Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 22 Oct 2018, 09:14 (Ref:3858360)   #2076
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Does anyone remember Top Gear's predecessor, called Wheelbase? I think Cliff Michlemore presented it at one time, plus (I think) Maxwell Boyd!
No!
Old 22 Oct 2018, 09:24 (Ref:3858366)   #2077
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember the name and Wikipedia has the full info.

TG is losing all pretence to be about cars now - at least Matt le Blanc was a renowned petrol head. And the Terrible Trio started out as motoring journalists so they had a car background.

Not my cup of tea any.more I suspect. But hey times change and we get older, otherwise we'd all be speaking ancient English and reading The Canterbury Tales.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 23 Oct 2018, 12:32 (Ref:3858604)   #2078
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Todays crapulence . . . . I ordered 45F8 pilot jets . . . . . they arrived . . . . in a bad marked 45F*, with 45F8 stamped on the side. . . . seems they ran out of F8 bit and I just got the 45 part. The might of British manufacturing. the Spanish ones may be a bit fire hazard compared to the original Italian Webers, but at least they drill the F ing holes in them
Attached Thumbnails
undrilled jets.jpg  
Old 23 Oct 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3858606)   #2079
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I use Webcom for all my Webber stuff now . Hang on it was on here that they got recommended .
Old 23 Oct 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3858607)   #2080
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
No!

Come on Baub, even I can remember that - still humming the signature tune.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 12:41 (Ref:3858610)   #2081
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You like good food and soft ambiance, John, then you could go to Lyon époqu'auto classic car show November 9/ 11 th. Nice place, nice people.

Lyon's a bit far from here, Gerard. The NEC's nearer & I am not going there either!

We had a very nice Guild day-out at JLR Heritage - a real eye-opener & well worth a visit. After that we took a cross-country drive to Compton Verney, where we immediately bumped into a group on a trip from the ACO at Le Mans. Small world!
Old 23 Oct 2018, 12:44 (Ref:3858611)   #2082
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I’ve not the courage to post on F1 thread . Kimi wins which is just fantastic and what 99% of us wanted . The world championship still is undecided . Is this a fix . . . Do I press the send button ????, WTF .

I've never understood why that dreary so & so is so popular. Apart from Max Verstappen, would anybody else even notice if he wasn't there?
Old 23 Oct 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3858626)   #2083
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Webcon, Southern cabs, FRC and Eurocarbs are all usually good, none of the new stuff is as good as the Italian stuff though. same goes for Dellorto carbs on the Lambrettas.

Quote:
I use Webcom for all my Webber stuff now . Hang on it was on here that they got recommended .
Old 23 Oct 2018, 14:21 (Ref:3858629)   #2084
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post
I see the new hosts of Top Gear are to be Paddy McGuinness and 'Freddie' Flintoff.

That programme's come a long way from the William Woollard days!

Who is Paddy McGuinness?

(Ok, I'll go and look him up ....)

ETA: Looked him up. None the wiser. I seem to have missed his entire career.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 15:10 (Ref:3858635)   #2085
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Who is Paddy McGuinness?

"

Sure sounds like a name from a comedy,

"Begorrah, an me neme's Paddy M'Guiness, to be sure, so it is. Give us an odder tater."
Old 23 Oct 2018, 17:41 (Ref:3858655)   #2086
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I ordered 45F8 pilot jets
Wow - you must have a few bob! I remember Tom Cruise flying one of them in Top Gun.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 18:10 (Ref:3858667)   #2087
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Who is Paddy McGuinness?

Didn't he have a goat?

Old 23 Oct 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3858676)   #2088
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Didn't he have a goat?

Are you kidding?
Old 23 Oct 2018, 18:30 (Ref:3858680)   #2089
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Lyon's a bit far from here, Gerard. The NEC's nearer & I am not going there either!
Sure, John, Lyon is not exactly next door to yours. But located around the center of France, all in all a good show with a "spirit" like Rétromobile had a very long while ago. Many merchants making good business, no dress code, no "people", relaxed ambiance. Well, not to many people because Parisians fed up with the big show appreciate Lyon more and more. And the prices level have nothing to see with Paris, of course. And the food is great!
Old 23 Oct 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3858683)   #2090
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
As to Weber parts, we know the same situation here. Sebastien Crubilé, renowned Porsche re-builder, has an old friend who makes them from scratch with a lathe formerly dedicated to jewelry. Then every part is checked via a vacuum trough. Accurate and cheaper than we might think. I guess this kind of thing can be made in England better than here. If the idea can help. About Dell'Orto parts, nobody can reproduce them here.
Old 23 Oct 2018, 20:26 (Ref:3858713)   #2091
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Didn't he have a goat?

