Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 8 Mar 2021, 10:23 (Ref:4039596)   #151
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think it's a combination of things. I do think the road course ovals were an interesting concept, but haven't exactly made it any better. However they do need to get rid of the stages, the playoffs and not get so upset when drivers speak out. NASCAR needs to improve, it's going nowhere. A great series has been ruined. Thank good for people like Elliot and others who can generate excitement
Old 8 Mar 2021, 21:24 (Ref:4039727)   #152
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
I disagree with this. The tracks are not the problems. Its the stages, the "playoffs", the way they handled the Bubba Smollett debacle, and the lack of star power amongst the recent crop of new drivers. Think about it, can you name a genuine star in NASCAR whose rookie year came in 2010 or later? I can only think of 1...Chase Elliott.
How does any of what you said reflect the terrible racing at the mile and half tracks?? It doesn't at all

The stages are at all tracks so that doesn't explain why mile and half races were bad.

Bubba Wallace, well frankly that just shows things best not brought up in fear of getting banned

Sorry but I drive around Atlanta A LOT and the newer drivers, sponsors and ads are common. So because you don't know the drivers and don't watch the series, you get to decide who's popular? And again, how does this impact the discussion you quoted of mile and half tracks being garbage racing??
Old 11 Mar 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4039856)   #153
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
The Hendrick boys Bowman and Byron are both very popular. Most of my favourites have been in the game a long time, these boys and others will move up the list once the Newman's and Busch's etc. retire. Hopefully no time soon!
Old 26 Mar 2021, 01:20 (Ref:4043043)   #154
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dirt. I’ve never watched a dirt NASCAR race and I’m excited (but realise I might be disappointed).

Only bad thing is that after the race The King will no longer be the last dirt winner.
Old 26 Mar 2021, 15:56 (Ref:4043126)   #155
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I've heard NASCAR drivers on the dirt are a sight to watch, so no wonder some are excited

Don't worry about The King, his great legacy will always be beyond question
Old 27 Mar 2021, 02:41 (Ref:4043200)   #156
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
NASCAR should NOT be on dirt, this weekend is making them look like garbage.

Fastest at practice today was Ryan Blaney late with a 20.172. The Bristol record on the dirt is 13.86 in a late model dirt car. Yes, it's built specifically for dirt but still. Nothing like 50% slower than a feeder series.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 10:27 (Ref:4043224)   #157
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
NASCAR should NOT be on dirt, this weekend is making them look like garbage.
Isn't racing on dirt (and sand) a rich part of NASCAR's history, dating back to the early Stock Car races on beaches?
Old 27 Mar 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4043255)   #158
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is in their history but this is the first time since the early 70s the main series has had an event on dirt. Broad's point is they are painfully slower than a late model dirt car, which are badass so it's a little weird.

I still like it and forgot that was happening this weekend. Will have to give it a look!
Old 27 Mar 2021, 13:36 (Ref:4043267)   #159
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Exactly as FoD says. Classic Nascar? HELL YES PLEASE, modern cars? Nope.

Unless someone breaks something there should be better cars here at Road Atlanta today, 3 stock cars cars from the 80s and 4 Trans Am from the 70s.

Late models in dirt are a blast and insane, but they're built for that and do it well. Cup cars aren't and it's more crashing than racing. And few Cup kids come up through dirt tracking, even Indy has very few. That used to be the American path up to the national series. Now dirt track is its own thing and you end up suck there without something special. Claussen is the last guy I remember from USAC/dirt up to Indy.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4043336)   #160
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Truck qualifying race stopped after too laps because the windscreens and grills are covered in mud. Lol.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 22:20 (Ref:4043340)   #161
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As much as I was looking forward to this, that "race" was one of the funniest races I've ever seen.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 22:32 (Ref:4043341)   #162
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I’m still laughing. We’ve rewatched the in-car a few times to really enjoy.

