Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Aug 2020, 17:14 (Ref:3994590)   #251
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
On RTL Television, the reporters in the studio got to contact Otmar Szafnauer during the race -- just like Channel 4 did (does?) with Christian Horner.
OS said that Hulkenberg was reporting severe vibrations and that's why they made that extra stop.
makes sense.

thanks!
Old 10 Aug 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3994592)   #252
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Well it looks like a hot one for a start.
The weather forecast for Barcelona.

https://darksky.net/forecast/41.5035,1.8114/ca24/en
Old 10 Aug 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3994602)   #253
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
That just about sums up my view on it too. Who knows, we may get "Finger Boy" back again soon. Except that instead of Digit No 1 on the podium, it will be Digit No 2 directed at Mario Spaghetti.
Lol, Mario Spaghetti. Where does that come from?
Old 10 Aug 2020, 23:58 (Ref:3994644)   #254
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
If the rumours of him going to RP are true, then if I was Ferrari I'd be asking if they want to swap Perez and Vettel for the rest of the year.
That would be a bit like Fisi in 09 for poor Perez if that happens!
Old 11 Aug 2020, 01:13 (Ref:3994648)   #255
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The weather forecast for Barcelona.

https://darksky.net/forecast/41.5035,1.8114/ca24/en
Thanks for that. Not hot at all, just pleasantly balmy, mild weather.

Makes me wonder where the Merc crossover point is between "OK" and "ouch ouch too hot".

Circuit characteristics would contribute no doubt as well.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:20 (Ref:3994714)   #256
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If only we could have some rain in Spain, that would really make it one to watch. Of the 29 GPs we've had at Barcelona so far, only three have been wet and they were all back in the 90s!
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:34 (Ref:3994720)   #257
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If only we could have some rain in Spain, that would really make it one to watch. Of the 29 GPs we've had at Barcelona so far, only three have been wet and they were all back in the 90s!
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, that's why.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 10:41 (Ref:3994723)   #258
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain, that's why.

I knew there was a reason why so many motorsports like to carry out tests in that region - if only the predominant weather conditions could give a clue...

Old 11 Aug 2020, 14:06 (Ref:3994774)   #259
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

I knew there was a reason why so many motorsports like to carry out tests in that region - if only the predominant weather conditions could give a clue...

Was it 2018 when F1 Testing in Spain was disrupted by snow?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3994775)   #260
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Was it 2018 when F1 Testing in Spain was disrupted by snow?
Yes.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/d...09809/1393768/
Old 11 Aug 2020, 23:16 (Ref:3994858)   #261
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is what is going to happen in Imola. Fact.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 12:59 (Ref:3994960)   #262
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
first Bottas, then Charles and Vettel....and now Max????

so much for COVID Security and bubbles....

https://f1i.com/images/380379-max-an...n-geezers.html
Old 12 Aug 2020, 13:12 (Ref:3994963)   #263
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
We’ll see what the FIA says. Still sun, sea and Riccardo Patrese. Can’t go wrong there
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:04 (Ref:3994971)   #264
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So, all the Mercedes customer teams (or about to be customer) are falling inline again regarding the Racing Point Sage. Guess Toto had a word...
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3994978)   #265
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or they came to their senses all by themselves....
Old 12 Aug 2020, 14:51 (Ref:3994991)   #266
S griffin
Veteran

Probably both. They probably figured there was nothing to be gained from protesting a rival Merc customer
Old 12 Aug 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3995012)   #267
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
So, all the Mercedes customer teams (or about to be customer) are falling inline again regarding the Racing Point Sage. Guess Toto had a word...
I suspect it’s a combination of

1) Mclaren and Williams both have financial difficulties....no point in wasting money when others are continuing to protest

2) it doesn’t affect Williams points wise....they are unlikely to benefit from Any handicap Racing Point received

3) they have Mercedes engines and have been told to fall in line......just as Ferrari engined teams were told to fall in line over the EngineGate Saga
Old 15 Aug 2020, 12:29 (Ref:3995525)   #268
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I dont understand why so many on here want to blame the symptom and not the disease.

