Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jul 2021, 14:47 (Ref:4060928)   #1
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Round Four, Oulton Park 31 Jul-01 Aug, Races 10,11&12

Next up on the BTCC calendar for 2021 is Oulton Park. Traditionally seen as a RWD-favouring track, the FWD runners will be hoping to disprove this theory and close in on Sutton. Conversely, Turkington will be hoping to get a jump on the majority of the field and move back towards the top of the standings.

Oulton Park first appeared on the BSCC calendar in 1960, hosting a June meeting that saw Edward Lewis take the 1000cc win in an Austin A40 and Don Parker take the over 1000cc win and multi-class title in a Jaguar XK 150.

The circuit is relatively unchanged since that time, with the only major difference being the introduction of a chicane before Knickerbrook, making this a much safer corner nowadays.

The full grid is still unknown, with Geddie having withdrawn from the series recently. There are a couple of names rumoured, with an announcement expected soon. The field should be well dialled-in for this track having completed a tyre test there in early July.

The first time a full field of NGTC cars competed, the pole position was taken by Turkington in his BMW, and he followed this up with two wins and a third place. Collard also ran well, with only the third race seeing FWD cars on the podium.

2020 saw less dominance from RWD cars. Pole and the first race podium were all taken by FWD cars, Butcher taking pole and a win. Morgan also got a win in the third race in his Mercedes, and of the nine podium spots across the weekend, five went to FWD runners.

Changeable conditions produced three varied contests with rain falling for the first two bouts, before things dried out in time for the final reversed-grid race.
Butcher benefited from Josh Cook’s misfortune in the opener as the on-track race winner was later excluded from the result after his car failed a post-race ride height check. The result meant Butcher had claimed his first victory of the season, as well as scoring a maiden success for the all-new Ford Focus. Dan Cammish and Jake Hill completed the podium.
Sutton then showed his class by producing a dazzling display in wet conditions to storm from eighth on the grid to take victory in race two. Butcher took second place behind him followed by Turkington
Morgan then performed a defensive masterclass to take an emotional home win in the final race at the Cheshire circuit – the only dry run of the day followed home by Turkington and Oliphant.

Qualifying will be on the ITV Hub at www.itv.com/btcc, with the Sunday coverage on ITV4. The full timetable is available at - https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...ulton-Park.pdf

BTCC races start at 12:20, 14:45 and 17:00. Oulton Park has a later start for on-track action on a Sunday, which means that the BTCC races bookend the day.

Early weather forecast shows that the weekend forecast is for 20deg temperatures with a 40% chance of rain.

The form table for the last 6 races at this circuit shows the top five drivers are ranked:
PositionNamePoints 
1Colin TURKINGTON93 
2Rory BUTCHER78 
3Tom OLIPHANT69 
4Dan CAMMISH63 
5Ash SUTTON58 

The form table in this year’s championship shows that, over the last 6 races the top five drivers are ranked:
PositionNamePoints 
1Tom INGRAM84 
2Ash SUTTON78 
3Tom OLIPHANT54 
4Adam MORGAN50 
5Colin TURKINGTON48 
5Rory BUTCHER48 
Old 13 Jul 2021, 15:07 (Ref:4060929)   #2
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV 4 likely without Addison.
https://twitter.com/addison1972/stat...70084350468099
Old 13 Jul 2021, 15:22 (Ref:4060930)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
That's a shame. The last time he couldn't make it and the guy who does the Mini commentary (I think) stood in with Tim Harvey. He didn't impress me at all...
Old 13 Jul 2021, 15:30 (Ref:4060932)   #4
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing Harz View Post
Ah no, that's a shame, David is great. Richard John Neil I suppose is the next candidate?
Old 13 Jul 2021, 20:54 (Ref:4060953)   #5
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
That's a shame. The last time he couldn't make it and the guy who does the Mini commentary (I think) stood in with Tim Harvey. He didn't impress me at all...
I like RJN. When he gets excited, he sounds like Shakira.
Old 13 Jul 2021, 20:59 (Ref:4060954)   #6
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
He’s good what he does RJN. I think his voice gets excited when there’s action, although not quite Shakira!
Old 13 Jul 2021, 22:17 (Ref:4060962)   #7
swooshiain
Racer

