Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 4 Dec 2020, 08:19 (Ref:4020530)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Festival of Speed

Annual speedfest, not necessarily historic.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 11:24 (Ref:4054424)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quiet thread......

I've never been to the FOS as it was always impossible to justify only a week or so after getting back from Le Mans, but this year I'll be there for all four days - as a volunteer. So if anyone is around and about the Flint Wall grandstand during the mornings on any of the days, look out for me stewarding there. I'll be out and about enjoying myself in the afternoons!
Old 3 Jun 2021, 11:28 (Ref:4054426)   #3
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
FoS is an utter delight and a joy. That’s a great place to spend time Aysedasi!

I really hope it goes ahead. A have a nagging fear that it may be a little too soon for such a big event. But it’s outdoors, the Govt seems to be holding the line on opening up, and if anyone can manage things its Goodwood - every event I have been to there has been superbly organised.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 13:03 (Ref:4054441)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think it will go ahead, although I wonder if the numbers will be significantly reduced? Still if they can have thousands on Bournemouth beach.....

Anyhow, I'm due to go there for a staff briefing a week or so beforehand. I think that's where I get issued with the baseball bat for use if I see anyone not social distancing and not wearing a mask.....
Old 3 Jun 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4054496)   #5
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I volunteered in 2015 - drove the courtesy car (Ford Kuga) between the entrance and the car park for Kinrara ticket holders. In the end only needed for two half day sessions over the three days. Good fun !
Old 3 Jun 2021, 19:22 (Ref:4054503)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s great fun. The paddock is really good. The rally stage is worth a walk up the hill for too.

I’ve not been since 2016. Would very much like to go back.
Old 3 Jun 2021, 20:13 (Ref:4054508)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
I volunteered in 2015 - drove the courtesy car (Ford Kuga) between the entrance and the car park for Kinrara ticket holders. In the end only needed for two half day sessions over the three days. Good fun !
I was certain that I'd get car park duty for four days..... But I hoped I've lucked in with grandstand stewarding. I'm doing the same for the three days of the Revival too.....

PS What's Kinrara?
Old 3 Jun 2021, 20:18 (Ref:4054512)   #8
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kinrara is the enclosure for the GRRC - it's a - if you have to ask the cost for the three days ...
Afraid these days the FoS is not for me - but then I am old enough to have been to the early ones.
Old 4 Jun 2021, 10:30 (Ref:4054573)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
For me, it's just something a bit different to do. Something I've never got round to before. I wouldn't have thought of it if a former colleague hadn't told me he was volunteering and suggested I give it a try. Anyhow, it's a chance to see the Glickenhaus as I won't get to see it at Le Mans....
Old 9 Jun 2021, 14:06 (Ref:4055415)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've done it twice now, Running and driving the MArcos and looking after the Siluro Lambretta which required a small gang of friends and fellow Lambretta nuts!

nothing like the revival, very relaxed and just a bit of fun. Nicely looked after as Goodwood do, and we just all camped a few nights up on the hill. A very pleasant weekend.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 14:48 (Ref:4055421)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
... but then I am old enough to have been to the early ones.
The early events really were something special. I went in 1995, which was the second or third one from memory, all the famous faces just mingling with the (not especially large) crowd not hidden away in some VIP enclosure and only popping out to get in their car.

Still worth going to every now and again though, but don't make the same mistake I did when I got a free ticket to the opening day a couple of years ago. I knew in advance there would be no runs up the hill, but they didn't even have the cars on display in the paddock, all there was to look at was the new car 'motorshow' and other stands. I was home in time for lunch.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 14:55 (Ref:4055422)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Still worth going to every now and again though,
Agreed - it's not a "must do every year" event for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
but don't make the same mistake I did when I got a free ticket to the opening day a couple of years ago. I knew in advance there would be no runs up the hill, but they didn't even have the cars on display in the paddock, all there was to look at was the new car 'motorshow' and other stands. I was home in time for lunch.
To be fair the Thursday is advertised as the "moving motorshow" and not a full day of the Festival Of Speed.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4055429)   #13
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
As with all popular events, it's easy enough to avoid the big crowds. At Goodwood that means walking up the hill to the Rally stage and the Hillclimb from Flint Wall up. Ignore the daytrippers and parading posh folk and just glory in the greatest collection of racing cars you will ever see.

In 2019 the star car was the Ford GT40 which won Le Mans in 1968 and 69. The actual car. Worth what...$100m? Priceless motor racing history. I walked round it parked outside the House; I was actually shaking with emotion. And it drove...fast...up the hill. Amazing.

There's nothing like the Festival of Speed.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 10:16 (Ref:4055511)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
As with all popular events, it's easy enough to avoid the big crowds. At Goodwood that means walking up the hill to the Rally stage and the Hillclimb from Flint Wall up. Ignore the daytrippers and parading posh folk and just glory in the greatest collection of racing cars you will ever see.

