Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 Jan 2004, 09:39 (Ref:843715)   #1
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crashes which changed history - HANS & neck restraints

Somewhat prompted by last night's "Crashes which changed history" on TV, how much is a HANS device? I guess you need a helmet to suit (and I guess it all comes to an amount which is out of reach to the average club racer)? Which leads on to the question, how much protection does a neck restraint give to this type of injury (I'm after facts, not just that "the medics said he might have been much worse off without it"). Is there any proper studies on neck restraints?
Old 20 Jan 2004, 09:39 (Ref:843716)   #2
Revracing
Racer

Revracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HANS Device

After watchin last nights program about crashes that changed Motor Racing, I was forced to re asses my opinion on this, has/is anyone using this and what are your thoughts and/or experience with this device?

Steve McQueen
Old 20 Jan 2004, 09:49 (Ref:843727)   #3
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The hans device is obviously a life saver, its a shame it's so expensive.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 09:52 (Ref:843735)   #4
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
it costs alot...not sure how much exactly....but the thing needs to be moulded to your body and helmet......look at ascar...think its called the hutchinsons device they use...its a cheeper but just as effective solution
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:08 (Ref:843752)   #5
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My reaction to the programme was exactly the same. Do you think it is that expensive, really? DT sell the carbon/FG model, which should be more than good enough for club racing (?) for under £600 + VAT. I paid £800 for my helmet, including painting.
I'm seriously thinking of getting a HANS device. Is anyone else, now?
Also I understand that it will be compulsary to use a HANS in the new F BMW. Is that the shape of things to come?

Last edited by DSM; 20 Jan 2004 at 10:09.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:23 (Ref:843767)   #6
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
See another thread at http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=48979 for some details of costs.

You don't need a special helmet; they modify your present one (not sure if this applies to all helmets.)

I too would welcome some objective research on this (and other head restraint devices like the Hutchens).

We are currently using the closed season training activities to make sure that rescue crews are aware of the device and able to deal with the implications for driver extrication and treatment.

Regards

Jim
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:27 (Ref:843771)   #7
Revracing
Racer

I don't think anyone can put a price on their own life, £600 + VAT may seem a lot of money but not when you think of the possible alternative !!

I am going to get one, I just wonder what sort of movement handicap it places on the driver?

Steve McQueen
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:33 (Ref:843779)   #8
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is perhaps strange in this day and age that we spend hundreds of pounds on fire-proof clothing, when fires are thankfully rare (I'm sure someone will contradict me), but don't use head restraint devices, when this is perhaps the greater risk?
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:54 (Ref:843809)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm moving this to the racers forum cause it's better placed to get answers there
Old 20 Jan 2004, 10:54 (Ref:843810)   #10
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PM if you want a price on Hans

Jase.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 11:24 (Ref:843849)   #11
ActiveMS
Racer

ActiveMS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ive just had the securing clips put in both my helmets having seen the crash tests. I got them done at the AutoSport show by Stand 21.

Im waiting until the end of March as their 'could' be a new version out which is likely to be cheaper than current models.
Old 20 Jan 2004, 11:26 (Ref:843850)   #12
ActiveMS
Racer

See other thread. They are coming down in price.
I'll definitely be wearing one this year.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 00:51 (Ref:844838)   #13
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not having seen the crash test's, I can't comment, but I am still not convinced by the Hans device. What if you roll? We had an incident at Oulton on a test day last year when one of my friends rolled into the gravel at Druids. He went full over witht he suspension not touching the gravel and landed flat on the roll hoop. The car, inevitably dug in. If he had had the Hans device on, he would not have been able to move his head as he did and it could have broke his neck. If Diniz a few years ago at the Nurburgring had had a Hans when his roll hoop snapped during a roll, he could have snapped his neck also. I agree, they are very effective on frontal impacts, but I'm not sure in the event of a roll and would need some more convincing. I dread the day they become mandatory......
Old 21 Jan 2004, 08:20 (Ref:845107)   #14
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why on earth should Hans devices become mandatory. Surely I can take my own decisions about my personal safety. Talked to my GP about such devices last night, him being very intererested in motor racing and having also watched the programmes. His view was that such a device would be excellent at protecting the spine/base of skull but that it may well lead to more brain injuries as the brain itself developed a forward momentum and struck the skull. I would much rather take my chances without such a system.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 09:02 (Ref:845130)   #15
DSM
Veteran

