Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Oct 2000, 12:00 (Ref:42550)   #1
Dean T
Rookie

Dean T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although Button has been very impressive this season he has proved how much Ralf Schumacher is overated, Ralf only got his status at wiiliams because Zanardi was so poor. Ralf is supposed to be an expert of Suzuka but Jenson outqualified him on his first visit as he did at Spa, 2 of the most challenging circuits in F1 nowadays and has made less mistakes I keep reading how Ralf thinks that Montoya will struggle, but I think that he fears him!
Old 12 Oct 2000, 12:43 (Ref:42561)   #2
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe he is overated because we expected a lot from him, his brother is the best driver now days, he proved to have the skills, but he might have one of those stand under pressure problems, and it has´nt been the two most pleasent years for williams, so all the looks are at the poor shum jr., anyway he is the best driver not seated in a mac or a ferrari, and even better than some nº2 drivers of those teams.
Old 12 Oct 2000, 12:45 (Ref:42563)   #3
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think twice on judgements,Dean T.

Hakkinen won his first GP race at aged 29.
Old 12 Oct 2000, 14:04 (Ref:42576)   #4
tazzoid
Rookie

tazzoid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But does anyone else get the impression that Ralf is more a member of the team than Jenson, who is just using the car to launch his carreer? I don't know if it's just that Ralf has been there longer and is more settled, but in interviews etc. it just seems like he puts the interests of Williams at least level with his own racing. Jenson is willing to help with the car when it gives him problems, of course...

Anyway, I wouldn't even be in F1 if my brother was Michael Schumacher. Talk about an inferiority complex!
Old 12 Oct 2000, 19:22 (Ref:42614)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean T
I keep reading how Ralf thinks that Montoya will struggle, but I think that he fears him!
No, Dean. You don't really keep reading. You have just read the exact same comments several times.

Ralf is most definitely the best driver outside of the top two teams, and I have no doubt that he is a better driver than Rubens Barrichello.

You're judging too quickly - Ralf is not overrated. He is just under a lot of pressure to perform as the brother of a now triple world champion.

Old 13 Oct 2000, 00:16 (Ref:42666)   #6
jarama
Racer

jarama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dean T,

If I'm not wrong, Suzuka wasn't a new track for Jenson at all. He was there racing SuperKarts -250cc.-, two years ago.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 01:36 (Ref:42676)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In Ralf's defense, he hasn't exactly been driving the best cars throughout his career. Last season, in a Williams team in the doldrums, he drove brilliantly and looked a lot better than Frentzen and JV had the year before. His one possibility to win last season was ruined by a blown tire-the European GP should have been his. Not to diminish Bunsen's first year achievements, but qualifyingposition is great, but points count more and Ralf leads there.

Recalling that Ralf and the highly-rated Fisichella were teamates at Jordan in '97, it once seemed that the young Roman was the future WDC and that Ralf's career would be brief and tragic. He has matured immensely and Fisi is becoming mired in mediocrity.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 08:04 (Ref:42696)   #8
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jarama
Dean T,

If I'm not wrong, Suzuka wasn't a new track for Jenson at all. He was there racing SuperKarts -250cc.-, two years ago.

According to Martin Brundle on ITV, he had raced at Suzuka before, but it was a kart track across the road, I think in 100cc non gearbox karts.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 08:10 (Ref:42697)   #9
crash
Rookie

crash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think alot of it has to do with the fact that TGF is his brother. otherwise, I don't anyone would even mention him being overrated.

He is probably not as good a TGF, but I doubt TGF would be much faster if he was in a williams
Old 13 Oct 2000, 19:03 (Ref:42776)   #10
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

Recalling that Ralf and the highly-rated Fisichella were teamates at Jordan in '97, it once seemed that the young Roman was the future WDC and that Ralf's career would be brief and tragic. He has matured immensely and Fisi is becoming mired in mediocrity.

Quite right, EERO. Well said.