Scotland
swooshiain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RJN spends too much time talking about all his mates in the paddock - drivers, parents, team bosses etc. Would rather listen to PON - he does that too, but he somehow makes it more entertaining, and his boundless enthusiasm just works for some reason
Old 14 Jul 2021, 08:19 (Ref:4060988)   #8
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I guess he feels the need to fill time, but I like RJN's insight. Paul O'Neill's good in his own right, but isn't one I would pick to lead. He is entertaining too of course. He's done quite a bit for the sport
Old 14 Jul 2021, 14:25 (Ref:4061003)   #9
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

BTCC races start at 12:20, 14:45 and 17:00, which means that the BTCC races bookend the day.
...apart from the Ginetta race which is on after the third BTCC race.
Old 14 Jul 2021, 14:28 (Ref:4061004)   #10
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
...apart from the Ginetta race which is on after the third BTCC race.

Oops - didn't spot that. It had slipped onto the next page (who formatted the document).

Old 14 Jul 2021, 14:53 (Ref:4061005)   #11
S griffin
Veteran

I don’t think anyone noticed that, especially as it’s on the second page, which hardly anyone read
Old 14 Jul 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4061012)   #12
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
HARD posted a photo of the CUPRA with someone rather Howard Fuller-ish at the wheel? (which he then retweeted.)

https://twitter.com/teamhardracing/status/1415272381719920644?s=21
Old 14 Jul 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4061013)   #13
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Oops - didn't spot that. It had slipped onto the next page (who formatted the document).
There will be no pit lane walkabout so last race should be back on the first page once that's removed
Old 14 Jul 2021, 16:42 (Ref:4061014)   #14
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
There will be no pit lane walkabout so last race should be back on the first page once that's removed
Old 14 Jul 2021, 20:21 (Ref:4061029)   #15
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
And at least two races will be abandoned due to prolonged barrier repairs...
Old 14 Jul 2021, 20:51 (Ref:4061030)   #16
piekey
Rookie

piekey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Ah no, that's a shame, David is great. Richard John Neil I suppose is the next candidate?
I would hope RJN gets the gig, he does so much homework on the friday & saturday into whats going on in & around the paddock, by the time he's in the booth his info is bang upto date.
I'm sure many do not realise the legwork that goes into the job.
There are plenty of championships that would have him as lead commentator for live & filmed work.
Old 15 Jul 2021, 05:29 (Ref:4061042)   #17
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by piekey View Post
I would hope RJN gets the gig, he does so much homework on the friday & saturday into whats going on in & around the paddock, by the time he's in the booth his info is bang upto date.
I'm sure many do not realise the legwork that goes into the job.
There are plenty of championships that would have him as lead commentator for live & filmed work.
Unlike the appalling group of clowns that cover F1 on BBC Radio 5….
Old 15 Jul 2021, 11:42 (Ref:4061077)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

At least they put in the effort, but the coverage could be improved
Old 19 Jul 2021, 22:12 (Ref:4062239)   #19
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
And at least two races will be abandoned due to prolonged barrier repairs...
Oh no, is Nic's big brother coming along to nerf people off the road?
Old 20 Jul 2021, 13:28 (Ref:4062350)   #20
S griffin
Veteran

Would Lewis even want to try this? Hmm. Maybe he will find some TCR series, but hey, wait till he's retired first
Old 21 Jul 2021, 21:22 (Ref:4062595)   #21
Steel Wheels
Veteran

Steel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSteel Wheels should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
HARD posted a photo of the CUPRA with someone rather Howard Fuller-ish at the wheel? (which he then retweeted.)

https://twitter.com/teamhardracing/status/1415272381719920644?s=21
Well it’s definitely not Mike Bushell he’s posted that he couldn’t get the sponsors together, but is looking to next year for a return.
Old 21 Jul 2021, 22:03 (Ref:4062596)   #22
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Max Coates in the cupra?
Old 22 Jul 2021, 04:55 (Ref:4062608)   #23
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HARD driver announcement is at 12.30 today...
Old 22 Jul 2021, 08:26 (Ref:4062627)   #24
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Max Coates in the cupra?
Random guess, or is there a reason for saying Max Coates?
I was hoping for Bushell, but if he was unable to get the funding I would say Gornall is the next best option.
Old 22 Jul 2021, 08:42 (Ref:4062629)   #25
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Random guess, or is there a reason for saying Max Coates?
I was hoping for Bushell, but if he was unable to get the funding I would say Gornall is the next best option.
Judging by the picture of the driver in the car, I would say they are of the ‘fairer complexion’ so points towards Jiggy or maybe Howard Fuller, though Max would fit that bill too!