Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 4 May 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2684520)   #76
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I couldnt do this man, I would swear to much! But for one race it would be the best commentary you ever heard!!
Old 5 May 2010, 13:36 (Ref:2684809)   #77
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's only one man who should ever commentate on sportscars
John Hindhaugh.
Old 9 May 2010, 15:53 (Ref:2687276)   #78
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone View Post
The other week it mentioned that Carlton may have shouted "oh f**k" during a DTM session when Gary Paffet made a mistake or something.

Can anyone confirm this, and when it was?
And if they have it recorded, send it to OFCOM or whoever. If the gobs**** won't stop of his own accord jabbering about a sport he doesn't understand then we have to try everything!

I hope he reads this thread and realises what a cretin his attempts at commentary make him appear. I challenge him to post on here and justify getting paid for his pointless presence on our screens. You'd be far better served watching a race on mute than being distracted by his inane catchphrases ("nightmare", "it's all getting rather busy out there", "through the twisty stuff" etc).

If he was working in any other field he'd have long ago been sacked for being completely incompetent and unqualified for the job. Why on earth do we have to put up with this?
Old 9 May 2010, 16:13 (Ref:2687298)   #79
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a relief when the commentary dropped on the sportscars today...
Old 9 May 2010, 16:17 (Ref:2687304)   #80
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I just try and laugh nowadays, Carlton isn't going anywhere so you might as well try and make the most of the bad situation. Autosport's analysis of his WSbR commentary the other week emphasised just how ridiculous and amusing his commentaries can be!
Old 9 May 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2687307)   #81
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But surely, how on earth can such a Calamity Jane get this job and keep it?

There must be SOME reason why he is unsackable, I have complained to any station he commentates on and surely others have too?

I am more interested in why he is still there after so many errors and near misses with swering etc.

Some might find it funny, I find it embarassing and rather contrived
Old 9 May 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2687401)   #82
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I'm afraid I can't even make light of his banality... really wish I could just laugh it off!

My heart sinks when I find out he's "commentating", as you just know your enjoyment of the race will suffer. He's a turd that can't be polished.
Old 9 May 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2687448)   #83
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hate to disagree, but there are "worse" commentators out there than Carlton. At least Motors/Eurosport don't utilise Tony Delahunty anymore...
Old 9 May 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2687465)   #84
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm hoping Carlton is busy when Le Mans comes around again. Like he was last year.
Old 9 May 2010, 22:21 (Ref:2687581)   #85
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Hate to disagree, but there are "worse" commentators out there than Carlton. At least Motors/Eurosport don't utilise Tony Delahunty anymore...
Yeah, he was absolutely dire. His pronunciation of names was usually far worse than Kirby's. But I wouldn't say he was much worse overall.

As others have said, Carlton's fine when it comes to scripted stuff like Dakar. But he should not be let loose on anything live where you'd expect some knowledge and genuine interest in the sport at hand.
Old 9 May 2010, 22:53 (Ref:2687595)   #86
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Oh christ. Carlton is bad but Tony was, I am afraid to say, a dribbling retard.

The noise that came out of his mouth...
Old 10 May 2010, 10:50 (Ref:2687823)   #87
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"Pescalairo!"
Old 10 May 2010, 11:09 (Ref:2687836)   #88
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
"Pescalairo!"
Yes! That!

I was tearing my hair out during Le Mans 2006. Even Kirby corrected him and still he persisted.

I mean it is only one of the most famous names in motorsport.
Old 10 May 2010, 11:38 (Ref:2687856)   #89
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
And also Joe Strummer's backing band.
Old 11 May 2010, 12:16 (Ref:2688568)   #90
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would ahve been tearing my hair out watching Le Mans too

I dont understand the appeal of wartching that race!! I'm not French you see? They seem to dig enduro events, Le Mans, Bol, Daker.

Maybe us Brits are just a bit more advanced? But I find Le Mans the dullest race on earth unless you are competing!
Old 11 May 2010, 12:20 (Ref:2688574)   #91
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Time to log off chunder.
Old 11 May 2010, 17:56 (Ref:2688739)   #92
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yeah .. he likes rallycross .. enough said
only j/k .. I like rx :P

Ciao Marco
Old 11 May 2010, 21:53 (Ref:2688897)   #93
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I forget that for some reason people actually get off on watching a 24 hour race!

Sorry but an hour is bad enough!!

I am in the minoroty it seems, but I KNOW I saw the light many, many years ago!!
Old 11 May 2010, 21:56 (Ref:2688900)   #94
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Get off? It's not a sexual thing you little scamp you.
Old 11 May 2010, 22:23 (Ref:2688907)   #95
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Unless that little Vanina Minckx is driving, I suppose.
Old 12 May 2010, 19:52 (Ref:2689359)   #96
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I forget that for some reason people actually get off on watching a 24 hour race!

Sorry but an hour is bad enough!!

I am in the minoroty it seems, but I KNOW I saw the light many, many years ago!!
and blinded you
anyway .. back to Kirby?? .. he's a nightmare
last year when MotoGP was with Carlton I actually watched the BBC coverage .. he's that bad

Ciao Marco
Old 14 May 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2690295)   #97
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Well Dan, thats not as bad as it can get!

I even tried the worlds porrest quality on justin to get away from them! And in Spanish or Italian!

When you compare him to Shaven or Edwards it really hits home! I was watching GP2 today and the racew as dull but Martin made it interesting.

THe sign of any good commentator in my book as guys liek Huewen, Ryder, Moody know all too well
Old 15 May 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2690927)   #98
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
I see Kirby finds his meaningless "on the drift" phrase useful for covering the mountain biking too...
Old 15 May 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2691034)   #99
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Kirbys commentating career will be "on the drift" soon.

Have voiced my opinions and pointed them to this thread, to Eurosport via their monthly online questionnaire.
Old 15 May 2010, 18:56 (Ref:2691060)   #100
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The man is meaningless..