Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 13 Dec 2022, 11:57 (Ref:4136993)   #1151
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On a positive note the grandstands will never be sold out there!
Old 13 Dec 2022, 14:17 (Ref:4137012)   #1152
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
To try and claw back some positivity - Super Sebring might not be dead. But it's not a lock either - https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...season-opener/
A lot of non-committal comments from the ACO and the reference to F1 is very telling as the WEC is trying very hard to apply various successful F1 elements to its series. In doing so, it's becoming more and more dependent on government and corporate support (2-in-1 with the Qatar deal). Unfortunately, that means more glamour, less sport.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 14:24 (Ref:4137014)   #1153
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I have a stinking cold. I'm a bit short on positivity right now....
Qatar's climate surely offers less weather inflicted health issues than the UK.

Either way, speedy recovery!
Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:17 (Ref:4137023)   #1154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Qatar I assume will be run at night? But it hardly be the same as at Le Mans, as the track is floodlit throughout
Old 13 Dec 2022, 15:51 (Ref:4137043)   #1155
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Qatar I assume will be run at night? But it hardly be the same as at Le Mans, as the track is floodlit throughout
That would seem appropriately wasteful for one of the world's fossil fuel heavyweights and a racing series for cars with the best headlights in the world. Having said that, the climate seems very pleasant in February so who knows.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 19:06 (Ref:4137065)   #1156
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
A lot of non-committal comments from the ACO and the reference to F1 is very telling as the WEC is trying very hard to apply various successful F1 elements to its series. In doing so, it's becoming more and more dependent on government and corporate support (2-in-1 with the Qatar deal). Unfortunately, that means more glamour, less sport.
i was actually thinking, what if the payout was high enough to cover air freight for the rest of the calendar? That would certainly open up track options and timing of rounds. Maybe wouldn't need 2 months between races.
Old 13 Dec 2022, 22:08 (Ref:4137076)   #1157
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
i was actually thinking, what if the payout was high enough to cover air freight for the rest of the calendar? That would certainly open up track options and timing of rounds. Maybe wouldn't need 2 months between races.
Yeah I was wondering the same. I reckon at least they could be covering the costs out there and maybe onwards to round 2. Plus maybe some other fees. I mean - they clearly air freighted those hypercars out there just for the press conference.
Old 14 Dec 2022, 16:44 (Ref:4137182)   #1158
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, that's the jist of it... It's more that need a race, or rather a warm weather race, to fit that hole between Daytona and Sebring. And outside of South America and South Asia, choices are a scant few and far between.
If only the governments of the nations in North Africa were a bit more stable, like 1920's stable, then it would be just right. Kylami(sp) is just too damned far for a one-off.
Old 15 Dec 2022, 12:39 (Ref:4137247)   #1159
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Yeah I was wondering the same. I reckon at least they could be covering the costs out there and maybe onwards to round 2. Plus maybe some other fees. I mean - they clearly air freighted those hypercars out there just for the press conference.

There is one key aspect to the WEC/Quatar deal that many seem to have overlooked so far. If we take a closer look at the huge banner in the background, we can see that the state-owned airline Quatar Airways is also involved in this deal! H.E. Mr. Akbar Al Baker, Qatar Airways Group CEO and Chairman of Qatar Tourism, even attended the launch event!

This is important, because:
Over the last couple of years, the WEC’s calendar was designed with sea freight in mind. In this post Covid world, air freight has become very expensive and the downside of using ships instead of planes is that they are significantly slower. That explains the very small number of races on the last two calendars.

“F1 manages to do 23 races within a year, why can’t WEC do the same?” some may ask. First of all, F1 is a significantly more expensive sport. It relies on the much more expensive air travel, which at the moment simply is not an option for the WEC – even if some manufacturers could afford spending a lot more, the WEC also has to allow for small privateers to afford competing, as they are a big part of this sport! To add to that, F1 has DHL as a strong partner in logistics. Quatar Airways – the third largest international cargo carrier in the world – could become something similar for the WEC.

If this deal indeed means more affordable air travel, this could be a significant help in the WEC’s plans to grow in the coming years. 2024 will likely see 8 races on the calendar, but according to DSC, there are efforts to go back to 9 rounds after that. Better yet, apparently even 10 races are now being considered a future possibility!

Asked about why the WEC’s choice fell on Quatar, WEC CEO Frédéric Lequien told SC365 that Quatar "clearly supports" them. Whether that means just financially or also logistically was not answered, but he stressed the importance of "having the support in certain countries", to then be able to still visit "traditional circuits in Europe where we do not have any support".

At the end of the day, this could really be a good step and if it allows for a further expansion of the calendar, I am very much looking forward to it!

