Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2019, 15:20 (Ref:3903965)   #1
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rich Energy

So Rich Energy as a sponsor for Haas was a topic of conversation in the 2019 pre-season thread (and felt reviving that thread was the wrong place to talk about current events.) If I remember correctly, I don't think anyone had much good to say other than if you want to appear to be a big fish, F1 sponsorship is one way to go about it!

One topic of discuss was the impending court battle between Rich Energy and Whyte Bike regarding the "stag" logo. In which... both companies use nearly identical logos. I think to most anyone it's obvious that one copied it from the other. The question is who is in the wrong. Apparently Whyte won the case...

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ha...-case/4388423/

Each company has their opinion on the ruling...

https://whyte.bike/pages/stag

https://twitter.com/rich_energy/stat...09045050388481

You can find the ruling here...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...00235.pdf?2319

I have scanned through the ruling. There is one particularly juicy detail that falls in line with earlier commentary about nobody seeing Rich Energy product in stores, but yet Rich Energy talks about the quantities produced...

Quote:
For example, when Mr Wyand in cross-examination tried to understand his evidence about the sales figures of Rich Energy drinks, and put to him that he had been quoted in the press in February 2019 as saying that the First Defendant had produced 90 million cans, Mr Storey explained that it had produced 90 million cans, but had not yet filled and sold them.
In short... they have produced a bunch of empty cans and put their logo on an F1 car, but that might be about all. Well... at least some of them have been filled as you occasionally see people talking about having actually found the product.

I am not an attorney and the judgement document is large. But it sounds like Rich Energy (really Storey and his childhood friend who co-designed the logo) lost, there might (?) be an injunction against usage of the logo (remove from Haas???) and have lost their trademark on the logo (Rich has acquired a trademark on the copied logo)

It appears an appeal can be lodged, but Rich hasn't said if they will or will not do that.

Richard
Old 15 May 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3903985)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So they have 90 million empty cans stashed somewhere? That's just plain bizarre....
Old 15 May 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3903991)   #3
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, they might try an appeal, but based on the testimony and evidence given at the trial, I have strong doubts that it would be any more successful. The judge basically said that they were liars, and that they had tried to deceive the court with the evidence that they produced, trying to insinuate that it was produced in 2015, when, in fact, it had been concocted in 2018 after they were required to submit related documents.

One thing that crossed my mind is why, when Whyte's Bikes were represented in court by a QC (a leading (senior) barrister) and a junior barrister to assist, that Storey were only represented by a barrister that had not been appointed as a QC.

Noticeable also that the language used in the High Court for civil matters hasn't changed much since the 80s. Judges and barristers still like to sugar coat everything they say as if they were afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. The judge, in her way, was rather scathing about Storey's solicitors for being, at a minimum, discourteous, whilst Whyte's solicitor and barrister stopped short of saying that Storey had copied the Whyte logo.
Old 15 May 2019, 18:02 (Ref:3903997)   #4
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This thing is more scammy than a 1990s Nigerian Prince with a Hotmail account. Haas due diligence process must be along the lines of "Well he said he's legit."
Old 15 May 2019, 18:07 (Ref:3903999)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I presume that they have the syrup made up that would then be diluted (and carbonated if a fizzy product) to fill that many cans, but not actually have the physical cans.
Old 15 May 2019, 19:19 (Ref:3904018)   #6
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How did Storey make his money?
Old 15 May 2019, 19:21 (Ref:3904019)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
This thing is more scammy than a 1990s Nigerian Prince with a Hotmail account. Haas due diligence process must be along the lines of "Well he said he's legit."
I suspect the due diligence consisted of... Did the check clear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
I presume that they have the syrup made up that would then be diluted (and carbonated if a fizzy product) to fill that many cans, but not actually have the physical cans.
Hard to say. Based upon the quote it sounds like maybe the reverse. The thinking might have been that the cans don't go bad, so buy a large order and then fill and sell as needed. Not quite "just in time" manufacturing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
So they have 90 million empty cans stashed somewhere? That's just plain bizarre....
I put this together

Richard
Old 15 May 2019, 20:28 (Ref:3904034)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I suspect the due diligence consisted of... Did the check clear?