That's a point of view, but serious injuries have significantly reduced, I understand, where the device has been made mandatory and the brain injury you mention is much less likely than the basular type injuries.
Also, the devices are not rigid, they do move to a degree in an impact, reducing the level of 'g' the head undergoes, which again should reduce the relative movement of the brain inside the skull.
I can't see how, in a given accident, a brain injury of that type could be worsened by using this device.
Further, the incidence of basular skull injuries has increased because of seat belts. The torso is restrained, the head isn't. Should we stop wearing belts to reduce that risk?
Old 21 Jan 2004, 10:39 (Ref:845239)   #16
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the programme there is no doubt in my mind that the Hans device works. To not wear one on the off chance that your roll bar might break is a problem that should be referred to the car manufacturer.
If one were to hit something hard enough for the restraint to cause brain damage then wouldn't that impact have broken your neck anyway.
However I am against them becoming compulsory
Old 21 Jan 2004, 13:31 (Ref:845425)   #17
Revracing
Racer

Having looked at both the HANS and the Hutchens or the updated D Cell device, they both appear to do the job but work in different ways, one thing which may swing it is that to use the HANS correctly you have to reposition the shoulder strap anchor points on the car, Since I've only just rebuilt the thing I'm tempted to opt for the later...

That being the case I will still have the ability to move my head out of the way if I flip, which has got to be a good thing..

Steve McQueen
Old 21 Jan 2004, 15:45 (Ref:845523)   #18
ActiveMS
Racer

None of the HANS device fitters Ive talked to have mentioned having to move the strap anchor points. Are you sure?

The chap who did my helmet attachments said that as long as the correct device (different versions depending on seat recline angle) is fitted you shouldnt need to do anything else to the car?

Will have to double check and will post when I know.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 16:31 (Ref:845573)   #19
DSM
Veteran

Would be very interested to know if it is the case that the straps have to be moved, anyone?
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:22 (Ref:845999)   #20
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Before you all get your helmets modified and HANS fitted. I have a concern.
Although the device is "FIA approved", is it MSA approved and does it have to be. Will having a helmet modified by someone other than the manafactuer make it illegal for racing.
The answer may be simple but I thought I should ask. Don't want you all turning up and being told your helmet isn't allowed.
Old 21 Jan 2004, 22:57 (Ref:846050)   #21
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two of our drivers have been using HANS for over a year without problem Peter.

They didn't have to move anything on the harness.
Both report no problems with restricted movement.

I'll pm one and get him to give you his impressions here.
John
Old 21 Jan 2004, 23:36 (Ref:846099)   #22
matt_tentenths
Rookie

matt_tentenths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm one of the two in the BMW Championship who wear a HANS device.

My impressions after a full year of wearing it:

- Not awkward to wear and quite comfortable. The longest race I completed was around 45 minutes.

- Some restricted movement, though this is inherent with the safety device. However, you soon forget you have it on when in the car. The only issue sometimes is reversing into the garage in the pitlane!

- No impact at all on my race driving. (I won every race that I finished). The restricted movement does not effect your track driving.

- The helmet and anchor points are not validated by the MSA or anyone, however you do need a good engineer with specific instructions from the manufacturer on how and where to fit the anchor points.

- It does take a session in the car to get used to it. You may feel your collar bone either side of your neck after a race or a long session in the car, because you should always have your belts tight and the HANS sits underneath those. You can alter and add to the padding though.

- I'd highly recommend it and have no hesitation in wearing it. In fact, it easily becomes habit and I wear it even on the tamest of track days.

Last edited by matt_tentenths; 21 Jan 2004 at 23:37.
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:31 (Ref:846614)   #23
Revracing
Racer

My comments on shoulder strap re-positioning came from reading the recommendations and advice from the manufacturers installation intructions (www.hansdevice.com, downloadabel instruction manual) which clearly advocate doing so, not doing so is indicated as impeading it's function. Another site to look at is www.hutchensdevice.com, different name, design but same intent, you can also get a manual from these guys too. Haven't found anyone who sells them over here yet though...

Steve McQueen
Old 22 Jan 2004, 10:33 (Ref:846616)   #24
Revracing
Racer

There's info on Helmet modification and manufacturers comments on the hutchens web site, well worth the read.

Steve McQueen
Old 23 Jan 2004, 18:30 (Ref:848531)   #25
Paceracing
Racer

Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having watched the programme, i'm convinced it's a life saver. Dale Earnhart said the same thing as some of the above posters, and it seems from the evidence, he was wrong and it cost him his life.

I use a a Sparco foam neck collar, anyone have any info / advice on these? I view it as having some protection albeit nothing as good as HANS.

Jason.

Tags
hans