Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 22 Mar 2004, 16:06 (Ref:915289)   #1
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimbs and Sprints

Anyone at Prescott 3rd and 4th April?
Lister
Old 23 Mar 2004, 07:24 (Ref:916104)   #2
james_williams
Racer

james_williams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am afraid not.

My first meeting of the year will be the Traditional Loton Park in April on Easter Sunday/Monday (If I get an entry)!

I know they were struggling for entries at this Prescott. I think they only had 160 entries as opposed to the more normal 200. Hopefully they got their full quota.

Anyhow, what championships are you guys doing? I am concentrating on the Midland Hillclimb Championship but will also do a couple of the HSA Aldon Speed Championship.

Also, what cars do all you hillclimbers drive? We can then keep an eye out for you.

I'll Start! I share a Dallara TKD02 with my dad in the Racing cars upto 1600cc class.

Show us what you got!
Attached Thumbnails
smalldallara.jpg  
Old 23 Mar 2004, 07:51 (Ref:916121)   #3
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Cars and events

I usually run a 1969 Ginetta G17 single seater ,sometimes a 1973 Ginetta G15 turbo running in mod-prod and occassionally a vintage 1936 Riley 9 Special.

I compete in Ginetta Speed champs,Aldon /HSA,Paul Matty Classic and Loton Park-Hagley members events.
I will be at Loton 10th/11th April.
Lister
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:04 (Ref:917737)   #4
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be doing a selection of event in the twin North Kent Specials the events will be rounds of the Sevenoaks speed league.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 19:56 (Ref:923258)   #5
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well they first green light of the season as far as the Mids goes is this weekend at Prescott. That is if you don't count the Hagley test day at Loton.

Whats new for the weekend. Who is coming out to play?

May see you all there.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 20:58 (Ref:923321)   #6
sawbench
Rookie

sawbench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, I'll be coming up from the south to see my first fill of cars for the 04 season. Don't know if Fleetwood will be there or Wight Junior. Probably not as they don't do Midland Hill climb championship normally.

Hope the weather will be good as can be a good day out if there are no delays at Prescott, but there seems to be when a car goes off into the gravel and they have to get the digger keys...

See you all there
Old 29 Mar 2004, 23:43 (Ref:923442)   #7
Fireblade
Racer

And not to mention the dust blowers and general paraphenalia that they seem to kit the Prescott mob with.
How long will it be before the marshals there will be replaced by automatons?

I always wondered why that bale tractor never just speared the odd Mallock or two to remove it from the track and let us get on with it.

But hey, thats Prescott for you.

Bacon sandwiches they are a snip at £14.50 each

Last edited by Fireblade; 29 Mar 2004 at 23:47.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 23:50 (Ref:923446)   #8
sawbench
Rookie

I say Fireblade, that's a bit harsh. steady on...

We down South at Wiscombe tend to live with less facilities than Prescott and yet put on an equally as good day out for the people and the drivers. OK, the odd dog may appear that seems to annoy you, Mr Fireblade, but the sun tends to shine and the sport is good.

Still, I look forward to meeting you on your fireblade in the car park. Hope it doesn't sink in the muddy car park though.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 19:13 (Ref:924367)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sawbench & Fireblade, welcome to ten-tenths. Your comments are welcome as are everyone else's.
It was very enlightening to read your comments; re Prescott.

I will make an assumption here (and stand to be corrected) that neither of you have ever marshalled during my 18yrs on-the-bank at most Prescott meetings.
If the above is true (which we accept for the time being and sake of this post) then neither of you will have the slightest idea of the outside pressures being put upon current Venues and Clerks in the shape of Health and Safety Regulations. Until you are in that position, please be careful about what you say/type/post etc.

I, on the other hand, have a very limited knowledge about the trials and tribulations that may face competitors at a meeting BUT I know EXACTLY just what the Venues and Clerks are doing for Marshals!!! For the most, they are trying to protect both themselves and us. THAT is why there is a "Tonka Toy" at Prescott, THAT is why we "give-a-car-one-go" to get it out of the gravel trap (we're marshals after all and love to get our hands on a car!!), but if the driver has buried it then there is a possibility of injuries to marshals (strains etc), claims against insurance, (higher premiums=higher entry fees), or even worse, the marshals not returning!!!

Quote:
if there are no delays at Prescott, but there seems to be when a car goes off into the gravel and they have to get the digger keys...
Just who put that car into the gravel ?????????

