Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Mar 2010, 09:22 (Ref:2664033)   #1
Andy Harrison
Rookie

Andy Harrison should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 3: Malaysian Grand Prix

Mark Webber laps Malaysia in the Red Bull Simulator
http://www.grid1.tv/videos/formula-1...de-to-malaysia
Cool vid but I still think Webber is being massively outclassed by Vettel. Rain scheduled for this weekend so hopefully another great race to watch!!!
Old 31 Mar 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2664064)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Oh really??? I massively hope for some rain

Selby
Old 31 Mar 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2664073)   #3
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC states heavy showers for Fri, Sat and Sun.
Whether it actually showers when it's track time remains to be seen, but it looks like there's a good chance for it.

Hope it's not quite as 'Niagra' as last year, but a wet one would be nice.

P
Old 31 Mar 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2664132)   #4
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
A rain abbreviated race with half points isn't what I'm in the mood for, neither is an "exciting" race only because of wet conditions. Only a moron would schedule a race in the PM in Malaysia at this time of year.

What I'd REALLY like to see is what is REALLY going on with the rules changes in normal conditions and get on with what's needed to fix things instead of hoping for rain, crashes, safety cars and other nonsense to make the racing interesting.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2664165)   #5
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I agree Spritle,
last year's GP was a joke as it turned out.
But things average out over a season with wet, dry, hot, cool races, but as much as I quite like a wet race, I hope this year's Malaysian isn't the submariners affair it was last year.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 13:23 (Ref:2664175)   #6
Speed-freak
Rookie

United Kingdom
uk
Speed-freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm doing a rain dance in my office. Perhaps just a few heavy showers would do the trick ......
Old 31 Mar 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2664238)   #7
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool Malaysia? I though it was always warm there?

Nice video though.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:10 (Ref:2664254)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
What I'd REALLY like to see is what is REALLY going on with the rules changes in normal conditions and get on with what's needed to fix things instead of hoping for rain, crashes, safety cars and other nonsense to make the racing interesting.
Save the dry racing for tracks that *promote overtaking

For now, i'm happy to have a repeat of Australia, thank you!

Selby

*NOT promoting overtaking in the 'long straight/massive hairpin' sense, i'm talking Monza's, Spa's etc
Old 31 Mar 2010, 18:41 (Ref:2664345)   #9
frostie
Ten-Tenths Photo Of The Year Winner 2013
Racer

Ireland
Dundalk
frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!frostie is going for a new world record!
We should probably a thread open for this weekends Malaysian Grand Prix open at this stage. I'm sure I've left out some of the stuff that usually goes into this thread openers so could a mod insert whatever is missing.

The first Malaysian Grand Prix was held in 1999 and Ferrari romped off with a dominant one two with Eddie Irvine emerging victorious. Previous races have tended to be dominated by one driver with the winning margin generally in the region of 20 seconds which equates at approximately 0.4 seconds per lap during the race. As a result it is unlikely that we will see a great battle for the victory but with the battle between Red Bull, Ferrari and McLaren proving to be quite close in terms of race pace there is the potential for a closer battle at the front than what we have seen here in the past. A few interesting stats are that only Kimi Raikkonen, in 03, came from outside the front two rows to win the race, and Massa, in 07 and 08, is the only pole sitter not to finish on the podium.

There are potential overtaking positions on this racetrack with two one kilometre straights to start and finish the lap entering into tight hairpins so there should be opportunities for drivers to challenge one another this weekend. We saw in both Bahrain and Melbourne that even if drivers have a significant advantage in terms of pace that it can still be quite difficult to overtake but we may see an increase in overtaking at the front here due to the wide nature of the track and the variance of lines that are available into the hairpins.

Elsewhere on the track there is a good balance of slow and high speed corners with turns 12 and 13 providing a perfect insight into what makes a Formula 1 car so difficult to drive. Turn 12 is an ultra fast left hander feeding directly in a right hander that needs to taken perfectly as it will dictate the speed a driver can carry down the long back straight and the prime overtaking spot into the final corner.

The weather always has the potential to create an exciting race in Malaysia. Formula 1 comes to town during the rainy season and rain showers can come out of nowhere and engulf the circuit in minutes leaving the race track exceptionally perilous for drivers on the wrong set of tyres, a perfect example was last year and also 2001. For this weekend’s scattered thunder storms are expected for each day of running. The conditions that are faced in Malaysia are generally considered to be the toughest faced by the teams all year, high temperatures and high humidity makes for an uncomfortable workplace. The conditions are so tough for drivers to deal with that during pit stops it is not unknown to see a team member pour a bottle of cold water over the driver while he waits for the mechanics to finish their work, but with stops taking in the region of 4 seconds this may be a luxury that drivers have to go without this year.

