Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Feb 2024, 20:26 (Ref:4195950)   #2626
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ten points to Gerard for correctly identifying the RED R Reg Astra as my personal car.

Oh! And Smartie Smith has already provided the answer.
Old 9 Feb 2024, 20:55 (Ref:4195955)   #2627
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm starting to think there's something fishy going on here...?

Bob keeps telling us of this 'Smith' character, who never posts on here, yet somehow manages to answer all these puzzles before any of us geniuses can figure it out?

Something's amiss, and I'm starting to think 'Smith' is a figment of Bob's imagination, invented purely to make the rest of us look stupid... like we need any help in that department!
Old 9 Feb 2024, 22:21 (Ref:4195970)   #2628
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post

Bob keeps telling us of this 'Smith' character, who never posts on here, yet somehow manages to answer all these puzzles before any of us geniuses can figure it out?

Something's amiss, and I'm starting to think 'Smith' is a figment of Bob's imagination, invented purely to make the rest of us look stupid... like we need any help in that department!
Paul, not a figment, but I am beginning to suspect he is an expert hacker.
Old 10 Feb 2024, 00:57 (Ref:4195985)   #2629
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Ten points to Gerard for correctly identifying the RED R Reg Astra as my personal car.

Oh! And Smartie Smith has already provided the answer.
Alf's Stones are red as well AFAIK. Is it something to. do with newspapers.... black and white yet 'read' all over
Old 10 Feb 2024, 11:28 (Ref:4196018)   #2630
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Alf's Stones are red as well AFAIK.

Yeah, but they only discovered that after his operation...
Old 11 Feb 2024, 13:07 (Ref:4196138)   #2631
bauble
Veteran

England
It seems that with the season almost upon us, interest in puzzles is on the wane, so!
To round off the winter term, the final results

S auber
A ston Martin
O sca
R over
W inner
R ed R Reg Astra.

Re arranged as ARROWS, which when linked with argent (meaning silver)

We have a legendary racing cars the SILVER ARROWS.

To SSmith a;
Attached Images

Old 11 Feb 2024, 13:13 (Ref:4196139)   #2632
bauble
Veteran

England
Mea Culpa! I must confess to my own qualifications for membership of Club Stupido,

I had W for Williams Oops! It was a Sauber.

I had S for sprint.

Luckily SSmith saved my blushes, coming up with Sauber and winner, meaning that ARROWS still worked.

What's the address, Gerard?
Old 11 Feb 2024, 14:35 (Ref:4196147)   #2633
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Are the results SSmith great winner and me half only with "argent"? If you award SSmith may be you could him give a pair suiting a gentleman? I wont mention that gold is no silver and that your Astra is a Vauxhall, actually… With a V like Velcome to the Glub!
Old 11 Feb 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4196148)   #2634
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
To complete your application form to our now famous Stupido Club Fédération, can you tell us why far-fetched can be said "capillo tracté" in the official SCF language which is french? E.B can help…
Old 11 Feb 2024, 16:37 (Ref:4196162)   #2635
SSmith
Veteran

SSmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I can confirm that I am a real person (or am I...) just one who doesn't post very often on this forum!

I had a lucky run where the clues and pictures just clicked in my head for whatever reason for the ARGENT question (where Bauble gave me a very helpful hint after I answered TARGET) and ARROWS question.

I must take this opportunity to thank Bauble for sharing with us his excellent photographs and question-setting - its a most enjoyable way to spend some time.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 17:21 (Ref:4196168)   #2636
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
To complete your application form to our now famous Stupido Club Fédération, can you tell us why far-fetched can be said "capillo tracté" in the official SCF language which is french? E.B can help…
Me help with something far fetched is unlikely and hard to swallow. I thought a Capillo was a type of hat. Tiré par les cheveux

Its a worry when the quizmeister himself gets his own questions wrong. What hope do the rest of us have.
Old 11 Feb 2024, 17:39 (Ref:4196170)   #2637
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Me help with something far fetched is unlikely and hard to swallow. I thought a Capillo was a type of hat. Tiré par les cheveux. Its a worry when the quizmeister himself gets his own questions wrong.
Yes, "tiré par les cheveux" in short words very unlikely. Is there a confusion between Capillo and Borsalino or Sombrero here? Not new that the question is not understood by the quizmeister himself, but someone manages to go through his tortured mind.

SSmith, two things: very well done again; don't even think about applying in our Club. You're fired!
Old 11 Feb 2024, 23:59 (Ref:4196233)   #2638
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
SSmith, two things: very well done again; don't even think about applying in our Club. You're fired!

Seconded!

