Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:28 (Ref:4026144)   #26
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
To clarify, yes - Hamilton's entry is for 'services to Motorsports'.
to clarify further, he was put forward for one in 2017 but refused by the Cabinet Office (IIRC) on account of his alleged murky tax affairs.
This time Motorsport UK proposed him and did an amount of work to clarify his financial affairs, which they claimed had been misunderstood to a large degree 3 years ago.
It's also worth noting that because he lives abroad he appears in the Overseas division of the Honours List, which exists for exactly this situation.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 20:56 (Ref:4026148)   #27
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
I hate to be contentious but I'm afraid that I fail to see the worthiness compared to John Surtees achievements and I personally strongly object to political manipulation in sport. Since Lewis doesn't reside or pay taxes in the UK(to the best of my knowledge), surely this is a debatable award?
Jim Clark OBE - Tax Residence Switzerland
Jenson Button MBE - Tax Residence Monaco/ Jersey
Damon Hill MBE - Tax Residence Monaco
Nigel Mansell CBE - Tax Residence IOM/ Jersey
Sir Jackie Stewart - Tax Residence Switzerland

You have a problem and also protested when they gained their awards too, I assume?

His worthiness? Being the most sucressful F1 driver in history. If you have a problem with that then I guess Sir Steve Redgrave or Sir Chris Hoy shouldn’t be awarded either?

If you don’t like hamilton then fine....but don’t try to disguise it and hold him to a different set of rules to the others listed above.

Also brush up on your knowledge....he pays taxes in the UK and has been done to death in the past
Old 31 Dec 2020, 21:04 (Ref:4026150)   #28
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think LH should have a Sirhood. But that's because I think the whole "honours" system is an anachronism in the 21st Century. Get rid of it.

I applaud Lewis for his skill, I admire his fair play on track and I respect his views off them (whether I agree or not is between me and my conscience, please don't ascribe anything to that statement). I do not need three little letters before his name to feel that way. I'm quite a fan of his already, admittedly.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 31 Dec 2020, 21:09 (Ref:4026151)   #29
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
I don't think LH should have a Sirhood. But that's because I think the whole "honours" system is an anachronism in the 21st Century. Get rid of it.

I applaud Lewis for his skill, I admire his fair play on track and I respect his views off them (whether I agree or not is between me and my conscience, please don't ascribe anything to that statement). I do not need three little letters before his name to feel that way. I'm quite a fan of his already, admittedly.

That’s a fair enough comment. I suppose it comes down to people’s perspective on society, the monarchy, traditions etc

I’m kinda with you in some respects, the problem is they opened Pandora’s box and it’s almost a thing they have to do every year just because they did the year before....it’s a bit like the peerage system or honarary degrees.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 22:04 (Ref:4026154)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It’s nice for a country to recognize its citizens achievements. Whatever they are. From the stars to the everyday heros that make up most of the list.

Also have no problem with honorary degrees either. These are honorary.

As for House of Lords. I’d like to think of a better way than chosen by the current government, but I wouldn’t want it to be elected either. Less political please.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 22:11 (Ref:4026159)   #31
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Disclaimer: Im not a Hamilton hater... but I'm not a fanboy either.

I do have issue with the Knighthood, coming after 7 world titles.... namely it comes when he equals someone (Schumacher) surely if he is to be honoured for motor sporting achievement it should be either at he end of his career or on surpassing the record number of world championships ?

What honour do they bestow when (rather than if given he's still driving the Mercedes next season) he get the 8th title ?
Old 31 Dec 2020, 22:12 (Ref:4026160)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
Jim Clark OBE - Tax Residence Switzerland
Damon Hill MBE - Tax Residence Monaco
Didn’t Jim Clark OBE live in France? Back when we had 90% top rate of tax.
Didn’t Damon Hill OBE live in Ireland? While his Dad was Mr Monaco I don’t think he was a Monaco type person.

Your point stands obviously.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 22:19 (Ref:4026161)   #33
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Me neither. Shame we have to say so before we post.
Quote:
I do have issue with the Knighthood, coming after 7 world titles.... namely it comes when he equals someone (Schumacher) surely if he is to be honoured for motor sporting achievement it should be either at he end of his career or on surpassing the record number of world championships ?
Jackie didn’t need to! Although as you said he wasn’t competing.