I read something similar on the Autosport website a while ago by Nigel Roebuck. He said that although Fisichella was once considered a better prospect, most teams would now not sign Fisichella if they thought they could sign Ralf instead.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 20:43 (Ref:42787)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I realize that it is hard to compare the two drivers because they are driving for 2 different teams, but I would still rate Fissi as a better driver than Ralf (Sorry Ralf's girl). Although he is behind Ralf in the points standings, he makes fewer mistakes than Ralf, and has put that Benetton in places it should never have been. Like on the podium!

I am not sure that Ralf is overrate though. I haven't heard many people, apart from Ralf's Girl say that he was anything terribly special. In addition to the 4 drivers at McLaren and Ferrari, I would also rate Fissi and Villeneuve as better drivers than Ralf.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 21:09 (Ref:42791)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I'm not just saying this because I'm biased (I know, I know...) but I rate Ralf as a better driver than Fisichella and Barrichello. Barrichello because he has generally been very poor this year, and half the time he has never even looked like he wanted to be in the race, and Fisichella because while you say he makes fewer mistakes, perhaps you are actually saying he's not trying as hard as Ralf? Sir Frank hasn't had to lay into Ralf this season for not trying has he, unlike Falvio Briatore has done to Fisichella. Fisichella has far more off days than Ralf, and has brought the car home outside of the points more frequently as well.
Old 13 Oct 2000, 21:57 (Ref:42797)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf is a very good driver, and a steady pointscorer and podium finisher. He has proven that over the last two seasons. During his spell with Jordan he was testing the limits, to see how fast he could go without falling off, and now he has become very consistent. Fisichella had the edge over him when they were team-mates at Jordan, but I doubt if he is better at the present time.

Jay, I have the opposite impression, I actually remember quite a lot of people saying Ralf is special, some even saying that he's faster than his brother. Anyone remember Indy BTW? Ralf would have been second had he not been forced to retire from the race through no fault of his own.

I think Ralf and Montoya will be a formidable force for Williams next year, and I think they both will win race(s).

Ralf is not the best driver outside the top two teams, however. That is Jacques Villeneuve.
Old 14 Oct 2000, 01:56 (Ref:42824)   #14
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jay, I for one rate him third out there and feel that Fisi has really slipped. I think R explains it perfectly; now that he knows the limits, he is both fast and consistent.
Old 14 Oct 2000, 03:09 (Ref:42837)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Don't get me wrong here, I would still rate Ralf as a very good driver, but I feel that Mika, David, Michael, Jacques, and Giancarlo appear a little more skilled to me. I take back Rubens.

It is really too bad that we cant see these guys all go at each other with the same equipment.
Old 14 Oct 2000, 10:21 (Ref:42854)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I think that now, given the same equipment, Ralf would make Giancarlo Fisichella look like an amateur.
Old 14 Oct 2000, 16:26 (Ref:42901)   #17
Dani
Rookie

Dani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

How do u mean Ralf is over rated?? Cos he doesn't get rated! Getting Rated is like Murray Walker with JB!! Ralf has proved he is best of the rest this season. I dont think he fears Montoya he was just saying what he thought, which is true what Ralf said! Montoya could turn out brilliant, but not as good as Ralf. He has proved time and time again how good he is. What more do u want???
Old 14 Oct 2000, 16:31 (Ref:42903)   #18
White Van Man
Racer

White Van Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What more do I want ? I want Montoya in F1 NOW! Bring him on - can't wait - he reminds me of 'Our Nige' in the way he drives

As for JB, I don't believe he ever drove a 125 or 250 gearbox kart. I think he was always in 100cc direct drive machines.
Old 14 Oct 2000, 22:08 (Ref:42955)   #19
Dani
Rookie

Dani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmmm Montoya ey???? God i have nothing against the guy YET!!:l(only kiddin) But im so sick of hearing his name! Is anyone else? Its just Montoya this Montoya that! I mean im looking forward to him coming into F1 to see if he is as good as people are making out, i think he wil Be OK, I mean he is gonna be better than Zanardi, i mean who isn't????null
Old 14 Oct 2000, 22:46 (Ref:42975)   #20
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
"God i have nothing against the guy YET!!"