Quote:
And not to mention the dust blowers and general paraphenalia that they seem to kit the Prescott mob with.
ALL of which is designed to help "The Prescott (highly trained and very experienced) Mob" be more efficient and so allow more time for racing !!!!!!!!!!!

So to sum up,
I would like the pair of you to consider a couple of options;

1) think of the bigger picture,
2) think about others

but most importantly........

3) come and have a pint with us in the Marshal's Pound!!

you'd be surprised just what can be achieved with a little integration between drivers/marshals/officials, especially when done over a couple of drinks!!

We all want the same thing so let's not have any digs in public please.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 21:16 (Ref:924464)   #10
sawbench
Rookie

Hello CrazyStu

Please do not tar me with the same brush as Fireblade... The words 'equally as good as Prescott' shows I enjoy my day out there with my wife. She loves it. What have I got against Prescott??? I pay my money to get in and I enjoy. I will see through the 'two of you' wording and enough be done with it.

Yes, it is interesting to hear what you have to say about the digger coming out to the stranded car in the gravel trap, but when I go to Shelsley and a car goes over the edge to the left, or indeed anywhre else where it needs moving from, there is no digger there to get the car out (I believe) It seems to me that the marshals pull it out themselves, or man handle it if it is wedged in at TopS. Surely it is as equally as easy for someone to have a "possibility of injuries to marshals (strains etc)" doing that, and yet it gets done.

Are there different rules elswhere?

I'd be interested to hear what else there is in place on other hills that I have not been to such as Barbon and Harewood and Doune?

Hear from you
Old 30 Mar 2004, 21:36 (Ref:924486)   #11
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Venues and people

I am competing at Presoctt this weekend,Loton next weekend and Wiscombe the following weekend.
1-The digger at Prescott is most welcome as it enables us to continue our runs asap.Lots of history and always a good event
2-I don't recall any problems at Wiscombe over last 8 years apart from some wet and muddy conditions,but we still go back!
3-Loton,for me the best hill in the UK!
4-Shelsley,lovely venue,good garages,run seems so simple but in fact is the opposite.
5-Harewood,probably the most welcoming and an exceptional venue in good weather

But the Marshalls and the competitors are the most important items !!!!
Lister
Old 30 Mar 2004, 21:50 (Ref:924505)   #12
sawbench
Rookie

Yes - Loton is cracking. Shelsley too. Bags of atmosphere

Spectators such as I are needed too though. Be a bit duff if there was no-one there to see the cars. The clubs wouldn't make any money so the meeting would be a loss or is there enough money from the entry fees and the sponsors?
Old 31 Mar 2004, 01:20 (Ref:924650)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
At Shelsley we've got a man with a Hi-ab, and he's a genius at getting cars out of various holes and hillsides. I suspect, though, that it just seems different at Shelsley since we stop every so often for batch returns. Prescott runs continuously so you'll be much more aware of a delay when it happens.

It can't be the marshalling, because it's nearly all the same bunch anyway!

And Stu has raised the most important point - feel free to join the marshals for a drink at any hill climb. We're a friendly bunch and always welcoming to anyone who wants to join us with a beer.
Old 31 Mar 2004, 07:21 (Ref:924870)   #14
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Spectators

Sorrry I suppose I was thinking of the participants ie
competitors ,marshalls and organisers.
Of course we would sorely miss the spectators,who show a lot of interest in our cars and contribute very importantly to the day both financially and the spirit of the meeting.
Lister
Old 31 Mar 2004, 20:30 (Ref:925615)   #15
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Hillclimbs and Sprints

Quote:
Originally posted by listernoble
Anyone at Prescott 3rd and 4th April?
Lister
sorry lister, I completely forgot to answer your original question!

Mrs Crazy and I will be down on Friday night to spend another enjoyable weekend in and around the infamous marshal's pound!!
Whilst we might actually treat ourselves to a meal in the Shutters on Fri, we will be in the Pound from around 9;30pm Fri until sometime Sun night (apart from time on-the-bank!!)

please feel free to join us for a drink (although we have a limited supply) but be sure you remember the golden rule of the Marshal's Pound........

Thow Shalt Not Repeat Whatever Thow Might Hear!!! (whatever you may discuss, which is anything!!!! )

The Pound is Sacred Ground.

