Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 1 Sep 2021, 19:30 (Ref:4071541)   #541
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
But if they fail miserably...
There's a reason why OEMs prefer to control as much as possible. Beyond club level racing you can no longer build up a production car into a race car and race it without the OEM's blessing. The more exposure the series/class gets, the less OEMs will want to leave in the hands of privateers. This is why every LMDh manufacturer so far seem to have at least one works team and why I expect private teams to be vetted, especially in WEC.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 19:56 (Ref:4071546)   #542
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamasque View Post
But if they fail miserably...
There's a reason why OEMs prefer to control as much as possible. Beyond club level racing you can no longer build up a production car into a race car and race it without the OEM's blessing. The more exposure the series/class gets, the less OEMs will want to leave in the hands of privateers. This is why every LMDh manufacturer so far seem to have at least one works team and why I expect private teams to be vetted, especially in WEC.

if they fail, shame on private team...
OEM prefer to control as much as possible only when involved as full work team. I'll give you quick examples of my statement:
Joest won LM in 1996 and 1997 with a modified twr xjr-14 without roof powered by an old 962 derivated engine, joest was some kind of plan B for porsche since the work team was involved in GT1 with the new 911 gt1 (at least for 1996 if memory helps me).
Joest won both races, Porsche shared the glory adding those Joest victory in their LM palmares despite they officially ran against in 1996 .
Same about F333 that won at daytona, ferrari shared the glory despite their close to 0 effort.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 22:01 (Ref:4071561)   #543
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Did you notice how all of your examples are from 20+ years ago?

Nowadays, no money in the world will let you enter a privately developed AMG One LMH at Le Mans, unless you have a deal with Mercedes at a corporate level first. Because if the thing takes off into the French countryside again, it's Mercedes that will be in the news.
Old 1 Sep 2021, 22:20 (Ref:4071565)   #544
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Did you notice how all of your examples are from 20+ years ago?

Nowadays, no money in the world will let you enter a privately developed AMG One LMH at Le Mans, unless you have a deal with Mercedes at a corporate level first. Because if the thing takes off into the French countryside again, it's Mercedes that will be in the news.

luckly or unluckly some motorsport strategies tend to don't change across the time, change only circumstances.
Anyway speaking about audi, I just think audi was looking for a big USA private team willing to partially fund the IMSA program with own budget, something similiar to what was WRT some seasons ago, racing costs and managment up to the team, cars and drivers up to audi or maybe who knows how things really went
hope audi would find some extra cash to take part to 2023 daytona 24H with the WEC team at least.
Old 4 Sep 2021, 10:08 (Ref:4071934)   #545
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
luckly or unluckly some motorsport strategies tend to don't change across the time, change only circumstances.
Anyway speaking about audi, I just think audi was looking for a big USA private team willing to partially fund the IMSA program with own budget, something similiar to what was WRT some seasons ago, racing costs and managment up to the team, cars and drivers up to audi or maybe who knows how things really went
hope audi would find some extra cash to take part to 2023 daytona 24H with the WEC team at least.
Nope - take a listen to this week's #TWISC podcast where Marshall Pruett lays the whole story out there
Old 4 Sep 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4071953)   #546
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Nope - take a listen to this week's #TWISC podcast where Marshall Pruett lays the whole story out there

thanks, I'll listen it asap.
Update: I see, it's just what I've read here some days ago then... basically...

audi AG: hi
audi america: hi, will you give me the budget for a 2 cars IMSA work program?
audi AG: no no no no
audi america: and what about 1 car IMSA work program?
audi AG: no no no no
audi america: what? are you going to drop IMSA work program?
audi AG: yes yes yes yes

Last edited by canaglia; 4 Sep 2021 at 12:19.
Old 4 Sep 2021, 16:47 (Ref:4072005)   #547
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post

In other words, Marshall basically confirms what I posted here, what others have posted on other social media, and what Marshall himself hinted at in the Racer article--that Audi of America were unwilling to pay for most of the costs of the program, and effectively killed it. In other words, post 2008 ALMS all over again.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 16:50 (Ref:4073110)   #548
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Antonio Giovinazzi for a Ferrari Hypercar seat. What do we think?

Rumours are he's losing his F1 drive. Would make a lot of sense. If a guy like Buemi can go on to become the most successful driver in the WEC era then there's no reason why Antonio couldn't have a great career in sportscars. He already has a small amount of experience across GT and P2.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 17:25 (Ref:4073116)   #549
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Seeing as the Ilott rumours have died down, Giovinazzi would only be more likely, if he wasn't in the mix already. Ferrari will need all the prototype experience it can get.
Old 11 Sep 2021, 22:01 (Ref:4073169)   #550
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Strangely enough, lately he's been performing as well as he ever did. Maybe they'll keep him after all. What I noticed a while ago is that Giovinazzi is distinctly above average in traffic and in battles. He has this thing where he strategically places the car better than others during starts and other non-standard situations, much like Alonso. And much unlike Verstappen (and so many others in single seaters currently). He'd actually be suited for multi-class racing. Another current F1 driver that would make a good sports car racer is Stroll.

And I'm sure there'll be rumours about Kimi. But I doubt he'd like sharing the car, having a compromise setup and all that. Didn't he have a test with Peugeot back in the day?
Old 11 Sep 2021, 23:19 (Ref:4073178)   #551
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
He did, during his "time out" in 2011. Didn't work out, and he ended up at Lotus for 2012.

We know that Stroll has at least some interest in sportscars from his Daytona outings, but obviously his (father's) interest is going to remain in F1 for the time being!
Old 12 Sep 2021, 09:00 (Ref:4073217)   #552
canaglia
Veteran

I always considered giovinazzi an average driver a bit overrated actually, ok he drives a sauber so I don't expect he could run for important places but giovinazzi has always been so terribly incostant these seasons.
Not to consider he's almost 30, so it's not he has many margins of improvement yet to aspire to something better like getting a ferrari seat.

Guess life will go on anyhow if he will lose his f1 seat, even if the real joke here is ferrari that completely lost any little influence... they aren't even able to impose giovinazzi to one of their engine supplied teams while toto wolff in a couple of weeks managed to place one of his driver in sauber and forced albon to cut his ties with redbull (at least for 2022) to join williams.
Once again, the chad wolff the virgin (s)binotto
Old 12 Sep 2021, 12:29 (Ref:4073240)   #553
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
He did, during his "time out" in 2011. Didn't work out, and he ended up at Lotus for 2012.

We know that Stroll has at least some interest in sportscars from his Daytona outings, but obviously his (father's) interest is going to remain in F1 for the time being!
The sweet, sweet irony if Stroll was out there looking for a sportscar seat in a year or so after Aston's chairman had a direct hand in s**tcanning their Hypercar programme.
Old 12 Sep 2021, 18:59 (Ref:4073408)   #554
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Quote:
What I noticed a while ago is that Giovinazzi is distinctly above average in traffic and in battles.
Looks like I jinxed him.
Old 23 Sep 2021, 08:15 (Ref:4075104)   #555
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
More driver positioning ahead of The New Golden Age.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...-mans/6672493/