Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 27 Oct 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3585956)   #176
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
A few weeks ago, Jens Marquardt openly worried about DTM becoming to aero-depended as BMW uses their road-car wind tunnels to develop the race cars, they don't even have dedicated facilities for that the way Audi or Mercedes have.
I remember that but I'm not sure what dedicated facilities Audi and Mercedes have for that, as well. For LMP1, Audi uses Sauber wind tunnel(or at least used to do so) and Mercedes just supplies it's top PUs to the Brackley team which is responsible for "their" F1 car

Another thing we have to consider is that WEC doesn't have F1 bullshit restrictions. When F1 was more free, Ferrari never needed a wind tunnel(that's partially why they have been suffering so much since 2009. Their own wind tunnel consistently have had correlations problems and they were using Toyota's Cologne one at some point). If they needed to evaluate CFD predictions, they would just go to the track(Fiorano, for that matter, which was nearby) and have real results right there on the spot.

All BMW would need is super computers and CFD(relatively cheap) and then run on some private(don't know if they have one) track to test it.

BMW consistently supplied the most powerful engines in F1 against several others marques like Toyota, Honda, Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault, so I don't see them lagging behind on that department.

All in all, if they could showcase a proven succesfull tech with hydrogen-powered fuel cell race car, that could fullfill their marketing's aims regardless of the results. They wouldn't need to win to sell their hydrogen-powered cars, they just need to prove the tech works reliably and is cost effective for the customer, imho.

Last edited by Artur; 27 Oct 2015 at 11:56.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 22:59 (Ref:3586077)   #177
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure whatever it is that BMW is working on, they are already doing it. They most likely have a working group together already. Porsche debuted a car last year that was born in 2010-2011.
Old 28 Oct 2015, 00:34 (Ref:3586097)   #178
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
BMW still have Miramar in France as a private test track don't they??
Old 28 Oct 2015, 00:54 (Ref:3586101)   #179
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Gotta say the article makes a good point in about going hydrogen... they are going to partner with Toyota in that area. Not sure how Toyota would feel about bmw being the first to do a hydrogen powered LM racer. I dont think theyd like to be beat to that like Audi was first to race with a hyrid lmp1. I think g56 is more likely at the moment and maybe it pushes the aco to open that up to lmp? Of note is theres a Gran Turismo vision car by Hyundai that uses a hydrogen hybrid powertrain in an lmp1 type car. This could open up the door to more than just bmw.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 12:36 (Ref:3586387)   #180
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
BMW has no budget to fight the big dogs! They like to be mocked from time to time. FIA WEC is not just technology and ACO PR sing songs. It is a deep pocket war. Ask those guys at Cologne.
Old 30 Oct 2015, 02:58 (Ref:3586549)   #181
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
BMW has no budget to fight the big dogs! They like to be mocked from time to time. FIA WEC is not just technology and ACO PR sing songs. It is a deep pocket war. Ask those guys at Cologne.
BMW is swimming in cash, it's all a question about whether they`re willing to open the wallet, same as Toyota.
Old 2 Nov 2015, 16:54 (Ref:3587539)   #182
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
BMW is swimming in cash, it's all a question about whether they`re willing to open the wallet, same as Toyota.
It's not a question of budget, but return in investment.

Toyota and Honda in F1: waste of money.
Nissan in LMP1: I guess too.
Citroën in WRC and WTCC: waste of money.
Renault in F1: good investment when Alonso won, bad investment when Vettel won.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 10:14 (Ref:3588075)   #183
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Not sure why WRC would have been a bad investment for Citroen.

They had a works presence there for more than a decade and you'd think that the program was under scrutiny from the board for several times during that period.

So they must have been happy with what they got out of it, especially as it was extremely successful as well.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 15:07 (Ref:3588131)   #184
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Not sure why WRC would have been a bad investment for Citroen.

They had a works presence there for more than a decade and you'd think that the program was under scrutiny from the board for several times during that period.

So they must have been happy with what they got out of it, especially as it was extremely successful as well.
Not to mention that in 2011 it was probably put directly against Peugeot LMP1 program and we know which one survived.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3588174)   #185
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I assume WRC is popular enough in other countries to justify the WRC program. In the UK, I wouldn't say it gets any coverage.
Old 4 Nov 2015, 20:24 (Ref:3588222)   #186
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Loeb's name might have had a hand in that. He is pretty well-known.
Old 4 Mar 2016, 20:15 (Ref:3619990)   #187
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back in July last year, what BMW stated for being number one request before seriously considering Formula E, was to kill off the ridiculous mid race car swapping. Well now that seems to be high on the agenda of proceedings (along the line), so who knows maybe BMW starts to swim to that direction after all?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123119

However, as the title says the series is sticking to it's dumbed down spec formula and backtracking in their words of opening up things, so the technological factor still stays millenia away from LMP1, electricity or not.