Doesn’t matter though. A lot get it when still competing, nothing in the rules saying you can’t.

Quote:
What honour do they bestow when (rather than if given he's still driving the Mercedes next season) he get the 8th title ?
They don’t need to give him anything else! It’s not that the rules say you get a knighthood for 7 and then...

Different times, but the main reason, say, Jim Clark OBE and Graham Hill OBE aren’t knights is that the sadly weren’t with us long enough. Maybe they would have been.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 22:24 (Ref:4026162)   #34
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Others (F1 and not F1) have been honoured for far less. You could argue Lewis should have gotten it far sooner, judging by others achievements.
Old 31 Dec 2020, 23:07 (Ref:4026167)   #35
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like it or lump it...at least someone from Motorsport is being honoured instead of being vilified or shunned...
Old 1 Jan 2021, 00:20 (Ref:4026175)   #36
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He broke the win record this year....95 times and counting the UK flag and anthem have been played.

If it was my country i would be proud.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 01:27 (Ref:4026186)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
KBE

Then possibly KCVO/GCVO, and potentially KG....
Old 1 Jan 2021, 02:17 (Ref:4026194)   #38
alan1302
Racer

England
Doncaster, UK
alan1302 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
He broke the win record this year....95 times and counting the UK flag and anthem have been played.

If it was my country i would be proud.
It's something that the UK have a problem with - we often don't like to be proud of successful people.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 02:42 (Ref:4026196)   #39
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1302 View Post
It's something that the UK have a problem with - we often don't like to be proud of successful people.
speak for yourself, I'm extremely proud of Lewis and his achievements. And anyone else who is overtly British and brings success to my country. Very saddened by the vast quantity of vile, vicious, spiteful and hateful facebook comments about LH when this was announced yesterday.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 06:38 (Ref:4026207)   #40
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Based on my anecdotal understanding of British cricket football culture,, I thought you guys were more parochial about your towns and counties than the country as a whole?
Old 1 Jan 2021, 06:58 (Ref:4026208)   #41
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
Based on my anecdotal understanding of British cricket football culture,, I thought you guys were more parochial about your towns and counties than the country as a whole?
That's a very insightful comment. We are very tribal.

Old 1 Jan 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4026220)   #42
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
He must have known at the start of the season that he was getting it; he's practiced kneeling seventeen times!
Old 1 Jan 2021, 10:29 (Ref:4026230)   #43
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
A room a Buck House for all we know
Old 1 Jan 2021, 10:32 (Ref:4026231)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
He must have known at the start of the season that he was getting it; he's practiced kneeling seventeen times!
Sometimes the old ones aren't the best.😉
Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:08 (Ref:4026238)   #45
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
speak for yourself, I'm extremely proud of Lewis and his achievements. And anyone else who is overtly British and brings success to my country. Very saddened by the vast quantity of vile, vicious, spiteful and hateful facebook comments about LH when this was announced yesterday.
Likewise.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:38 (Ref:4026255)   #46
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Likewise.
Likewise too!
Old 1 Jan 2021, 11:47 (Ref:4026261)   #47
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Those haters are the ones letting what he does bother him too much. We all can have an opinion on things, but maybe some should realise that it’s not up to them what he does, however much anyone disagrees. The way some are talking you’d think Lewis sank the titanic, invaded Poland and started this whole pandemic
Old 1 Jan 2021, 12:11 (Ref:4026264)   #48
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
How did you know?
Old 1 Jan 2021, 13:15 (Ref:4026272)   #49
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
same.

the man pays taxes in multiple countries, and contributes a HUGE amount to the sport, and society as a whole. watching him blossom from a young man being shaped by the expectations of his sport to a grown man telling the sport what he expects of it has been refreshing and joyful. his self expression is paving the way for everybody to step outside of the short back and sides, freshly shaved pr drones. his actions benefit us all.
Old 1 Jan 2021, 13:46 (Ref:4026277)   #50
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Those haters are the ones letting what he does bother him too much. We all can have an opinion on things, but maybe some should realise that it’s not up to them what he does, however much anyone disagrees. The way some are talking you’d think Lewis sank the titanic, invaded Poland and started this whole pandemic
no, that was Hitler.
<see, Godwin's Law works>