You will if you ever meet the little a**hole.
Old 15 Oct 2000, 01:38 (Ref:42985)   #21
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can't say Ralf is overrated! At the moment it seems that very few people rate him at all. Was it not in the last race that Martin was saying what a terrible season Ralf's having? If you look at the standings you will see that Ralf is fifth in the WDC, and only a win by Fisi and a nil-points from Ralf can displace him. I think it's fair to say that the highest feasible place for non-McLaren/Ferrari drivers is fifth. He has twice as many points as his team-mate, who I'll admit is a rookie, but if he's soo good then why is he as far behind in terms of points. The so-called "terrible" Zanardi (I don't believe he was, maybe f1 was just too different from CARTS for him)outqualified Ralf on occasion in a similar situation to Button, so Button's qualifying shouldn't be used as a benchmark. David better than Ralf? Wasn't it earlier in teh year (I think at Nurburgring), when the track started to get greasy, that Ralf closed up on both Dc and Mika, and proceeded to overtake David? Eventually his car gave in and the manouvere was conveniently forgoton by the British media. Also, remember when at Jordan with Fisi in '97, Fisi had already been in F1 as a driver with Minardi and a test-driver. Also Fisi is a few years older than Ralf too. People also tend to forget that Fisi made his fair share of errors too, it's just that everyone had taken a disliking to Ralf and didn't mention it. Ralf still holds the record for hte youngest driver to have been on teh poduim (did it in only his third race, and could have been potentially second, as Fisi intervened when running in that position allowing Irvine through). He also had great races in Spa'98 (he was faster than Damon, and wasn't allowed to race him for the win), and in Silverstone '98 where David, Damon and coutless others crashed and Mika was amongst many to aquaplane on the track.
I rest my case. (For now anyway....)
Dhru.
Old 15 Oct 2000, 02:07 (Ref:42987)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I don't think Ralf is over rated at all, I think he is a very good driver. The BMW-Williams is an improving car this year, while the Ferrar and McLaren are exceptional. However, I cannot go along with the argument that Ralf is better than Jacques - that IS just daydreaming. Fisi this year is in a very difficult situation, because Benneton has stopped all development on their current car with a view to getting next year's car right. Fisi is a very good driver, but hte latter half of this year has seen Benneton let both drivers down. How the Renault will perform straight out of the box is anybody's guess. I think that the Fisi + Bunsen team could be very strong if the engine is strong. Honda did very well in their first year back in F1, and I cannot see why Renault cannot. I only wish that tehy would let Minardi have the Renault engine occassionally for comparison, Right MF??
Old 15 Oct 2000, 02:51 (Ref:42990)   #23
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm...so now for a conclusion...
RALF IS a great driver/racer...but like his brother, tends to fare better during races than in qualifyings.

To rate him with other drivers in a race

1)Michael
2)Mika
3)Jacques
4)Ralf
5)Trulli
6)Button/Dc
7)Fisi
8)frentzen/Ruben
8)Eddie/Alesi
Old 16 Oct 2000, 07:22 (Ref:43154)   #24
ally
Rookie

ally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

T Dhru and GT_R about spot on with the analysis - I think Ralf is a quiet achiever, is consistent, and Martin Brundle was referring to bad luck not poor driving in his comment.

Jacques just needs a better car, DC just happens to be in the best thre is, and Trulli needs to avoid Button - if he can!
Old 17 Oct 2000, 11:44 (Ref:43314)   #25
timo
Rookie

timo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EERO - HHF did better result than Ralf in the Williams and
next year with the Jordan. 1999 3rd in WDC.
So i'dont knoww why are you saing thats Ralf looks better
than HHF in the Williams, just look s the drivers standing at the end in 1997-1998-1999. No doubt abaout it.
And this year the only driver non MAC-FER that made laps in front of evbdy 9 laps HHF
So thats all folks.