Past winners:
2009 Button
2008 Raikkonen
2007 Alonso
2006 Fisichella
2005 Alonso
2004 M. Schumacher
2003 Raikkonen
2002 R. Schumacher
2001 M. Schumacher
2000 M. Schumacher
1999 Eddie Irvine

TV Schedule:
Friday 2 April
Practice one: 0255-0435
Practice two: 0655-0835
Saturday 3 April
Practice three: 0655-0805
Qualifying: 0800-1030s extra/online
Sunday 4 April
Race: 0800-1000
Post race forum: 0900-1000
Highlights: 1900-2000, BBC Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77
10 Tenth Chatroom is open for discussion during all sessions too.

Of course, you can join the crowd there too if no racing is going on. See you there.

Last edited by Bononi; 1 Apr 2010 at 12:49.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2664353)   #10
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1st mistake, it is round 3 not round 2. and you forgot to say to UK fans that at 9.55am we have to hop over to BBC2. the race is at 9.00BST to 11.00BST ( I think you still using GMT but we just a weekend ago put our clocks forward in the UK)
Old 31 Mar 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2664416)   #11
skells22
Veteran

i just hope it goes to its 56 lap mark this time around and i better add this in just in case anyone is late up there is a replay without the channel hop on BBC2 at 2.25pm for a full re-run
Old 31 Mar 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2664432)   #12
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 2? Well i suppose some people wish Bahrain never happened!
Old 1 Apr 2010, 00:07 (Ref:2664543)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is so going to be a repeat of what happened last year. It has a sense of inevitability to it.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 00:37 (Ref:2664547)   #14
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean in terms of weather and being red-flagged?

I'm hoping for rain, preferably intermittent downpours. Don't want to see any red flags though.

M Schumacher is still the rain-master

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 04:17 (Ref:2664575)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is nearly certain that it is going to rain at some point in the GP I would say, and the chance of a red flagged half points affair is not massively unlikley either I would think.

At this time of year, and especially at that time of day, there are lots of thunderstorms and much rain. It is just the way it is.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 07:39 (Ref:2664626)   #16
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Many thanks Frostie.
The round 2 being round 3 issue apart, a very interesting bit of summarising. Enjoyable read.

I hope we get a spot of rain again, but pray it's not a repeat of last years red flag thing.

And nice one Jamesy-18.

Cheers
P
Old 1 Apr 2010, 11:10 (Ref:2664738)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Shall I start the 10/10ths rain dance now?
Old 1 Apr 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2664795)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Made some comestic changes to look better, I hope.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 13:37 (Ref:2664817)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Shall I start the 10/10ths rain dance now?
No need. I'd say rain is 99.9% likely at this stage - it's been raining every day at 5 with quali and the race starting at 4 local time
Old 1 Apr 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2664821)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sub-tropical storms are unpredictable. They can come for a few minutes or a couple of hours and then the sun shines bringing hot wet air, anytime.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 13:48 (Ref:2664822)   #21
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the case that it does rain, have any of us found out what would happen if they red-flag quali? Know I've asked a couple times but not sure where to look for the FIA's rules on abbreviated sessions, would they use the last completed session's times or the NASCAR system of grid position by season points?
Old 1 Apr 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2664835)   #22
skells22
Veteran

i might be able to answer that, if qualifying is red flagged to rain and there is no times set then there is always Sunday to set a time (like in Japan some years back). otherwise do not know
Old 1 Apr 2010, 15:14 (Ref:2664873)   #23
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt it'll rain until Q3 anyway, so it makes no difference. If there is no Q3, they'll go on Q2 times
Old 1 Apr 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2664877)   #24
Grandpa_Rob
Racer

Australia
Oz
Grandpa_Rob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it does rain during Quali Vettel and Webber are both masters of the wet and would properbly see another RBR lockout.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2664882)   #25
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa_Rob View Post
If it does rain during Quali Vettel and Webber are both masters of the wet and would properbly see another RBR lockout.
Is there anyone on the grid that hasn't been called a rain master over the last few years on here in fairness

i can remember it being said about Vettel, Webber, Hamilton, Button, Schumacher, Sutil ... do i need to carry on?