Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Sep 2018, 05:40 (Ref:3851371)   #1
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOO MANY CATEGORIES

Am I the only one who thinks there are too many categories in Australian road racing?

In recent times CAMS have announced yet another three, Super 5000, LMP3 and TCR. At this rate we could have 1,000 categories by Xmas.

To illustrate I decided to list as many as I was aware of. This excludes Historic Racing categories, and karting.

In addition some categories run separate races for under and over 2 litres, such as Sports Sedans and improved Prod.

OPEN WHEELERS

Formula Libre
Super 5000 (if it gets off the ground)
Formula 3
Formula Ford – Duratec
Formula Ford – Kent
Formula Vee – 1600
Formula Vee – 1200
Formula 1000
Formula 4

SPORTS CARS

LMP3 (if it gets off the ground)
Prototype
Radical
Super Sports
Sports 1300
Clubmen
Porsche Carrera Cup
Porsche GT Cup
Porsche 944
Porsche IROC
GT 3
GT 4
Australian GT
Australian GT Trophy
Production Sports Car
Mazda MX5
Mazda RX8

TOURING CARS

Supercars
Super 2 Series
V8 Touring Car
TCR (if it gets off the ground)
Super Utes
Toyota 86
Sports Sedans
Improved Production
Aussie Racing Cars
Saloon Cars
Touring Car Masters
Australian Trans Am
TA2
Victorian V8’s
Hyundai Excel X3
Holden HQ
BMW E30

Have I missed any?
Old 19 Sep 2018, 06:39 (Ref:3851376)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not too many, just not enough competitors to keep them sustainable for any extended period.
Old 20 Sep 2018, 02:15 (Ref:3851513)   #3
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Am I the only one who thinks there are too many categories in Australian road racing?

In recent times CAMS have announced yet another three, Super 5000, LMP3 and TCR. At this rate we could have 1,000 categories by Xmas.

To illustrate I decided to list as many as I was aware of. This excludes Historic Racing categories, and karting.

In addition some categories run separate races for under and over 2 litres, such as Sports Sedans and improved Prod.

(LOTS OF CATEGORIES removed so the quote isn't MASSIVE)

Have I missed any?
Not that I disagree, but point of contention, should GT3 and GT4 not be folded as subsets under AustGT and Trophy?

You are missing GT-1 though
Old 20 Sep 2018, 02:53 (Ref:3851519)   #4
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also worth mentioning, that not all of those catagories mentioned are sanctioned by CAMS.

You'll find the likes of ASAA will have their own spin-offs and breakaways, and God knows what else they've thought up.

In a perfect world, the promotor would have set up defined pathways of progression as part of their show, keeping the teams, cars, and drivers on the books as they move up through the ranks. On some race weekends, it's sort of there if you squint, but on many it's not.

Gone are the days it seems, of having non-winged and winged open wheelers on the undercard, and some sort of entry level tin-top, and following a junior driver as they moved up through the years into the maingame.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 03:07 (Ref:3851702)   #5
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Not too many, just not enough competitors to keep them sustainable for any extended period.
It is disappointing when one researches a topic, prepares an intelligent post and then one gets an idiotic and stupid reply such as this.

No wonder posters are leaving this forum with guys like this on the loose, and the moderators don't step in. He should be banned.

I future I will stick to intelligent forums.......
Old 21 Sep 2018, 06:03 (Ref:3851722)   #6
Umai Naa
Veteran

Wow betide anyone who offers an alternative opinion...
Old 21 Sep 2018, 07:09 (Ref:3851726)   #7
dirtymacca
Racer

dirtymacca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
Wow betide anyone who offers an alternative opinion...
The new Pecky.....
Old 21 Sep 2018, 07:39 (Ref:3851729)   #8
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It is disappointing when one researches a topic, prepares an intelligent post and then one gets an idiotic and stupid reply such as this.
I don't know if there are too many classes or not.

I like Improved Production. It's an oldie but a goodie. One could argue the 8" rim width rule, unfairly penalises heavier and more powerful cars and makes it harder for them to be competitive against small, lower powered cars.

A lot of modern performance vehicles are shipping with 10" wide rear wheels or more, so the 8" rule is quite restrictive I guess.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 09:18 (Ref:3851749)   #9
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
TOO MANY CATEGORIES

Quote:

No wonder posters are leaving this forum with guys like this on the loose, and the moderators don't step in. He should be banned.

I future I will stick to intelligent forums.......

People leave this forum but not because of Umai. He knows his stuff and has contributed quite well to this forum for some years. You might not like his opinion and that’s fine, it’s a forum and it’s your choice but to ask for a poster like him to be banned is uncalled for and makes you look like the idiot rather then him. Plus he doesn’t like people who are crap at game shows and that’s fine by me.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3851754)   #10
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
People leave this forum but not because of Umai. He knows his stuff and has contributed quite well to this forum for some years. You might not like his opinion and that’s fine, it’s a forum and it’s your choice but to ask for a poster like him to be banned is uncalled for and makes you look like the idiot rather then him. Plus he doesn’t like people who are crap at game shows and that’s fine by me.
Agree 100%.

Plus Umai adds a hell of a lot of valuable information to this forum, with very little bias; and seems to constantly have an ear quite close to the ground.
Old 21 Sep 2018, 12:38 (Ref:3851792)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
the moderators don't step in. He should be banned.
Moderators are only interested in the rules of the forum being adhered too. Expressing an opinion has never been against the rules. Being rude about another poster is.

Discuss the post, not the poster. Or ignore it. Either is fine.