Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 31 Oct 2014, 16:30 (Ref:3470279)   #226
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Good to see Pocono, Fontana and Iowa in the calendar - although having Pocono in August and Fontana in June is crazy.

Toronto clashes with the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Fontana clashes with the 6 Hours of Watkins Glen.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 16:52 (Ref:3470282)   #227
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Le Mans will be over before Toronto starts, thanks to time zones. Fontana is on Saturday, while Watkins Glen is on Sunday. So, there isn't any actual overlap between those races.
Old 31 Oct 2014, 17:19 (Ref:3470288)   #228
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See, they did think it through! Good to see they plan to eventually get the calendar to spread across more than 10 hours of the year, although I'm not sure they'll find a huge international audience, even if they do get a good Colombian venue.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 00:55 (Ref:3471011)   #229
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Le Mans will be over before Toronto starts, thanks to time zones. Fontana is on Saturday, while Watkins Glen is on Sunday. So, there isn't any actual overlap between those races.
I meant that drivers can't do both.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 16:32 (Ref:3471237)   #230
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I meant that drivers can't do both.
Interesting to see if Conway gets a WEC seat or even tries to get one instead of driving IndyCar road/street courses.
Old 3 Nov 2014, 16:40 (Ref:3471244)   #231
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Interesting to see if Conway gets a WEC seat or even tries to get one instead of driving IndyCar road/street courses.
WEC I would say. He's not in contention for any major in Indycar. In WEC, he is. WEC also a far firmer status internationally.
Old 7 Nov 2014, 22:45 (Ref:3472637)   #232
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Not much in the article itself about the track, but the photo at the top gives some clear indications.
http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/11/...a-this-weekend

I'm hoping what happens with regards to this other event is mostly good.
http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/11/...its-IMS-Museum
Old 8 Nov 2014, 01:25 (Ref:3472673)   #233
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not much in the article itself about the track, but the photo at the top gives some clear indications.
http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/11/...a-this-weekend

I'm hoping what happens with regards to this other event is mostly good.
http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/11/...its-IMS-Museum
How long is the straightaway?
Old 8 Nov 2014, 10:59 (Ref:3472781)   #234
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On another forum, somebody posted an onboard video of a lap of Brasilia from a recent track day. This track needs a lot of refurbishment work: new kerbs, more runoff in places, guardrail, the whole lot. There is enough time for the organisers to do the work but Dubai Autodrome is probably in better shape at this point just because it's a newer track than Brasilia. It's all feasible in time and it can become a great venue. Here's wishing the organisers all the best for getting the circuit up to standards again.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 22:27 (Ref:3472921)   #235
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
BJS, using both bypasses on the back side of NOLA, the straight itself will be around 2,000ft. If they only used the second short-cut, it would be more like 1,200ft.

Honestly, I think they'd only need the second one, and could still use the first part of those esses, while also getting a longer, straight run into the braking zone to improve overtaking opportunities. It's really a shame to cut out all of those nice, high-speed corners, if you don't have to.

With the full set of esses, the track is 2.75 miles around, and this double-bypass brings that down to 2.67 miles to the lap.
Old 8 Nov 2014, 22:56 (Ref:3472929)   #236
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Yannick, yes, they probably do need new barriers all the way around. The curbs, if they are a much older spec, are still a much smaller concern, by comparison.

The main place where walls/guardrails could use pushing back is outside of Turn 4. From Turn 3 to Turn 12 though, they almost certainly need to add barriers in a lot of places, to keep the guys from being able to freely roam the infield.
Old 11 Nov 2014, 14:15 (Ref:3473683)   #237
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
On another forum, somebody posted an onboard video of a lap of Brasilia from a recent track day. This track needs a lot of refurbishment work: new kerbs, more runoff in places, guardrail, the whole lot. There is enough time for the organisers to do the work but Dubai Autodrome is probably in better shape at this point just because it's a newer track than Brasilia. It's all feasible in time and it can become a great venue. Here's wishing the organisers all the best for getting the circuit up to standards again.
If the onboard I saw, which was a bikes track day, is recent, the whole thing probably needs repaving as well (although we know that IndyCars are happy walloping over bumpy street circuits, so maybe not ).
Old 11 Nov 2014, 16:59 (Ref:3473705)   #238
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Here's what must be a fairly recent one, since it's onboard a Corvette C7. Make of it what you will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jibae4S5Q
Old 11 Nov 2014, 19:54 (Ref:3473741)   #239
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Here's what must be a fairly recent one, since it's onboard a Corvette C7. Make of it what you will.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6jibae4S5Q
Thanks. That looks similar to what I watched. Patches and seams everywhere. Could be interesting if it's not re-paved...
Old 17 Dec 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3485648)   #240
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Here's a bit more on Brasilia, including an apparent visual of the new layout.
http://www.racingcircuits.info/south...l#.VJDLE6b3CIU

I'm not sure why they didn't just rebuild/extend the existing pits, instead of throwing them away, and demolishing the go-kart complex as well.