And another thing - I also reckoned on Williams - isn't that Jacques Villeneuve's helmet? Did he ever drive for Sauber? My memory, like many other things, must be failing me!

Plus, I'd like to know how the hell we're supposed to get 'winner' from a picture of a bunch of blokes on pushbikes? And 'R' from a picture of a Vauxhall Astra?

Still think there's something fishy about this whole thing!
Old 12 Feb 2024, 00:06 (Ref:4196234)   #2639
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
And another thing - I also reckoned on Williams - isn't that Jacques Villeneuve's helmet? Did he ever drive for Sauber?
2005 and 2006
Old 12 Feb 2024, 01:56 (Ref:4196266)   #2640
bauble
Veteran

England
Still think there's something fishy about this whole thing!

So speaks Captain Birdseye.
Old 12 Feb 2024, 22:01 (Ref:4196445)   #2641
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
2005 and 2006

Yes, it seems he finished his F1 career with two forgettable years at Sauber... which probably explains why I'd forgotten!
Old 13 Feb 2024, 12:11 (Ref:4196522)   #2642
bauble
Veteran

England
I don't like the Rolling Stones.

I sound noisy.

I am often in a hole.

I bloom in May.

We tend to babble.

I steal cows.

Old folk need me.

I do not hurry.

I have three stripes.

I sound like an office type.

This supposed to be a picture puzzle thread so;
Attached Thumbnails
Wally Hayes 036.JPG  
Old 13 Feb 2024, 17:04 (Ref:4196564)   #2643
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
1956 Royal Electric typewriter, daffodils photo Adidas delivery. Ta!
Old 13 Feb 2024, 17:56 (Ref:4196576)   #2644
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
1956 Royal Electric typewriter, daffodils photo Adidas delivery. Ta!
I think you are onto something there…..
60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 13 Feb 2024, 20:27 (Ref:4196588)   #2645
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Was hesitating, but cant bee the B Gees! I deserve Xerox point. But bow you say, Will, could it be "Secretary"? Read well, line by line, works fine with some accomodations, yes?
Old 16 Feb 2024, 00:40 (Ref:4196880)   #2646
bauble
Veteran

England
Identify the cars (makes), and name the driver.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1632.JPG   IMG_2190.JPG   94 (4).JPG  

IMG_2244.JPG   IMG_8461.JPG   IMG_1911.JPG  

Old 16 Feb 2024, 05:26 (Ref:4196893)   #2647
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
I quite liked the who am I quiz.
Almost got them all, except I thought a (Derek) Bell was noisy. Apparently not loud enough.

Oh and I didnt realise that babbling involved paddling.... and also a couple of body parts

This latest cars one I suspect I have taken the bait. Cars done. All fairly identifiable.
Drivers whose names appear on doors or windows were (perceived) easy. Others I guessed or avoided. I suspect I have headed in the wrong direction.
Old 16 Feb 2024, 20:05 (Ref:4196967)   #2648
bauble
Veteran

England
I suspect I have headed in the wrong direction.
E.B is online now Add to E.B's Reputation Report Post Quote Multi-Quote This Message Reply
Not unusual EB, but right again. Do I have to spell it out to you again?
Old 16 Feb 2024, 21:39 (Ref:4196980)   #2649
bauble
Veteran

England
EB as the sole Survivor pf the Winter Puzzle Club, why don't you publish the answers to the cryptic name quiz. You have earned the right to be acknowledged as an all round clever Dick.

Well done. Go to the top of the class.
Old 16 Feb 2024, 22:17 (Ref:4196983)   #2650
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
EB as the sole Survivor pf the Winter Puzzle Club, why don't you publish the answers to the cryptic name quiz. You have earned the right to be acknowledged as an all round clever Dick.
As requested.

I don't like the Rolling Stones. A rolling stone gathers no (Stirling) Moss

I sound noisy. I thought a (Derek) Bell was noisy. Apparently not loud enough.
Of course its Niki Lauda that Bob was after

I am often in a hole. Button (hole)

I bloom in May. I will say Hawthorn as Hawthorn bushes / hedges flower in May (in your part of the world anyway).

We tend to babble. (I failed to answer this one as I didnt realise that babbling involved paddling.... and also a couple of body parts. )
Tony (Toe knee) Brooks

I steal cows. George Russell (as in rustle, rustler)

Old folk need me. A Walker, Take your pick from Rob, Murray, Peter, David.

I do not hurry. Gone for a Stroll

I have three stripes. (Logan) Sargeant

I sound like an office type. Sounds like Clark. (Office Clerk)

Cordially,
A.R.C.Dick (retired)
Melbourne

PS Great questions. (At least I understood them this time!) Good work Bob.