But will the second one?.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 16 May 2019, 06:15 (Ref:3904075)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post

Noticeable also that the language used in the High Court for civil matters hasn't changed much since the 80s. Judges and barristers still like to sugar coat everything they say as if they were afraid of hurting anyone's feelings. The judge, in her way, was rather scathing about Storey's solicitors for being, at a minimum, discourteous, whilst Whyte's solicitor and barrister stopped short of saying that Storey had copied the Whyte logo.
[O/T]This got my attention. If you ever have the time have a look at this one: https://www.pinsentmasons.com/Docume...012-07-24.html Try to find the case transcripts they are quite humorous when discussing the complainant [/O/T]

On topic, I think we said before that the whole Rich Energy thing was somewhat suspicious.
Old 16 May 2019, 07:25 (Ref:3904081)   #10
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Management company with F1 and other sportspeople and general PR work with F1 etc.
Old 16 May 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3904099)   #11
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Selling bridges I imagine.
Old 16 May 2019, 11:14 (Ref:3904101)   #12
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Companies House, William Storey classes himself as a computer consultant, and his co-director is a keep fit instructor. The other director who resigned in 2017 is a public house manager.

64% of Rich Energy Ltd shares are owned by Storey
Old 16 May 2019, 11:55 (Ref:3904107)   #13
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
More detail on the pretty scathing comments of the judge here:

https://jalopnik.com/haas-f1s-main-s...d-t-1834753571

One quote from the judge stood out particularly for me:

"He often did not answer questions directly, preferring to make speeches about his vision for his business or alternatively seeking to evade questions by speaking in generalities or in the third person plural. He only answered several questions when I intervened. He had a tendency to make impressive statements, which on further investigation or consideration were not quite what they seemed."
Old 16 May 2019, 12:00 (Ref:3904109)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
But will the second one?.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I'm guessing Haas took ALL the money up front, trust but only as long as you can pay. I'm thinking before the year is out Haas will be applying for some kind of hardship allowance and removing all Rich Energy materials and back to the polished primer grey livery
Old 16 May 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3904132)   #15
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The link from the Rich Energy site to amazon has a 24 pack of 250ml cans for £30 !!!

Oh the seller... Rich Energy themselves.
Old 16 May 2019, 14:17 (Ref:3904133)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Why would anyone buy 24 empty cans for £30?
Old 16 May 2019, 14:18 (Ref:3904134)   #17
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Old 16 May 2019, 14:24 (Ref:3904135)   #18
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They'll probably become collectors items before long with the 'wrong' logo on them Peter. Look how much miss-printed bank notes sell for!
Old 16 May 2019, 15:19 (Ref:3904146)   #19
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
You couldn't make it up! Is Flavio involved!
Old 16 May 2019, 16:00 (Ref:3904153)   #20
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw someone drinking an actual can of actual Rich Energy energy drink at the Oulton Park British GT Meeting. Actually.

When asked what it was like, the answer was "a bit like Red Bull but different". Instructive.
Old 16 May 2019, 16:03 (Ref:3904154)   #21
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Oh dear, does that mean Red Bull is going to sue too?
Old 16 May 2019, 20:39 (Ref:3904218)   #22
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I saw someone drinking an actual can of actual Rich Energy energy drink at the Oulton Park British GT Meeting. Actually.

When asked what it was like, the answer was "a bit like Red Bull but different". Instructive.
I think this sentence covers almost every energy drink that is 'regular' flavour.
Old 16 May 2019, 20:54 (Ref:3904220)   #23
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
The link from the Rich Energy site to amazon has a 24 pack of 250ml cans for £30 !!!

Oh the seller... Rich Energy themselves.
I am generally curious as to the actual availability. Enough that I have considered ordering some. But... I don't think there is ANY way to get them in the US short of buying them from a European seller and shipping them to the US. They are not available via Amazon US and Rich Energy has a US specific website which says they are "taking pre-orders".

Given I don't like energy drinks anyhow and don't want to support whatever craziness is going on with Rich Energy, I am not likely to try any harder than I already have... to give it a try.

I however CAN get the Bob Ross Energy Drink in the US. Haas should look into them as a new sponsor.

Richard
Old 16 May 2019, 21:04 (Ref:3904222)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That looks utterly disgusting.....
Old 16 May 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3904227)   #25
Yuri G.
Rookie

Yuri G. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I follow this fascinating tale.

It seems that just today they updated the website and now you can buy the empty cans without going through amazon.