That new esse in the infield, presumably to provide more room for the new pits/paddock, would seem to royally muck up any overtaking into that tight, 90, left-hander that follows.

Also, the realignment of the old first and final corners looks like it will make going side-by-side through them more difficult than with the previous configuration. This more the case with the re-work of the old final turn than the prior first corner.

(You know, Barber's flowing turns with very few sharper apexes seems to work quite well with the DW12.)

Last edited by Purist; 17 Dec 2014 at 00:38.
Old 19 Dec 2014, 22:26 (Ref:3486556)   #241
August
Rookie

Finland
August should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That new esse in the infield, presumably to provide more room for the new pits/paddock, would seem to royally muck up any overtaking into that tight, 90, left-hander that follows.

Also, the realignment of the old first and final corners looks like it will make going side-by-side through them more difficult than with the previous configuration. This more the case with the re-work of the old final turn than the prior first corner.
I agree with you about that esse in the midfield. I think it's there because of the limited runoff in the long left-hander but keeping the pits in their old location would've enabled a bigger runoff.

The last two corners are a bit like Juncao at Interlagos, they've added a runoff in a similar way.
Old 22 Dec 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3487194)   #242
Yannick
Veteran

Thank you for the track map of the forthcoming upgrades to the Brasilia road course. The Sao Paulo Sambodrome circuit still looks better on paper but it still remains to be seen if it really is.
From the look of the track, I expect Brasilia to have racing that's somewhat similar to Magny-Cours. So surprise winners are not out of the question. We'll see.

Yet, with 2015 arriving with full speed ahead, the 2016 schedule thread shouldn't be too far away either. And as always, it would contain suggestions about where this series should be heading for the upcoming season. The usual suspects like Phoenix (oval), Gateway (oval), Nashville (oval), Kentucky (oval), Chicagoland (oval), Elkhart Lake (road), Portland (road), Cleveland (airfield), Houston (street), Adelaide (street), Boston (street) should be namedropped again there and then. But the tracks which are really going to be added, most likely won't show up until the deal is complete. At least, that was the case with the latest addition to the calendar: NOLA (road). So why start such a thread after all? ;-) Why not?
Old 27 Jan 2015, 08:45 (Ref:3497916)   #243
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honda Indy Toronto organization hasn't started selling tickets yet but if the area in 2015 matches with the 2014, which grandstand would be the best? Turn 3 looks like a nice spot but it's a bit far away from other activities. Or else, if I just buy GA ticket plus paddock pass, will I see only tons of thick debris fence?
Old 27 Jan 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3498041)   #244
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
More than you wanted to know (probably)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Honda Indy Toronto organization hasn't started selling tickets yet but if the area in 2015 matches with the 2014, which grandstand would be the best? Turn 3 looks like a nice spot but it's a bit far away from other activities. Or else, if I just buy GA ticket plus paddock pass, will I see only tons of thick debris fence?
There are spots you can see through the fence just fine but only at "ground level", so you will be looking through crowd control chain link plus the trackside catch fencing. A grandstand seat would be nice.

Turn 3 as you noted is a good spot but that's all you can see from there and it's a bit far from other things. About the only decent photo I found is this one. The grandstand is facing the braking zone at the end of the straight but doesn't really look down into the corner itself. Photo by my friend Paul.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondai...57645759075504

The turn 11/Dr. Pepper grandstand is not bad. Here's a shot that shows you where it is in relation to the Honda Bridge. Good view of the last turn and pit in plus across into the beginning of pit lane (out of shot to the left):
View from that grandstand by my buddy Patrick:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy/14703372912/

For the main grandstands I think the ones above pit lane would be better than the start/finish ones as they have much easier access to the infield, food, activities, paddock, etc.