Elsewhere, since last time this thread had posts, there have been some "insider" talk of BMW looking at LM again, but nothing substantial.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 21:52 (Ref:3663338)   #188
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/b...8-regulations/

zzz
Old 3 Aug 2016, 22:23 (Ref:3663343)   #189
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
No surprise, just keep the carrot dangling that much longer.

Although there was a mention of the potential for new factories in LMP1-H in RCE's LMP1 regulation review last month. I forget who exactly was quoted (it was one of the "Big 3"), but the supposedly full-electric entry was a non-starter because the manufacturer behind it wanted to use, amongst other things, permanent 4WD and torque vectoring. Sound familiar?

I'll dig up the exact quote if anyone is really interested, but it just sounded like an excuse as I read it.
Old 3 Aug 2016, 22:48 (Ref:3663351)   #190
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
It's not really a carrot, BMW has made it clear that they want to use hydrogen. As long as the rules don't allow it they won't enter, it's that simple.
Old 4 Aug 2016, 01:22 (Ref:3663364)   #191
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think that it's illegal if a manufacturer puts money behind it, but with the current technology, hydrogen just isn't feasible from a performance stand point. Hydrogen fuel cells are in their infancy (even with the rumors that Audi will make a hydrogen fuel cell car if BMW don't), and BMW's 7 Series V12 powered by liquid hydrogen only makes a bit more than 260bhp, which frankly is puny for a 6 liter V12, and liquid hydrogen has very low energy density.

This is more of a case that if it doesn't make sense for the 2018 regs, no manufacturer will commit to it. Even Audi say that their proposed hydrogen fuel cell LMP1 is several years away from being close to reality.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 05:37 (Ref:3663525)   #192
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
No surprise, just keep the carrot dangling that much longer.

Although there was a mention of the potential for new factories in LMP1-H in RCE's LMP1 regulation review last month. I forget who exactly was quoted (it was one of the "Big 3"), but the supposedly full-electric entry was a non-starter because the manufacturer behind it wanted to use, amongst other things, permanent 4WD and torque vectoring. Sound familiar?

I'll dig up the exact quote if anyone is really interested, but it just sounded like an excuse as I read it.
That one of the current lmp1 teams wanting to do the 4wd full time? I can think of a couple others that would be interested in doing that.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 06:23 (Ref:3663531)   #193
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I don't think that it's illegal if a manufacturer puts money behind it, but with the current technology, hydrogen just isn't feasible from a performance stand point. Hydrogen fuel cells are in their infancy (even with the rumors that Audi will make a hydrogen fuel cell car if BMW don't), and BMW's 7 Series V12 powered by liquid hydrogen only makes a bit more than 260bhp, which frankly is puny for a 6 liter V12, and liquid hydrogen has very low energy density.
No one expects to burn hydrogen in ICE, all future hydrogen cars will use fuel cell. Under current energy and power rules fuel cell should produce constant 300 kW and battery buffer will take care for peak power and KERS. The major problem will obviously be weight and space (aero). A hydrogen fuel tank alone with 5 kg (710 MJ ~7 LeMans laps) of fuel capacity currently weights 90 kg.
Old 8 Aug 2016, 12:46 (Ref:3664332)   #194
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
They are the jewel of denial. Turns out that the rumored hydrogen novel is fact, not fiction. And I have the inside scoop on who the author is.
BMW will just come in when the rules are favourable to them. They wont come for a fist fight with Audi and Porsche right now.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 12:38 (Ref:3664597)   #195
jan bot
Rookie

jan bot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hydrogen might or might not become LMP1. But some students in Holland are trying hard to become the first to compete against combustion engined competition.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 12:43 (Ref:3664598)   #196
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
link: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...lic-debut.html
Old 9 Aug 2016, 14:15 (Ref:3664620)   #197
jan bot
Rookie

jan bot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.forze-delft.nl/forze-vii/
More info
Old 9 Aug 2016, 15:58 (Ref:3664652)   #198
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I gotta say that caught me by surprise. I didn't know such a project was being worked on. Is this a completely separate job than the Green GT?
Old 10 Aug 2016, 06:10 (Ref:3664818)   #199
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unrelated.
Old 10 Aug 2016, 14:06 (Ref:3664896)   #200
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I gotta say that caught me by surprise. I didn't know such a project was being worked on. Is this a completely separate job than the Green GT?
Yes.

But not the same I believe as this: http://inmotion.tue.nl

Lord knows what's all going on with these possible/potential Garage 56 entrants...