Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Apr 2024, 11:09 (Ref:4204196)   #2226
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes I can see it being a struggle for Williams for the rest of the season. Wouldn’t be surprised to see them going under. But hopefully they can continue for a bit longer
Old 8 Apr 2024, 11:15 (Ref:4204197)   #2227
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
They need some points, badly.

Or is it time to start selling off parts of the company...?
Old 8 Apr 2024, 11:29 (Ref:4204199)   #2228
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Impressive stat considering Toro Rosso wasn't an F1 team in 2020.

They were rebranded for the 2020 season from Toro Rosso to AlphaTauri, in order to promote Red Bull's AlphaTauri fashion brand.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 11:30 (Ref:4204200)   #2229
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
'Why Williams will be worried about Albon's Suzuka shunt – and what it could mean for the rest of the season'

'All teams operate under a budget cap, so a three-crash damage bill will have an impact on upgrades Williams are able to bring for the rest of the season, both in terms of volume and speed of delivery.

Vowles said: “I think take any team, to have three major accidents where you’ve pretty much taken out all equipment on the car is enormous.

“Taking that across a season, you can deal with it, taking it across just a few races is difficult. The impact of it will be what you expect.

“We’re making spares as quickly as possible in the background, but ultimately performance will have an impact on it, we can’t bring as many updates [later in the year].”'
Exactly, at last! Confirmation of what I have been saying.

Crash damage and spares is a major monetary and resource cost. The media and fanboy sensationalism about flying tubs around is a virtual irrelevancy on budget.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:03 (Ref:4204204)   #2230
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I some how suspect the budget is the reason the work is yet to commence on the 3rd tub.
Vowles has previously stated work on 3rd tub was/is underway, but work to repair damaged tubs delays completion of the 3rd. His comments were regarding the initial repair. I can imagine it still holds true for recent damage.

Quote:
The original point was about more than just the airfreight costs. It was also the materials and time spent on carrying out the repairs.
Quote:
By focussing on the airfreight alone, the bigger picture is lost.
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Repairs, and carriage of parts, is a normal occurrence. It’s a standard part of the budget, with an allocated portion of budget. Just like tyres, fuel, staff, teabags, anything else.
Things like fuel, staff, teabags are fixed costs. They are very predictable and unlikely to deviate from budget. You also have planned consumables for the car such as components that age out (have finite lifespan), aero bits that are made obsolete via development. Those are less predictable costs than the teabags, but still pretty predictable. But things like tub and other crash repair, while you have to make an estimate budget for things like that, those are variable costs. So assuming you try to end the season with all (or nearly all) money spent, the more you spend on repair and other crash damage the less you can spend on new development. In short, you may blow past your prediction for repair costs which means you have to pull money from elsewhere in your finite budget.

Richard
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:06 (Ref:4204205)   #2231
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Have you really been saying that?

Richard
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:30 (Ref:4204208)   #2232
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
Have you really been saying that?

Richard
Yes. People were jumping up and down and shouting about the cost of flying a tub back to repair and then flying it back out again. The reality is that the cost of the flying it is not significant.

Of course each team has a damage budget, which can be challenged by turn of events. Some of the other things mentioned are nowhere near as fixed as your imagination might suggest either.

Last edited by peebee2; 8 Apr 2024 at 12:37.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:42 (Ref:4204212)   #2233
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But notice who's comment crmalcolm used as the lead in for the article.

Just sayin'...
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:43 (Ref:4204213)   #2234
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But notice who's comment crmalcolm used as the lead in for the article.

Just sayin'...
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:55 (Ref:4204214)   #2235
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Crash damage and spares is a major monetary and resource cost. The media and fanboy sensationalism about flying tubs around is a virtual irrelevancy on budget.
That's almost exactly the opposite of what you were saying?

You said that crash damage was budgeted for and therefore the accidents were irrelevant - whereas what that article says is that the accidents will impact how many upgrades they can bring later in the year. Your two posts I've quoted here contradict each other surely?

Quote:
Sorry, you’re continuing to completely miss the point.

Repairs, and carriage of parts, is a normal occurrence. It’s a standard part of the budget, with an allocated portion of budget. Just like tyres, fuel, staff, teabags, anything else.

By focussing on Williams freighting tubs, the bigger picture is lost.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:58 (Ref:4204215)   #2236
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Yes. People were jumping up and down and shouting about the cost of flying a tub back to repair and then flying it back out again. The reality is that the cost of the flying it is not significant.