I read this from lemanshypercarnews in instagram and I found it very interesting.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CmL_u1IN...d=MTg0ZDhmNDA=
Old 15 Dec 2022, 12:58 (Ref:4137249)   #1160
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And Qatar has plenty of large aircraft on order or in fleet without much need. And fuel costs aren't really their main concern
Old 16 Dec 2022, 16:34 (Ref:4137357)   #1161
RL17
Racer

United Kingdom
Maidstone, Kent
RL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRL17 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
On MWM they referred to state subsidiaries financing the Qatar airlines losses and lots of European carriers withdrawing from market and other aspects like making quick transfer over to Sebring afterwards possible.
Old 16 Dec 2022, 21:23 (Ref:4137381)   #1162
Coach Ep
Veteran

I'm sure the EU is thrilled with all of that and wanting to investigate so it can sanction organisations taking advantage of Qatar's generous pricing proposals...
Old 17 Dec 2022, 07:49 (Ref:4137404)   #1163
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm sure the EU is thrilled with all of that and wanting to investigate so it can sanction organisations taking advantage of Qatar's generous pricing proposals...
Haha, yes great timing!
Old 19 Dec 2022, 11:37 (Ref:4137560)   #1164
Mike E
Veteran

Some more positive noises about Isotta Fraschini. It would be great to see another small team have a crack at the big boys.

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...-imminent.html
Old 19 Dec 2022, 15:23 (Ref:4137586)   #1165
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That actually sounds like very encouraging progress.....
Old 20 Dec 2022, 07:17 (Ref:4137620)   #1166
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Very encouraging, I love this project. I do sense they're going to have to rush through the homologation before thoroughly testing, snagging and developing the car though, which maybe doesn't bode well in terms of performance and reliability...?
Old 20 Dec 2022, 10:18 (Ref:4137637)   #1167
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if they're trying to persist with ambitious timeframes (and talk of 2023 debut) in a bid to try to flush out potential investors quicker.

All the ingredients are there, but I tend to agree James, I don't see how they will hit the relevant deadlines whilst being anywhere near competitive. I doubt they'd be allowed to do a Peugeot and rock up at Monza. You're not going to put down the full-season entry costs without some degree of certainty you'll make the grid, surely?

2024 feels far more achievable and good luck to them.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 14:11 (Ref:4137670)   #1168
Coach Ep
Veteran

Breaking into the Hypercar ranks in 2024 might be even harder considering the announced entries by Lambo, BMW and, possibly, additional privateer Porsche(s). Plus there are the Honda/Acura rumors floating around. Participation in 2023 by a non main-manufacturer surely will be looked at favorably by the WEC/ACO in order to secure a 2024 entry spot.

Wishing them all the best regardless.

Edit - from the DSC article:
Quote:
The coming days will see a team selected after an initial four potential partner teams from across Europe were distilled down to a final two. Isotta is confident that the selected outfit will provide not only the racing infrastructure required, but also have the commercial backing to deliver the programme.
Might that be United Autosport? Or do we think it's an Italian based outfit?

Last edited by Coach Ep; 20 Dec 2022 at 14:18.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 17:36 (Ref:4137691)   #1169
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Some more positive noises about Isotta Fraschini. It would be great to see another small team have a crack at the big boys.

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2022/...-imminent.html
Sounds very serious.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 19:52 (Ref:4137701)   #1170
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
Very encouraging, I love this project. I do sense they're going to have to rush through the homologation before thoroughly testing, snagging and developing the car though, which maybe doesn't bode well in terms of performance and reliability...?
Glickenhaus came out of the gates with pretty good reliability and minimal testing if i recall. I think it can be done, and would love to see this car and some additional Glick's on the grid in the hands of privateers.
Old 20 Dec 2022, 22:06 (Ref:4137707)   #1171
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Glickenhaus also had several years of endurance races as part of their experience. Granted nurburgring and wec have their differences, but that experience is still something glick had as a squad.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 01:55 (Ref:4137718)   #1172
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Glickenhaus came out of the gates with pretty good reliability and minimal testing if i recall. I think it can be done, and would love to see this car and some additional Glick's on the grid in the hands of privateers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Glickenhaus also had several years of endurance races as part of their experience. Granted nurburgring and wec have their differences, but that experience is still something glick had as a squad.
Sorry my ignorance but what parts of the p4/p5 or the SCG003 were used in the SCG 007 for reliability issues?
Old 21 Dec 2022, 03:48 (Ref:4137722)   #1173
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Probably some, but more importantly it is experience. We need a new part for a new car. Well build it with the learnings from the last car.
Old 21 Dec 2022, 09:54 (Ref:4137743)   #1174
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Behind Isotta Fraschini is Michelotto who was in charge of the production of the Ferrari 488 GTE & GT3, so experience, they have some to spare...
Old 21 Dec 2022, 16:21 (Ref:4137790)   #1175
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
I was referring to the actual race engineering experience. IF may be bringing some of it in, but comparing glick and the IF potential entry with what this internet commenter knows today, I'd say glickenhaus was more prepared to take a green flag.