Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Jan 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1208749)   #1
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi diesel?

I just read in the february issue of EVO magazine that Lambo was testing a Diesel engine in a Gallardo around Sant Agata. The company replied that it was part of development process for the new Audi Le Mans coupe(!) that may feature a V10 diesel as part of its line up.

Rumours were already around but this is quite intresting. Could a diesel win?
Old 24 Jan 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1208759)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Audi goes the diesel route then you really have to admire them. Their direct injection twin turbo V-8 is already a virtually bullet proof motor that delivers good performance and efficiency. Audi could easily build their new car around that motor and be very successful.

The diesel presents a number of challenges to overcome, which they are perfectly capable of doing.

I'd say that with similar pace and reliability (compared to the V-8), a diesel could set new records in terms of total laps run due to less time in the pits.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1208866)   #3
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
didn't Dindo Capello confirm a while back that the new car will not feature a diesel engine?
Old 24 Jan 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1208870)   #4
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could be right tb. I have no idea really. I was just commenting on the potential of the diesel concept in Audi's hands.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:15 (Ref:1208932)   #5
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read this rumour a while back aswell, the general rule of thinking seems to be Audi would love to win Le Mans with a diesel, partly to show everybody up and partly for the huge marketing coup it would be.

Maybe when they roll out the R9 it will have diesel and petrol, no better way to decide which to proceed with than racing both. Much like the R8R and R8C.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1208942)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
R9D and R9P?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 24 Jan 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1208952)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Remember that the Audi Diesel engine rumour has been around for the last 18 months to two years to the best of my knowladge, I remember discussing it at the 10/10ths Le Mans meet in 2003.

Last edited by rdjones; 24 Jan 2005 at 21:32.
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1208985)   #8
Patrick B
Racer

Canada
Canada
Patrick B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Audi LeMans coupe is a road car not a race car as far as i know...
Old 24 Jan 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1209012)   #9
xterra48
Rookie

xterra48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Audi "Le Mans" road car is cancled, anyway the more diesel the better, preferably bio-diesel. The future os prototypes is diesel, who can argue with less pitstops ?
Old 24 Jan 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1209054)   #10
Brian W Keske
Racer

Brian W Keske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
didn't Dindo Capello confirm a while back that the new car will not feature a diesel engine?
Yes, practically confirmed it.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 01:55 (Ref:1209130)   #11
Foster
Racer

Canada
The Maritimes
Foster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how much it would take to build a car that can contain both the V8 Turbo engine, and the new diesel?

I'am sure a company like Audi can pull it off.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 11:15 (Ref:1209390)   #12
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, I'm getting a little bit bored now with these Audi Diesel rumours...

I believe nothing solid has been confirmed yet from the manufacturer itself. It will be interesting to see what happens next...
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1209603)   #13
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FIA received inquiries a while ago about running a diesel engine for LM
Old 25 Jan 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1209608)   #14
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We may at one point see one, or possibly two, diesel-powered Italian supercars. Road cars, that is.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 15:19 (Ref:1209622)   #15
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With money and a major manufacturer at the helm, surely a diesel could be developed to pose a threat at Le Mans, even if it doesn't win. That bio-diesel comment from xterra48 got me thinking too - if it can be done with a petrol then surely there's gotta be someone who could make it work with a diesel? All it needs is someone to be confident enough to give it a go and research it.

Does the FIA or ACO say much in the rulebooks about diesels?
Old 25 Jan 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1209637)   #16
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I only heard this through someone else, but didn't Audi previously attempt to compete in some sort of touring/GT car class with a diesel?

Only one non-conventional engine has ever won Le Mans. I think that says something about Audi's chances.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 16:46 (Ref:1209689)   #17
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Only one non-conventional engine has ever won Le Mans. I think that says something about Audi's chances.
the chances may be slim...but the rewards immeasureable.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1209693)   #18
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Every time a VAG company gears up to join a racing series, it seems, there are rumours of a diesel powerplant. Remember the rumours in late 1998 and early 1999 that we'd see a turbo-diesel VW Bora in the BTCC? Or that SEAT would use a turbo-diesel in the BTCC last year?

And yet, so far as I can think, BMW is the only company to have any real racing success with a diesel engine, winning the Nurburgring 24 Hours in 1998.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1209694)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Snrub...Of course you have to ask yourself who has tried in the past? If a major manufacturer really wanted to do this I belileve that it could be done. But yes there are hurdles.

Last edited by jhansen; 25 Jan 2005 at 16:56.
Old 25 Jan 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1209705)   #20
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the benefits are definitely there, but i just don't see the need for audi to do this... until a major manufacturer gives them a run for their money, they are definitely capable of winning every race they enter with a conventional engine and a factory team
Old 25 Jan 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1209867)   #21
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick B
The Audi LeMans coupe is a road car not a race car as far as i know...
Indeed, this car is based on the Gallardo.
Old 26 Jan 2005, 04:53 (Ref:1210089)   #22
TrevorC
Rookie

TrevorC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xterra48
I thought the Audi "Le Mans" road car is cancled, anyway the more diesel the better, preferably bio-diesel. The future os prototypes is diesel, who can argue with less pitstops ?
The LeMans Quattro concept car will not be making it to production ?? Darn !! I was hoping it would and would be a 911 killer ! Would have been sweet seeing some team run diesel versions at LeMans in GT or GTS with biodiesel and winning !!