Turn 10 gives you a view down into Winners' Circle if you like that kind of thing. Otherwise it's not bad either, you can see the cars come through the esses of nine-ten and into 11 or pit in. Here's the view of Winners' Circle from the top of that grandstand (photo by my friend Evgeny):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondai...57634622432143
And toward the track (Patrick again):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy/14703375402/
And showing a wider view (Chris P):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy/14703086182/

Track map for reference (you've probably seen this already):
http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/seatingmap

Renewal tix on sale today, general public on the 19th of February:
http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/more...general-public

Take a look at the HIT Flickr stream and you'll see a lot of views of the various grandstands and what else is around:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy

Tons from the pit lane grandstand on the first page, also showing the start/finish one on the other side of the front straight.

Feel free to PM or email me richard_wintle [at] yahoo [dot] ca and maybe I can answer other questions or dig out some different photos to show things.

Cheers,
Richard.

Last edited by rwintle; 27 Jan 2015 at 18:12. Reason: Reasons. And URLs. And poor typing. And more URLs.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3498322)   #245
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
There are spots you can see through the fence just fine but only at "ground level", so you will be looking through crowd control chain link plus the trackside catch fencing. A grandstand seat would be nice.

Turn 3 as you noted is a good spot but that's all you can see from there and it's a bit far from other things. About the only decent photo I found is this one. The grandstand is facing the braking zone at the end of the straight but doesn't really look down into the corner itself. Photo by my friend Paul.

The turn 11/Dr. Pepper grandstand is not bad. Here's a shot that shows you where it is in relation to the Honda Bridge. Good view of the last turn and pit in plus across into the beginning of pit lane (out of shot to the left):
View from that grandstand by my buddy Patrick:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy/14703372912/

For the main grandstands I think the ones above pit lane would be better than the start/finish ones as they have much easier access to the infield, food, activities, paddock, etc.

Turn 10 gives you a view down into Winners' Circle if you like that kind of thing. Otherwise it's not bad either, you can see the cars come through the esses of nine-ten and into 11 or pit in. Here's the view of Winners' Circle from the top of that grandstand (photo by my friend Evgeny):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondai...57634622432143
And toward the track (Patrick again):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy/14703375402/
And showing a wider view (Chris P):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy/14703086182/
Thanks, that was really helpful grandstand FAQ.

Quote:
Take a look at the HIT Flickr stream and you'll see a lot of views of the various grandstands and what else is around:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hondaindy
Off-track activities look really...ultra-Canadian. Lumberjack competition, (poutine) eating contest, summer hockey shootout

Quote:
Feel free to PM or email me richard_wintle [at] yahoo [dot] ca and maybe I can answer other questions or dig out some different photos to show things.
Cheers,
Richard
Sure, I'll send some PM if I need any further help.
Old 28 Jan 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3498333)   #246
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Off-track activities look really...ultra-Canadian. Lumberjack competition, (poutine) eating contest, summer hockey shootout
My pleasure. I'd expect the layout of Winners' Circle and the grandstands to be the same this year but you never know (Winner's Circle has made one major move in the past five years).

The activities... yeah. Also the firefighter challenge. There are other things going on but those were the ones we were asked to cover most extensively, so that's why there are so many photos of them. Getting up close and personal with the poutine eating contest... not for the faint of heart! Fortunately no poutine on the camera lens.

Hope you decide to come, will be happy to say hello in person if you do.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 00:35 (Ref:3498919)   #247
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Marshall Pruett writes that “Brazilian promoter announces event cancellation”:

Quote:
RACER is continuing to gather facts, but according to Terracap, the government agency that owns the Autodromo International Nelson Piquet circuit that was scheduled to host the Verizon IndyCar Series season opener on March 8, the event has been canceled.
The decision to cancel the event was apparently made in response to ongoing local financial troubles.
More here.
Old 30 Jan 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3499093)   #248
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Marshall Pruett writes that “Brazilian promoter announces event cancellation”:

More here.
It has been cancelled, not what IndyCar needs in what may be a pivotal season, regarding the future if the series.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2015/01/...-Brasilia-race
Old 30 Jan 2015, 13:27 (Ref:3499100)   #249
Yannick
Veteran

Oh dear. This cancellation has been likely, ever since the photos of the circuit had been posted which were taken before the start of the renovation. Maybe Mark Miles put it on the calendar because getting a contractual fee from the local promoter was better than nothing? We'll never know but one question remains. With IndyCar still being very popular in Brazil, is this a terminal cancellation or does the contract run for several years, so running there next year would be likely, with the track reconstruction then having been completed?
Old 30 Jan 2015, 16:15 (Ref:3499165)   #250
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Barnhardt, Brasilia... Who's next, Barnes?