Brilliant Max as always 😀😀😀
Old 24 Oct 2018, 15:05 (Ref:3858894)   #2092
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Sure, John, Lyon is not exactly next door to yours. But located around the center of France, all in all a good show with a "spirit" like Rétromobile had a very long while ago. Many merchants making good business, no dress code, no "people", relaxed ambiance. Well, not to many people because Parisians fed up with the big show appreciate Lyon more and more. And the prices level have nothing to see with Paris, of course. And the food is great!
It's still a long way when I'm not going to make any money out of it! I'll need to save more than just a few pennies if I'm ever going to be able to afford one of those nice new Jaguar D- or E-Types I saw being built on Saturday............

I'm more likely to do Interclassics Brussels next month.
Old 24 Oct 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3858929)   #2093
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Traveling up through Spain from Portimao I’ve now stopped twice for diesel . The locals seem to drink beer and watch old black and white westerns over here . Might as well join them . Stopped for night just past Salamanca . 200 miles to go in morning to Bilbao
Old 24 Oct 2018, 18:03 (Ref:3858933)   #2094
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Traveling up through Spain from Portimao I’ve now stopped twice for diesel . The locals seem to drink beer and watch old black and white westerns over here . Might as well join them . Stopped for night just past Salamanca . 200 miles to go in morning to Bilbao
Well I’m in the best Pizzeria in Imola having..... pizza and beer! Eat your heart out, Delta......
Old 24 Oct 2018, 18:12 (Ref:3858937)   #2095
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Grrrrrrrrr. Enjoy Mike
Old 26 Oct 2018, 07:17 (Ref:3859247)   #2096
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Drama on ferry last night . Helicopter landed and rushed sick passenger off to hospital . As a retired fireman I was called in to assist on the landing . Actually I slept through it all . 🙄Just means we going to be 4 hours late getting in to Portsmouth .,Cest La Vie and I hope who ever it was will be ok.
Old 29 Oct 2018, 15:59 (Ref:3859782)   #2097
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Miserable day to be driving a truck up through France- pouring with rain a lot of the time, windy, and perishing cold. Then just to trump the weather, I get to a decent sized service area with restaurant to find that the eating establishment is well and truly a building site.....

All the Autoroute gantries were warning of ‘neige’ as well. Good job I don’t know what that is.

Coach loads of teenagers just descended and not got earplugs with me, but at least the WiFi works.......
Old 29 Oct 2018, 16:41 (Ref:3859795)   #2098
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Miserable day to be driving a truck up through France- pouring with rain a lot of the time, windy, and perishing cold. Then just to trump the weather, I get to a decent sized service area with restaurant to find that the eating establishment is well and truly a building site.....

All the Autoroute gantries were warning of ‘neige’ as well. Good job I don’t know what that is.

Coach loads of teenagers just descended and not got earplugs with me, but at least the WiFi works.......
No rain or neige this far north (yet), Mike. Bloomin' cold though.
Old 29 Oct 2018, 16:52 (Ref:3859796)   #2099
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Neige is schnee! Simple like that. In principle, will fall only on french vehicles

John, do you know there's a kind of european Pikes Peak in Romania?
here: https://fr.motor1.com/news/273701/vi...ransfagarasan/
Old 29 Oct 2018, 17:12 (Ref:3859801)   #2100
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Neige is schnee! Simple like that. In principle, will fall only on french vehicles

John, do you know there's a kind of european Pikes Peak in Romania?
here: https://fr.motor1.com/news/273701/vi...ransfagarasan/
No, I can't say I knew that. Since it's Romania there should probably be a 'y' towards the end of Pikes...!!
Closed Thread