Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Dec 2019, 17:40 (Ref:3946562)   #2101
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Without getting too political on tenths, just having a government with a working majority will help get brexit done. Hopefully!
Well Mike, you should have a change in your life and be a stand up comedian (well it made me laugh)
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Dec 2019, 18:05 (Ref:3946565)   #2102
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Gordon, its only now you notice what a great comedian we have here…

Guyyyys, no worry, I tell you ten more days. Ten short days and we'll know the truth! At Christmas, you can't lie… Sleep well!

Last edited by Gerard C; 13 Dec 2019 at 18:27.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3946570)   #2103
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Gordon, its only now you notice what a great comedian we have here…

Guyyyys, no worry, I tell you ten more days. ten short days and we'll know the truth! At Christmas, you can lie… Sleep well!
They must be 10 very short days, as I only make it 9 days to Christmas!!

Of course, if you are waiting for a train in Paris I might take 10 days to get home...
Old 13 Dec 2019, 18:26 (Ref:3946578)   #2104
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Of course, if you are waiting for a train in Paris it might take 10 days to get home...
Of course? Of course! Look, you try to travel in France without any official paper, no ID, no passeport, no Visa, no wallet, no cell phone, no nothing…*Of course it takes a while. Ask bauble and try this in Pakistan, and you'll see how fast our trains are. When you find one…
Old 13 Dec 2019, 18:27 (Ref:3946579)   #2105
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Gary, you must get out more, you see in 2016 there was a referendum on whether the UK should stay or leave the European Union, (do you know what that is?), the country voted to 'Leave;, a process which became known as 'Brexit' (Britain exiting the EU, get it?). The Conservative Prime Minister of the day a bloke called Cameron, resigned and a certain lady named Teresa May got the job. She called a General Election, this was expected to be a walkover but a couple of terrorist incidents swung the focus of the campaign away from Brexit and on to more domestic matters. This worked out well for the Labour Party, now being lead by a Trotskie named Corbyn, who made a lot of ground from the incidents. Mrs May then proceeded to make a right bog of leaving the EU and was eventually slung out of no.10 and a cheery chap called Boris Johnson took over. He tried to get the UK out of the EU, but as nobody else wanted to leave, he was forced to call another election, and yesterday he won a majority for the Tory Party. In consequence of his overwhelming victory a number of existing MPs lost their seats, and are now regarded as 'Endangered Species'. Hence my comment re- 'Endangered Species' in my earlier post.

I hope this brings you up to speed on the current political situation in this country, however, I am sure that many of more learned members of our Historic Community will be able to fill in the gaps, correct any errors, and put us both right.

As always it has been my pleasure to help you to get a grip on real life,

Kindest possible regards,

Your faithful friend,

Bauble.
Thanks Bob. Blimey, I missed all that palaver. You think they'd cover it on the telly wouldn't you! How's a chap expected to keep in the know if it's never on the news?
Old 13 Dec 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3946580)   #2106
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
They must be 10 very short days, as I only make it 9 days to Christmas!!

Of course, if you are waiting for a train in Paris I might take 10 days to get home...
Today's the 13rh isn't it? Christmas Day is 25th. I make 25-13 to be 12!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 13 Dec 2019, 19:31 (Ref:3946595)   #2107
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
John… Know what? I think Midget made the point! Thats why twisted politicians lead the world, Mr Average is not able to count 25-13!!! Honestly…

Last edited by Gerard C; 13 Dec 2019 at 19:55.
Old 13 Dec 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3946612)   #2108
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It's tough being a politician. Half your reputation is ruined by lies the other half is ruined by the truth ! " I'll get my coat"
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 13 Dec 2019, 22:32 (Ref:3946625)   #2109
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Today's the 13rh isn't it? Christmas Day is 25th. I make 25-13 to be 12!

Unless you live down under where it is already daylight (has been for a few hours) on the 14th.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 03:44 (Ref:3946639)   #2110
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Of course? Of course! Look, you try to travel in France without any official paper, no ID, no passeport, no Visa, no wallet, no cell phone, no nothing…*Of course it takes a while. Ask bauble and try this in Pakistan, and you'll see how fast our trains are. When you find one…
Yet so many have and are still doing exactly that. 😄
Old 14 Dec 2019, 13:30 (Ref:3946689)   #2111
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
It's tough being a politician. Half your reputation is ruined by lies the other half is ruined by the truth ! " I'll get my coat"
Following their disastrous showing in the election the Labour leadership are wondering "What went wrong?"