In 2019 the star car was the Ford GT40 which won Le Mans in 1968 and 69. The actual car. Worth what...$100m? Priceless motor racing history. I walked round it parked outside the House; I was actually shaking with emotion. And it drove...fast...up the hill. Amazing.

There's nothing like the Festival of Speed.
It ran up the hill in the same batch as me, I tailed it back down, I was quite close at one stage and braked, then realised what it was, and backed right off!
Old 14 Jun 2021, 17:31 (Ref:4056381)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well today's covid announcement will probably put the tin lid in this.
Old 14 Jun 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4056405)   #16
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Hoping to become a test event for larger crowds:

https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/festival-of-speed/

"The UK Government has announced there will be a further series of pilot events as part of the Events Research Programme (ERP) over the next four weeks. We are in discussions with the Government and public health authorities on finalising the details with regards to the Festival of Speed. We are expecting more information on the pilots to be announced later this week, at which point we will be able to confirm the next steps for this year’s event."

Not easy to postpone without bumping up against other events, particularly F1 GPs. Still, I'd have thought running later in the year with more people would be better even if it means compromises on star drivers and cars.
Old 14 Jun 2021, 20:31 (Ref:4056415)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes just got that e mail.
Old 15 Jun 2021, 08:40 (Ref:4056479)   #18
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
nearly 2 years ago . . . .seems like a dim and distant memory
Attached Thumbnails
fos1.jpg   fos2.jpg   fos3.jpg  

Old 15 Jun 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4056521)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
Hoping to become a test event for larger crowds:

Fingers crossed....
Old 20 Jun 2021, 20:13 (Ref:4057491)   #20
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was very lucky to go in the early days, before it became an event to be seen at and full of kids wanting to see Veyron's etc.

Too busy now, but if I could I would take a few days off, book a place and enjoy it properly over three days maybe.

It is not enough to go for one day really, too much to see and do, well there used to be.

And as is the case with a lot of ye olde stuff you go there to see a few cars and you see them literally driven on tick over up a blokes drive, which is a little frustrating for me personally, but understandable to some degree.
Old 20 Jun 2021, 20:24 (Ref:4057496)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I’m going to stick up for the format.

Kids wanting to see Veyrons is a good thing! Yes we are so much more sophisticated. But to see a kids enthusiasm is ace.

I agree that it can be too busy and some people go for different reasons to me. But whether you’re giddy for Dougie Lampkin type display, the Beast of Turin blasting up the hill, the new special edition 911, an F1 blast up the hill, or just to see a rare stock car trundle of the hill, or even to sit down in a nice location having a decent beer or maybe a champagne, it’s a motoring family.

There certainly is too much to see in a day. And often I see things and enjoy things that I am, in theory, not interested it in.

If it was only what I wanted then it would be very unoriginal and boring.

Although I do remember when Bob Dylan sold out. Judas.

Old 21 Jun 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4057628)   #22
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a test event according to their email I just received.

For all Festival of Speed attendees

Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard confirmed as a pilot event

Last week we contacted you to let you know how the Prime Minister’s statement (on 14 June) affected this year’s Festival of Speed presented by Mastercard, due to take place from 8 - 11 July.

Goodwood is pleased to confirm that the Festival of Speed will now form part of the Events Research Programme (ERP) as a pilot event.

The event is sold out across Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The capacities agreed with the ERP will mean that all 2021 Festival of Speed ticket, hospitality and grandstand pass holders will be able to attend as planned, including those with 2020 rolled over tickets.

As a pilot, all people on site will need to agree to the conditions of entry set out by the Events Research Programme in order to enjoy the event safely. This will include either having had both doses of the vaccine at least 14 days before the event, or proof of a negative Lateral Flow Test, which can be taken at home or at a recognised centre free of charge, within 48 hours of the event.

We will announce further details around conditions of entry, consent required from all fans to opt into the Event Research Programme and NHS Test and Trace requirements shortly.

At this stage there is still no requirement for you to contact us, but we encourage you to regularly visit goodwood.com/FOS which will host all the latest information you need to know about your attendance, as well as keeping an eye out for our email communications.

Thank you for your patience as we have worked through the options to make the event take place as planned next month; it promises to be a really special and memorable Festival of Speed.

We can’t wait to welcome you back to Goodwood again soon!

With best wishes,

The Goodwood Festival of Speed Team

© 2021 The Goodwood Estate Company Limited. Registered at Goodwood House, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18 0PX. Registered in England No. 553452.

View email in browser

Unsubscribe
Old 21 Jun 2021, 18:13 (Ref:4057665)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I got that too.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 16:08 (Ref:4060302)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Right, I'm up at the very silly hour of 4.45 am tomorrow morning to go and pick up my mate and then drive to Goodwood to be there for 6.30 am. I'm going to be feeling it after 4 days! If anyone is about, they can find me in the mornings up at the Flint Wall Grandstand.
Old 7 Jul 2021, 19:50 (Ref:4060334)   #25
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The gang are taking a Pre War Maserati GP and a AM Ulster.car.Real cars!
Best of luck