All Q races for the trucks and the cup cars are off.

Our local dirt track has its first meet tonight. I am regretting not going.
Old 27 Mar 2021, 23:16 (Ref:4043344)   #163
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The onboard is amazing. It goes from Yeehaw to Ohno in record time.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 00:33 (Ref:4043349)   #164
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
From what I've seen from some Nascar and dirt track guys back in Va, the track is GARBAGE and some wouldn't drive it in the condition it's in. A few know Cup people, lots of Virginia Tech engineers on crews, and said the teams aren't very happy and just want it done, or rain.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 09:57 (Ref:4043375)   #165
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I asked a few months ago, wouldn't putting some dirt on tarmac just end up with a slightly dirty tarmac surface? I assume there is a better way of doing things than what NASCAR has done.

Bloody funny though.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4043386)   #166
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Go to an actual dirt track.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 15:38 (Ref:4043453)   #167
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Smoke was saying at the time they announced the Bristol dirt race that they should have gone to Eldoro (sounded like that anyways, not somewhere I know of what or where it is!)
Old 28 Mar 2021, 16:19 (Ref:4043484)   #168
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
...and now it's postponed due to flooding and health and safety. All looking like a bad idea that sounded good on paper.

Out of interest, how heavy were NASCAR Cup cars back in the days when they used to run on dirt? I'm guessing a mere fraction of what they are nowadays.
Old 28 Mar 2021, 16:56 (Ref:4043517)   #169
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Smoke was saying at the time they announced the Bristol dirt race that they should have gone to Eldoro (sounded like that anyways, not somewhere I know of what or where it is!)
He owns Eldora so I am not surprised he prefers that track over anything else.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 01:40 (Ref:4043632)   #170
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I asked a few months ago, wouldn't putting some dirt on tarmac just end up with a slightly dirty tarmac surface? I assume there is a better way of doing things than what NASCAR has done.

Bloody funny though.
It's about 3' of clay on the surface and it's done fairly often there just usually for actual dirt cars. Think grand have claimed 18" down low but still plenty of surface

The front coming through was supposed to be vicious here and dumped hard in Georgia but does look like it was worse further north. Friends in Va and Tenn got months worth of rain this morning in some areas, river rise was called on most of the rivers in the mountains. I don't think tomorrow is much better, but it's been a changing forecast every day this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Cup cars would be murder on Eldora, reports from Smoke's guys was it was destroying the track beyond the returns. The track did not renew with Nascar not the other way around. It was rumored, and Tony hinted at it, that the track wanted a lot more money to get the Cup and Truck show late in the season and use that to improve everything around the track and facilities. It appears Nascar didn't want to fund that and thought he should welcome them rather than get paid for it. It was not the best attended event at the track no matter what Nascar thought.
It appears there is a lot to both sides of the story as is usual with Smoke and Nascar both. But either way, trucks maybe, Busch and Cup no. Trucks have a second race later in the season at Knoxville Raceway, an actual dirt track again. Doubt we'll see them back at Eldora any time soon.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 21:17 (Ref:4043815)   #171
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Easily the best race at Bristol since the rap... err... reconfiguration.

#NeverForgetthe36Degrees
Old 30 Mar 2021, 00:57 (Ref:4043832)   #172
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Apart from Lagano winning. Grumble grumble.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 15:56 (Ref:4043937)   #173
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Apparently a safety vehicle hit a truck

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...0Non%20Openers
Old 30 Mar 2021, 17:28 (Ref:4043951)   #174
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Oops, need better tires on the safety equipment

https://twitter.com/BMSupdates/statu...ace-somehow%2F

But good news everyone, they will be back next year at Bristol with both Cup and Trucks.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 19:07 (Ref:4043965)   #175
S griffin
Veteran

Idk, the pickup trucks seem alright on the dirt. Maybe because we’ve seen plenty of pickup trucks in offroad racing, so it seems to suit this sort of thing