Please respect it.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 17:42 (Ref:926604)   #16
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I'll be down on Friday night - hopefully dossing down in the pound - Mrs Crow is sadly elsewhere

FYI Sawbench, the reason for the difference between Shelsley and Prescott is mainly to do with having the right kit to deal with the jobs you are likely to get. For example, Getting a low single seater out of a gravel trap at Ettories or Pardon at Prescott, requires different kit to that needed for pulling a car 40ft down the valley behind Crossing at Shelsley. The terrain is different and so (very often) is the damage most commonly caused to the cars. At Gurston, there is yet another set of equipment again because the most common accident is a front end in at Karusel or Ashes. So most of the recoveries are front end half lifts. Add to that the fact we have little room to store the recovery and not much turning space and that makes the Flatbed or Tonka Toy innapropriate or unneeded, the Flatbed would be too big and there are small tow trucks that can move faster than a Tonka, so that's what we have.
Old 1 Apr 2004, 18:39 (Ref:926656)   #17
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Prescott

I will be there around 3pm tomorrow,unload,walk the hill meet a few pals and leave around 5.30 for a beer down the road.
I stay with mates in Cheltenham but will be back around 7.45 Saturday morning,leave again after practice around 6.00pm but hope I will see you all before I go.Normally I leave asap after the timed runs and presentations as it's a long way to Norfolk!
Lister
Old 1 Apr 2004, 19:05 (Ref:926688)   #18
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Re: Prescott

Quote:
I will be there around 3pm tomorrow,unload,walk the hill meet a few pals and leave around 5.30 for a beer down the road.Lister
If "down the road" is the Shutters then we'll see you there after we've got set-up in the Pound. If not, be sure to visit us before leaving on Saturday.

Mrs C and I will be easy to spot as we both have ten-tenths polo shirts !!! (sad or what??)
Old 5 Apr 2004, 06:50 (Ref:930580)   #19
james_williams
Racer

So how was Prescott guys?? Lister, how did you get on??
Old 5 Apr 2004, 07:10 (Ref:930595)   #20
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Prescott

The weather was pretty horrible,wet and a bit cold, so the speeds were down but it was a good shakedown for the season and my gearbox and ratios seem very good.
I was pleased with my times considering the conditions.
Waited with a beer in trackside tent on Saturday after the runs hoping to met some of you ,but no one there and also popped into Marshals pound on Sunday morning but could not see the 10/10ths Tee shirts!
I'm at Loton next weekend so hope to see some of you there.
Lister
Old 5 Apr 2004, 08:34 (Ref:930677)   #21
james_williams
Racer

Lister, will be at Loton too. Sorry to hear about the weather at Prescott, hopefully it will be better at Loton. (We can but pray!)Glad to hear it went well. Who won the run offs??
Old 5 Apr 2004, 17:22 (Ref:931279)   #22
Fireblade
Racer

Well best get yoursel a good prayer mat then James.
You will need it for the seasons opener at Loton.
There again it has been known to be nearly tropical there at Easter on the odd occasion.A little climate of its own. One year I didn't know what to wear from one minute to the next. Actually got a suntan in the day and drove home after practice in a snowstorm.

See you all for the annual snowball fight!!!
Old 5 Apr 2004, 18:50 (Ref:931387)   #23
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Re: Prescott

Quote:
Waited with a beer in trackside tent on Saturday after the runs hoping to meet some of you ,but no one there and also popped into Marshals pound on Sunday morning but could not see the 10/10ths Tee shirts!
There was no time at all during the weekend that the t'shirts were visible, too damn cold and wet !!!

So why did you not announce yourself on Sunday, even as a driver wanting to see a Marshal's briefing ??? you would have been more than welcome.

But even with the weather, it was a good weekend, some cracking runs and noone got hurt (except maybe in the wallet!!)

we WILL find you at Loton and there will be loads more ten-tenthers than there were at Prescott.

Stu.

p.s. even had my 10-tenths handle used over the airways at Prescott by the C of C !!!
looks like I better be careful about my future posts !!
Old 5 Apr 2004, 19:01 (Ref:931403)   #24
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
Crazystu

I did ask some of the marshalls in the pound if they knew any 10/10 th'ers and got a very blank look.
I'm No 132 at Loton in a Ginetta G17 single seater,so hope we will meet!
I bet I know some of you anyway,I have a pal Fyrth Crosse who used to marshall but is now a competitor,do you know him?
He will also be there
Lister
Old 5 Apr 2004, 20:06 (Ref:931472)   #25
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hillclimbs and Sprints

Hi all, just a reminder to anyone who wants to enter the BARC Midlands Sprint at Curborough on 1st May to get your entries in soon. Regs and entry forms are available from the BARC website - www.barc.net. Click on the centres section and you will find the Midlands Centre page there.

Hope to see as many of you as possible.

Sheila