Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Mar 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3890999)   #51
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Q1 was close and chaotic. Gasly and some others were victem.

Mercedes class on it's own.
Good to see Verstappen splitting the Ferraris. Still not really convinced of Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
You have to admire Mercedes's performance. I wonder whether Ferrari have flattered to deceive in testing or if Melbourne is not representative of typical performance.

Bottas does look refreshed. I'm hoping he can take the challenge to Hamilton more over the season.

Excellent job by Lando Norris. Also kudos to Romain Grosjean for pulling his lap out. The midfield will be tightly packed this year and driver performance will come to the fore.

The track evolution in Q1 was interesting, but what an error by Red Bull (and a number of others) to not put one of their drivers out for a second lap. A reminder that you can have all the computing power in the world, but you need to think sensibly too, because Gasly really should have been out on track.
He had a good start last year but then lost it.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 15:17 (Ref:3891021)   #52
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
The track evolution in Q1 was interesting, but what an error by Red Bull (and a number of others) to not put one of their drivers out for a second lap. A reminder that you can have all the computing power in the world, but you need to think sensibly too, because Gasly really should have been out on track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Q1 was close and chaotic. Gasly and some others were victem.
Q1 was excellent. the track evolution provided some solid drama as the soft tires (C4 i think) came to life.

im still trying to figure out whats the point of hard C2 compound but more curious to know just how much further the lap times could have dropped if they had a few sets of C5s to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo View Post
Norris did alright didn't he? That was good to see and a refreshing change from having Alonso talking himself up in a bad car.
definitely did all right! shame for Sainz who apparently was also caught out by Kubica's puncture.

Kubica looked ragged. to early to judge (he has admitted as much himself) but he looked considerably worse then expected if im being honest.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 16:09 (Ref:3891045)   #53
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
if i was renault i’d be trying to figure out ways of anonymously highlighting that on social media
But then people would point out that Hülkenberg had another electronical faillure which doesn't look very good either I think!
Old 16 Mar 2019, 16:48 (Ref:3891060)   #54
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see that Leclerc will be capable of giving Vettel a thrashing right out of the box. I am sure Vettel is looking over his shoulder after qualifying. Shame Leclerc made an error.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 16 Mar 2019, 17:07 (Ref:3891072)   #55
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fantastic show by Norris, great start to life in an F1 car.

Kubica? Driving a dire car, but I don't see him lasting half a season, personally....
Old 16 Mar 2019, 17:13 (Ref:3891078)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Fantastic show by Norris, great start to life in an F1 car.

Kubica? Driving a dire car, but I don't see him lasting half a season, personally....
I was surprised Kubica got the drive, considering the injuries he sustained.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 17:20 (Ref:3891079)   #57
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
While there have been some surprising performances in Melbourne, the Australian GP is not always a true predictor of form for the rest of the season.
I suspect it will be places like China and Spain before we get a better picture of everybody's true form.
It was also noticeable how the midfield has tightened up in terms of time as there was only about a second between 5th place and 17th at the end of Q1.
I suspect there will be a mad scramble to avoid Q1 departure in future races with Williams unfortunetly at the bottom of the field for the early part of the season.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 17:36 (Ref:3891081)   #58
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I was surprised Kubica got the drive, considering the injuries he sustained.
Surprised? I was absolutely astonished.....
Old 16 Mar 2019, 18:08 (Ref:3891089)   #59
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Another Mercedes domination, but at least Bottas gave Hamilton a good run for his mony, which is encouraging

Shocking bad tactic by RBR to let Gasly slip out of Q1 like that. At least Max managed to split the Ferraris

Well done to Norris on getting in the top 10. Times are so close atm, I predict we’ll see a good variety in the midfield race by race
Old 16 Mar 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3891091)   #60
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wasn't surprised to see Mercedes at the front.It was no great shock to see Leclerc doing well either.We can clearly see that Honda have made progress and Williams are clinging to the back of the grid.Kubica has my very best wishes for a good season and I applaud him for getting back on the grid;I don't see him lasting the season if he stays so far off the pace in addition to being behind Russell.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 18:21 (Ref:3891093)   #61
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Surprised? I was absolutely astonished.....
I'll rephrase that, astonished.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 18:30 (Ref:3891099)   #62
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't go as far as to say astonished, but I doubt anyone other than Williams in its current form would have given Kubica the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

Kubica looked ragged. to early to judge (he has admitted as much himself) but he looked considerably worse then expected if im being honest.

It's hard to know what to expect. The car is awful and Russell is a bit of an unknown quantity (to me, anyway). I've heard he's highly regarded by Merc so perhaps all told we should expect him to have the beating of Kubica?
Old 16 Mar 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3891109)   #63
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
if i was renault i’d be trying to figure out ways of anonymously highlighting that on social media
If Red Bull did say they were better off with Honda, would that be another way of saying that by remaining third fastest, they're doing even worse than last year?
Old 16 Mar 2019, 18:59 (Ref:3891110)   #64
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo View Post
I wouldn't go as far as to say astonished, but I doubt anyone other than Williams in its current form would have given Kubica the drive.

It's hard to know what to expect. The car is awful and Russell is a bit of an unknown quantity (to me, anyway). I've heard he's highly regarded by Merc so perhaps all told we should expect him to have the beating of Kubica?
I suspect most of the up and coming hotshoes would have the beating of him which makes the selection all the more bewildering.....
Old 16 Mar 2019, 19:04 (Ref:3891112)   #65
loon
Racer

loon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridloon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I suspect most of the up and coming hotshoes would have the beating of him which makes the selection all the more bewildering.....
A sack of gold that sealed the deal
Old 16 Mar 2019, 19:26 (Ref:3891115)   #66
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Is it known if Kubica brought in any sponsors? That's usually a big deciding factor on who gets a seat in my experience.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 19:30 (Ref:3891118)   #67
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No idea, but if he didn't it would make the decision that much more absurd..... (IMO)
Old 16 Mar 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3891123)   #68
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
What does everybody think of the new front ends of the cars? I'm not so sure, but I think the McLaren version looks quite nice
Old 16 Mar 2019, 20:12 (Ref:3891128)   #69
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
Is it known if Kubica brought in any sponsors? That's usually a big deciding factor on who gets a seat in my experience.
Big money Orlen deal - Polish oil company...
Old 17 Mar 2019, 01:25 (Ref:3891191)   #70
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Kimi!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 17 Mar 2019, 04:33 (Ref:3891244)   #71
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
definitely did all right! shame for Sainz who apparently was also caught out by Kubica's puncture.

Kubica's "puncture" was a result of bottling the car into a wall, second time in the day, having hit the pit entrance wall in free practice.
Old 17 Mar 2019, 05:15 (Ref:3891247)   #72
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Here we are again.

That was a cleanish start, as Bottas takes the lead and Ricciardo destroys his front wing.
Old 17 Mar 2019, 05:30 (Ref:3891249)   #73
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad start by Dan Ricciardo, must be really angry with himself...
Old 17 Mar 2019, 05:31 (Ref:3891250)   #74
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
First retirement of the race, as the rear end of Sainz's McLaren turns into a bonfire.
Old 17 Mar 2019, 06:12 (Ref:3891252)   #75
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
Wow, Vettel and Hamilton completely messed up their strategy! Nice overtake by Verstappen too, Ferrari are nowhere!