They cannot see that nothing WENT wrong, they were just WRONG!
If you add one and one together and get three, nothing went wrong, you were just plain wrong.

Jo Swinson, was wrong, the Liberal party was wrong, yet it seems that as far as she is concerned she was right and the voters were wrong

She lost her leadership, lost her seat, lost her job, quite blind to the fact that she has apparently lost her mind.

While the country continues to let politicians run parliament. nothing much will change …. now if I were in …………...
Old 14 Dec 2019, 13:53 (Ref:3946690)   #2112
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
Thanks Bob. Blimey, I missed all that palaver. You think they'd cover it on the telly wouldn't you! How's a chap expected to keep in the know if it's never on the news?
Don't worry Grant, you can keep up-to-date on more important matters by watching the BBC TV.

Who will sweep the board in Strictly Come Prancing plenty of coverage of that particular World shaping event. Soon you may wish to vote for which Highly Paid Professional Sports Person, should be elected to the position of Interplanetary Sportsman of the Millenium.

Should either of these mega shows not burn your biscuit, then I am sure that Celebrity Get Me Out of Cooking's Got Talent Show. will float you ice cream.

No need to be bored over Christmas, just sit and watch the Great Escape.

Bauble. TV Critic, Pundit, Expert Analyst and All Round Clever Dick.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 15:39 (Ref:3946701)   #2113
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is my youthful view, just get rid of the lot of them. The people should govern themselves. Not those who really don't have a clue of the lives of the many or don't have the bottle to do what is necessary in these unique times to say the least.

As I sit on a bench in the bitter cold that is this country at these times, cold in its manner and how it acts. The warmth will come, but it needs someone to ignite it, not another yes or no with no plan or understanding of what it takes to get the actual plans they talk about so frequently and fill peoples mind with. We have no leaders who would guide the warmth and it has turned to the cold

Will. I do have a different approach of saying things.

Extreme in my views I know. Maybe I made some of you chuckle . I certainly maybe or maybe not have a more unique view but just thought I contribute my own thoughts simple they may be on the matter.

Great Escape Bob. Great one there. Zulu aswell. They don't make em how they used to.
Old 14 Dec 2019, 17:30 (Ref:3946714)   #2114
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Should either of these mega shows not burn your biscuit, then I am sure that Celebrity Get Me Out of Cooking's Got Talent Show. will float you ice cream.
Bauble. TV Critic, Pundit, Expert Analyst and All Round Clever Dick.
I totally ignore how and when I could use those words in any conversation, but I luv' em, Mate!!! Hope it won't burn "my" biscuit…
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3954672)   #2115
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
So, Simon H started this thread on 20th August 2018 to discuss the effect leaving the EU could have on our hobby / business......

Today’s the day- or is it? As far as my reading of the present situation is concerned, nothing will change until the end of the year, while we (and the EU of course) enjoy a period of grace. So no IDPs, no extra customs docs and your EHIC is still valid for this season, at least!

All sounds good, but as one of the better informed car mags has observed (and I found in the latter half of last season), be prepared for some confusion on the mainland as customs officials and Border controls are re-trained, increased in numbers and are adjusting to Brits not being part of the community any more.

If there’s any paperwork easily obtainable, such as insurance green cards, CMR notes or IDPs, may be an idea to carry them regardless.....
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:55 (Ref:3954675)   #2116
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Today’s the day- or is it? As far as my reading of the present situation is concerned, nothing will change until the end of the year, while we (and the EU of course) enjoy a period of grace. So no IDPs, no extra customs docs and your EHIC is still valid for this season, at least!
Between 30th January and 2nd February, I think you are right - on the face of it nothing significant will change.
From experience, there will be big change ahead, but the uncertainty changed the day the announcements were made.

