United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber: Kimi better than JPM

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/index.html

Interesting, I agree but do YOU?!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 07:35 (Ref:875420)   #2
deeks6
Veteran

deeks6 User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Temperament - Yes
Pure speed - No
All Round - Maybe
Future Success - Probably
Old 16 Feb 2004, 07:43 (Ref:875424)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Doesn't really require a degree in rocket science to see that.Kimi's the Crown Prince in waiting,JPM's just the Court Jester.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 08:26 (Ref:875458)   #4
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimis more level headed and its easy to see why some jurnos refer to him as the new ice man. JPM is always in a hurry which has cost him (AGP 03).For the excitment and unpredicability JPM wins because anything can happen but Kimis more controlled so he gets the vote.

The Grumpy1

Last edited by grumpy1; 16 Feb 2004 at 08:28.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 09:03 (Ref:875487)   #5
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Webber: Kimi better than JPM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
Interesting, I agree but do YOU?!
Agree or not, its just Webber's opinion.

But, I think Mark was too much talking recently.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 10:29 (Ref:875555)   #6
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Re: Webber: Kimi better than JPM

Quote:
Originally posted by Led ZeppF1
Agree or not, its just Webber's opinion.

But, I think Mark was too much talking recently.
His only done 2 interviews . I think its more a case of spin doctering .

But I agree with him Kimmi is better
Old 16 Feb 2004, 10:45 (Ref:875570)   #7
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My feeling is that he is right too, though I suppose we'll have a better idea after 2005!
Old 16 Feb 2004, 11:39 (Ref:875644)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing them in the same team next season will be amazing. If the McLaren is inferior to the Williams next season (which looks likely) Juan has mroe chance of getting the upper hand. If he doesn't, and considering Ron's apparent love of Finnish drivers I suspect Kimi will get subtly favourable trreatment, he may not be able to show his best form.

deeks' analysis is quite accurate in my view. Kimi is younger and much less experienced, but maybe Juan can learn to control his wilder moments - there were signs of that as 2003 went on.

It's not as if Kimi didn't make mistakes last season, but the two in Spain were the only major ones. He always seemed to get the best out of the car, but perhaps never went beyond the obvious performance limits, whereas JPM did in Australia, Japan and Germany. A season where a lot of mistakes and relibaility problems occurred suited Kimi's relatively unobtrusive style - can he really charge at thigns when needed?
Old 16 Feb 2004, 13:07 (Ref:875736)   #9
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Doesn't really require a degree in rocket science to see that.Kimi's the Crown Prince in waiting,JPM's just the Court Jester.
Do you want coffee or tea ?, with your humble pies at the end of the year ?
Old 16 Feb 2004, 13:19 (Ref:875747)   #10
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
... considering Ron's apparent love of Finnish drivers I suspect Kimi will get subtly favourable trreatment, he may not be able to show his best form...
I don't think Ron hired JPM just to give him lesser chances to win: if his intention was to keep Kimi as first driver, why replacing DC?

Last edited by climb; 16 Feb 2004 at 13:19.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 13:28 (Ref:875761)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He'll get the same treatment, equipment and chances as Kimi. Although this is really a little off topic and could destroy the thread if we go there!

Anyway. I think they are close. They have many similarities as well as differences too. I really don't think we can say at the moment, but I give it to Montoya, just (it isn't based on that much, because frankly it can't be). I look forward to finding out in 2005 and onwards. A fantastic team pairing and something I am looking farward to as I am a fan of both. Wait and see.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 20:27 (Ref:876156)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Ron said in this months F1Racing mag interview that part of the reason for signing JPM was to stop him from going to Ferrari (possibly).

Ron, as does Sir Frank proberbly know more about drivers than any other team owner in F1, and funnily enough, both have secured JPM's services.

Kimi's a massive talent no doubt, but he only won once this season (should have been twice) JPM won twice (should have been 4 times)

I relish the prospect of their partnership in 2005.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:22 (Ref:876193)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree - it'll be a great partnership.

Having the best two drivers you can get is usually the best way to develop the car and drive the team forwards.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 21:25 (Ref:876200)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I certainly think Kimi and JPM are evenly matched and anticipate 2005 with great, errr, anticipation.

For me though, Kimi just edges it. What he did last year was more impressive than Montoya.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:00 (Ref:876249)   #15
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Having the best two drivers you can get is usually the best way to develop the car and drive the team forwards.
This is true so long as at least onr of them can set up and develop a car properly. We know that this side of things is not JPM's strong point and Kimi hasn't yet proven himself in that regard, at least in what I've read/seen. Of course, they are both getting better so by 2005 one (or both) of them might have this side of things covered too.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:36 (Ref:876295)   #16
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Kimi's a massive talent no doubt, but he only won once this season (should have been twice) JPM won twice (should have been 4 times)

Kimi - I assume you're talking about Nurburgring.

JPM - Are you refering to Austria and Japan where his car broke while leading? :confused:
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:40 (Ref:876300)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kimi's car broke while leading at the Nurburgring too - so Im not sure what your point is.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:50 (Ref:876306)   #18
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes I agree and he will go further than JPM - he has good attitude and personality for winning just like Schumi - Kimi is good very good - JPM will burn himself out soon
Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:58 (Ref:876316)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's impossible to call at this point. There's not enough clear evidence to say one edges the other at this point. 2005 will reveal all and I can't wait.

BTW, what gives Mark the right to say one is better than the other? He's not Michael Schumacher, a driver has to prove themselves before talking about the abilities of others.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:04 (Ref:876326)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Mark Webber has as much right to comment on things as anyone else. He has his opinion, you have yours. Of course, both JPM and Kimi are better than him.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:14 (Ref:876339)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It seems everyone is jumping on the 'Who is better, JPM or Kimi' bandwagon at this point in time...
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:24 (Ref:876357)   #22
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon

BTW, what gives Mark the right to say one is better than the other? He's not Michael Schumacher, a driver has to prove themselves before talking about the abilities of others.
Calm down Damon . Its a opinion . Mark has the right Kimmi and jpm are his peers but its a opinion ,regardless if his is MS or not . I not going to debate wheather or not Mark has "proved himself" .
none of us like negitive things said about our Fav driver
but in the end again its only his opinion

Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:26 (Ref:876359)   #23
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that was the initial question
Old 17 Feb 2004, 00:34 (Ref:876416)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So...now let's have Mark included in the debate.. who's better? Mark Kimi or Montoya?

I do agree that for a relative "newcomer" and not a guy with a smashing record, Webber does seem to "judge" his peers and other teams (considering he's driving for Jag) a little too much, but as some mentioned, it's his opinion.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 03:22 (Ref:876490)   #25
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
I do agree that for a relative "newcomer" and not a guy with a smashing record, Webber does seem to "judge" his peers and other teams (considering he's driving for Jag) a little too much, but as some mentioned, it's his opinion.
I was going to include the similar opinion in my post, but as you've done it already .....

I also believe it is too early to judge. Each has been successful, Kimi with far less experience. They go about it in different ways, for sure. 2005 should give an idea which approach is better.

Tags
jpm