Of course each team has a damage budget, which can be challenged by turn of events. Some of the other things mentioned are nowhere near as fixed as your imagination might suggest either.
But your response was not to a post that talked about the airfreight. The post you responded to read 'Williams' budget being slowly eaten away with all this. It's what makes it worse when it comes to being able to make upgrades later on. Mostly because it's being spent on replacing basic parts.'

You claimed that:

Quote:
It really isn’t. Cost is tiny part of budget.
Which could mean that Williams' budget is not being eaten away, or that the cost of replacing basic parts is only a tiny part.

It was then your posts that focussed on airfreight, nobody else's:

Quote:
Lol, if their accounts show significant cost for freighting damaged tubs around they need some new admin and coordinators.
Quote:
The point was that airfreighting a monocoque is a tiny cost overall. Little more than the business class cost of a couple of team members.
Nobody else was focussing on airfreight. You then agreed with the original point being made about Williams' budget being eaten away.

I'm not sure who were the 'People [...] jumping up and down and shouting about the cost of flying a tub back to repair'
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:59 (Ref:4204217)   #2237
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He doesn't know what he was saying - he just likes to confirm he was correct. Paddock sources.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 12:59 (Ref:4204216)   #2238
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
That's almost exactly the opposite of what you were saying?
No it isn't. I was only ever commenting on the claims of flying tubs back being financially punitive. I understand how damage budgets work. I've operated them.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 13:19 (Ref:4204221)   #2239
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No it isn't. I was only ever commenting on the claims of flying tubs back being financially punitive. I understand how damage budgets work. I've operated them.
Dear god I hope not, your ability to think and process each item is laughable. No one said ONLY the costs of freighting things around but the costs from having to do EXTRA. Reading is important.

Oh and when you have 5 bucks extra something that costs 50 cents uses a significant part of the extra funds even though it's a mere pittance for most. everyone else seems to understand costs RELATIVE to the funds set aside not Ferrari's overall budget
Old 8 Apr 2024, 13:26 (Ref:4204223)   #2240
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I was only ever commenting on the claims of flying tubs back being financially punitive.
That's not how your posts read.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 13:31 (Ref:4204224)   #2241
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Aaaaaanyway...

Old 8 Apr 2024, 13:46 (Ref:4204225)   #2242
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Aaaaaanyway...

Yes.

To be clear, I was just referring to the costs of flying tubs.

Anyone who says that continual damage is going to prove long-term costly is absolutely right of course. Maybe I missed if we'd moved on to the more general costs of continually shunting.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 17:06 (Ref:4204239)   #2243
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Spare Parts Crisis @ Williams?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 8 Apr 2024, 17:44 (Ref:4204244)   #2244
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Murphy's law really does apply sometimes in motorsport and Williams is living the reality of that right now with shunt after shunt after shunt, right when the team can least afford those shunts, both logistically and financially.

It certainly is giving the scribes (& us) something to talk about but hopefully for everyone on the team, as the season unfolds, these shunt-ridden couple of races will be seen as a blip or an anomaly.

We may see a situation where the Williams drivers have to be more circumspect and take less risks (i.e. be slower) but hopefully it won't come to that.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 20:39 (Ref:4204253)   #2245
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
We may see a situation where the Williams drivers have to be more circumspect and take less risks (i.e. be slower) but hopefully it won't come to that.
Or finally learn not to put their car in a silly position on the outside of another at turn 3 on lap 1.
Old 8 Apr 2024, 20:57 (Ref:4204258)   #2246
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Or finally learn not to put their car in a silly position on the outside of another at turn 3 on lap 1.
Yep - that's exactly what I was thinking as I wrote the "taking less risks" comment. Given that Albon is quoted in a number of articles saying that he was worried about the damage and effect on the team before he hit the barrier, it would have been even better if he had thought about that before hanging on the outside in what was always going to be a closing "gap".
Old 9 Apr 2024, 06:42 (Ref:4204289)   #2247
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does Alex get to take Daniels chassis now?
Old 9 Apr 2024, 10:11 (Ref:4204306)   #2248
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Surely VCARB still have the plans for the old Minardi two-seaters. We could have ten cars with twenty drivers!
Old 9 Apr 2024, 14:33 (Ref:4204357)   #2249
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is that half points in play again then? or going back in time like Indy and requiring onboard mechanic