We experienced this in Cork a couple of summers ago, where we were attempting to open a bank account.
We already held accounts with the same banking firm in the UK, and Italy. At the time, everything within regulations permitted us to open an account, and we had all the necessary documentation.
The bank clerk advised that, in 2018: 'unfortunately, because of Brexit, I do not think it appropriate for me to open an account to a British Citizen. I don't know whether you'll be allowed to keep the account after Brexit happens so I do not want to take the risk now'
Old 31 Jan 2020, 08:57 (Ref:3954676)   #2117
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mike, I think your last point is well made. Even over the past years I've always obtained a green card. An int driving licence is also easily got.

I do understand the concerns regarding border controls but with this grace period one hopes the organisations will get on top of them.

I feel quite excited because I'm sure this whole thing will bring new opportunities and let's look at it holistically. These days whilst europe is still somewhere to race, transport improvements mean even New Zealand is not beyond the bounds of possibility.

And of course those with experience of sending cars to those locations will also know what's needed to cross into europe.

Let's also not forget the proposed Freeport which if placed correctly will re energise places like Grimsby, Newcastle, Glasgow and Hull.

Also the possibility of re opening the fishing industry and returning to use, some of the railway lines (Fleetwood was in the news this week), will be unfettered by the EU rules of government support.

So it's not just about our sport but this year could be quite exciting.

CRM. The bank was talking complete bullocks. I've opened bank accounts all over the world. They just need to take cognisance of tax and transfer costs. Since the account would be in Euros any transfer would be subject to exchange rates into Sterling and possibly any taxation. I've had accounts in Netherlands, Italy etc. Also Middle East and Far East. Why would Brexit be a hindrance?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 31 Jan 2020 at 09:08.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 09:23 (Ref:3954685)   #2118
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why would Brexit be a problem? Because people want it to be.

Brace yourselves for price rises "because of Brexit." The same thing happened over decimalisation, it was used as an excuse for racketeering.

I feel more confident now than a year ago. The Blessed Theresa didn't really want it, and we were (deliberately?) woefully prepared. I believe now we will be fine.

FWIW I'm as foreign as I've been for years this weekend. Racing in Lincolnshire.

Old 31 Jan 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3954686)   #2119
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
CRM. The bank was talking complete bullocks. I've opened bank accounts all over the world. They just need to take cognisance of tax and transfer costs. Since the account would be in Euros any transfer would be subject to exchange rates into Sterling and possibly any taxation. I've had accounts in Netherlands, Italy etc. Also Middle East and Far East. Why would Brexit be a hindrance?
Exactly. I got the feeling that the reluctance to open an account was more based on the fact that the clerk would actually have to do some work in what was an otherwise empty branch on a midweek afternoon.
'Because of Brexit' was an easy line to trot out, and it was obvious when challenged that he was just making up excuses on the spot.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 09:50 (Ref:3954691)   #2120
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
One if my credit card providers had to pull the plug over a year back as the card was backed by an Irish bank. The suggestion was that our EU withdrawal was the reason....
Old 31 Jan 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3954694)   #2121
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And yet we were still in the EU.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 10:12 (Ref:3954698)   #2122
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
One if my credit card providers had to pull the plug over a year back as the card was backed by an Irish bank. The suggestion was that our EU withdrawal was the reason....
I used to have a credit card with Citibank Europe, taken out before I moved to France. I didn't use it very often but when I moved to France I advised them of my new address etc & they duly continued to send me statements.

Eventually, one day I tried to use it to pay a hotel bill in Germany & it was refused. Luckily I had other means of payment. Upon returning home I had a letter from them stating that they were unable to service overseas addresses so would be terminating the account - this despite being called Citibank Europe.

I duly cleared the outstanding account & thought that was that, until I received another letter from them, signed by the same person, stating how sorry they were to see I had chosen to close my account and would I like to re-consider?

I didn't bother...
Old 31 Jan 2020, 10:40 (Ref:3954705)   #2123
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
And yet we were still in the EU.
Yes but we were due to leave!
Old 31 Jan 2020, 11:32 (Ref:3954727)   #2124
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yup. And that should make no difference. If one can transfer an HSBC account from Dubai to the UK then surely within geographic europe should be no problem.
Old 31 Jan 2020, 12:25 (Ref:3954738)   #2125
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yup. And that should make no difference. If one can transfer an HSBC account from Dubai to the UK then surely within geographic europe should be no problem.
I can only tell you the reason I was given, Peter. Sorry if it’s not correct!