Vettel didn't start making these mistakes till he had been with ferrari for a while. His spins are the symptom, the disease is the mismanaged ferrari team. There's comments in here about how ferrari screwed up strategy for both of them. Vettel knows this, and has known it for years now. He was still fine his first year with ferrari. Seems once he saw the problems within the team, he began to question strategy, try to call it from the car and started making errors. Add on to that, that as early as sometime last year they were likely designing the car or updates with leclerc in mind and not vettel, and it snowballs.

Then on the flipside, some trying to give hamilton credit for the decision to stay out longer? He was panic-asking the team if the tire would blow. He wanted no part of that strategy. But again, the "disease" is the well-run team. The "symptom" is the driver being left to execute and not worry and winning (or improving). Also shows Hamilton's horseshoe again. So, if preparation and skill makes luck, how is that his preparation and skill put him behind bottas, on not the preferred strategy, yet he still ends up lucking into the best strategy for his team and beating his teammate. In this case, the "symptom" is him beating his teammate, which people are trying to give him full credit for. The "disease" is a team that put him in the better position and were smart and well run enough to make that call.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 13:06 (Ref:3995531)   #269
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
In the same vein as the previous post,and not actually related to the thread subject,if making mistakes is a sign of being over the hill what would we say about this?

https://f1i.com/news/380500-alonso-f...-practice.html
Old 15 Aug 2020, 13:19 (Ref:3995535)   #270
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I dont understand why so many on here want to blame the symptom and not the disease.
Some people just disagree with what is the symptom and what is the disease.

I think they see a driver as spinning as more on the driver than the team. I find it odd you don’t understand how they might think that! It isn’t unreasonable.

As for the rest of your post I think it incorrectly describes the majority of people’s point of view. I see a lot of also thinking Ferrari are below par and very little making a big thing of Hamilton choosing that strategy out there.

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Aug 2020 at 13:41.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 13:24 (Ref:3995537)   #271
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
In the same vein as the previous post,and not actually related to the thread subject,if making mistakes is a sign of being over the hill what would we say about this?

The symptom is the driver making a mistake and crashIng, the disease is the media’s treatment of COVID.

Or more realistically, the driver crashed in practice. It’s a little different to the Vettel situation as he was faster than his team mates at the time

Last edited by Adam43; 15 Aug 2020 at 13:41.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 13:41 (Ref:3995548)   #272
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very nice to hear more from Karun over the last few races. Havent seen ted though?

Anyways, it is interesting that no one tried the mediums for their fastest q2 time.

Looks like they will all be on the same strategy tomorrow.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 14:02 (Ref:3995557)   #273
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post

I don't think there is anything in that. As the commentator said: "That is a lesson every single IndyCar driver learns here, you cannot get on the concrete berm". This is only Alonso's third 500, so it's like a rookie mistake.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 14:05 (Ref:3995558)   #274
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Very nice to hear more from Karun over the last few races. Havent seen ted though?

Anyways, it is interesting that no one tried the mediums for their fastest q2 time.

Looks like they will all be on the same strategy tomorrow.
Meant for the current GP thread lol.
Old 15 Aug 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3995597)   #275
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Some people just disagree with what is the symptom and what is the disease.

I think they see a driver as spinning as more on the driver than the team. I find it odd you don’t understand how they might think that! It isn’t unreasonable.

As for the rest of your post I think it incorrectly describes the majority of people’s point of view. I see a lot of also thinking Ferrari are below par and very little making a big thing of Hamilton choosing that strategy out there.
If the team is run like a clown show, designed a car that is as bad as it is without whatever trick that got banned late last year, then the driver spinning isn't nearly as much down to his talents or skills, imo. Especially when he was viewed as tentative/slow the race one week prior. Almost as if he just showed, "see, this is what happens when you push this crap car".

And yes, leclerc is beating him. Either leclerc is just that good, or the car is designed more for him, or all the focus of development and good bits are being given to his side of the garage, or all of the above.

Because of how awful ferrari has been, I dont think it's a bad idea for a team like racing point to look at vettel and still see an upgrade over hulkenberg or perez. In a decent situation vettel probably has plenty left. Ferrari just ain't the place to prove it or have success right now.