Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 Mar 2015, 20:27 (Ref:3520018)   #301
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Which is dead identical to F1. Except ICS doesn't have to race on new built asphaltdromes to make it happen, and abandon traditional market zones because of it
True enough. I’d put it this way: IndyCar faces much more immediate financial concerns and sees the licensing fees it could get from international races as a means to help stabilize the series in its core (U.S. and Canadian) market.
Old 26 Mar 2015, 20:39 (Ref:3520028)   #302
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Which is dead identical to F1. Except ICS doesn't have to race on new built asphaltdromes to make it happen, and abandon traditional market zones because of it
Also as a promoter/track owner, you're not paying the sanctioning fee of $25m for the privilege of hosting a race.
Old 24 Apr 2015, 07:26 (Ref:3530403)   #303
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as potential international venues are concerned: does anyone of you know what is the current ownership status of Calder Park Thunderdome in Australia? Since it used to be the home base of the AUSCAR Series which ended in the early 00s, I presume it does not have a SAFER barrier yet. Is that correct?
Old 25 Apr 2015, 01:02 (Ref:3530643)   #304
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
As far as potential international venues are concerned: does anyone of you know what is the current ownership status of Calder Park Thunderdome in Australia? Since it used to be the home base of the AUSCAR Series which ended in the early 00s, I presume it does not have a SAFER barrier yet. Is that correct?

It's not in the best shape. The oval hasn't been used in ages for racing and I think they even ended doing the fastrack runs on it as well. The surface is in deplorable shape due to settling of the land and the entire facility is not looking good. It's best days were over 30 years ago and yes I've been there in person.

It's not a "potential" international venue.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 09:56 (Ref:3532105)   #305
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
It's not in the best shape.

Thanks for info. That's too bad.
Old 30 Apr 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3532197)   #306
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's not in the best shape. The oval hasn't been used in ages for racing and I think they even ended doing the fastrack runs on it as well. The surface is in deplorable shape due to settling of the land and the entire facility is not looking good. It's best days were over 30 years ago and yes I've been there in person.

Very sad to see it these days in its current state with such a storied history. The track still is used for driver training, filming etc

Pity because this would be perfect for Indycar and Australian motorsport which is fairly stale at the moment. Not sure about the degree of the banking and the effect that may or may not have had with the current Indycar but food for thought.
Old 11 Jun 2015, 07:09 (Ref:3547310)   #307
Yannick
Veteran

This is a question regarding the 2016 schedule that must be in the works right now. I've decided to post it in this thread because it's the most likely place apart from a 2016 schedule thread which doesn't exist yet.

Have there been any other plans for additions to the Verizon IndyCar Series calendar for 2016 besides the Boston street race that was announced a while ago for Labor Day?

I feel the series should add at least one more new event because some current races are in the last year of their contract, just in case one of the promoters would decide to drop their event.

Have you heard anything about other additions? And I'm not talking "international races" here.
Old 11 Jun 2015, 07:36 (Ref:3547322)   #308
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Bob Jane did talk about trying to get CART to race there after it was built, and I recall talk of trying to team a race at the Thunderdome with the Gold Coast event to make the trip downunder more cost effective.

Kelly Racing ran their Altima V8Supercar around there last year, and the oval has been used for filming TV shows and ads recently. Fastrack still does rides around the Thunderdome in NASCARs according to their website
http://www.fastrackracing.com.au/nascar-racing/

Having said all that, i never thought the Thunderdome would have suited Indycars
Old 15 Jun 2015, 19:30 (Ref:3550877)   #309
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This won't come as much of a surprise, but in the pre-race ceremonies Charlie Johnstone (President of the Honda Indy Toronto) said that next year the race will be back to its regular mid-July date.
Old 15 Jun 2015, 23:41 (Ref:3550964)   #310
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
This won't come as much of a surprise, but in the pre-race ceremonies Charlie Johnstone (President of the Honda Indy Toronto) said that next year the race will be back to its regular mid-July date.
No surprise really but what is interesting is Honda's continued sponsoring of the race and future races.

With the rumours about how disgruntled they are, with the aero-kit issue and "possibly" leaving the series because of that, why would Honda bother to continue to sponsor any future races if they are no longer involved in the series?
Old 16 Jun 2015, 00:30 (Ref:3550974)   #311
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Doesn't Toyota still sponsor a race?
Old 16 Jun 2015, 06:49 (Ref:3551031)   #312
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Long beach. But I think they sponsored it before and after their involvement in CART and IRL

Edit: according to wiki they have sponsored it since 1980 when F1 ran there
Old 16 Jun 2015, 12:51 (Ref:3551134)   #313
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Doesn't Toyota still sponsor a race?
I see where you're coming from but the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach is a tradition, an institution if you will, and Toyota's association is part of that. Toronto I think is quite different.

Granted, the race has been a perennial event except for 2008 but Honda's association with it only started 2009, when they were the sole engine supplier to IndyCar. Given the current economic climate, I don't see what benefit Honda would gain from sponsoring an IndyCar race, without some presence on the race track.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3551144)   #314
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Mark Miles is supposedly tring to add some races in late February and early March.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 13:18 (Ref:3551149)   #315
Burp
Racer

United Kingdom
Gloucestershire
Burp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would they be warm States races or international events? Would make sense to have a few South American rounds.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3551151)   #316
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Mark Miles is supposedly tring to add some races in late February and early March.
IndyCar needs races in February and March, the last off season was ridiculously long.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3551206)   #317
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speaking of the current schedule.....

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints...eserve-a-break
Old 16 Jun 2015, 21:00 (Ref:3551340)   #318
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No surprise really but what is interesting is Honda's continued sponsoring of the race and future races.

With the rumours about how disgruntled they are, with the aero-kit issue and "possibly" leaving the series because of that, why would Honda bother to continue to sponsor any future races if they are no longer involved in the series?
Toronto is sponsored by the Honda Dealers of Canada, not corporate. I assume though, that if Honda pulled out as engine/aero supplier that the Dealers wouldn't be interested in maintaining title sponsorship beyond the current contract
Old 16 Jun 2015, 21:17 (Ref:3551351)   #319
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Please let this happen. Please! Road America may return.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11...r-road-america
Old 16 Jun 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3551357)   #320
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Road America will IMO save Indycar.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 22:50 (Ref:3551378)   #321
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Toronto is sponsored by the Honda Dealers of Canada, not corporate. I assume though, that if Honda pulled out as engine/aero supplier that the Dealers wouldn't be interested in maintaining title sponsorship beyond the current contract
Exactly my point.
Old 16 Jun 2015, 22:55 (Ref:3551379)   #322
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Please let this happen. Please! Road America may return.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11...r-road-america
Great if it happens.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 19:17 (Ref:3551961)   #323
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burp View Post
Long beach. But I think they sponsored it before and after their involvement in CART and IRL

Edit: according to wiki they have sponsored it since 1980 when F1 ran there
It's actually the SoCal Toyota dealers association that sponsors the race, not Toyota. To my knowledge that has always been the case and Toyota has never chipped in a dime. The money comes out of the dealers association marketing budget.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 19:22 (Ref:3551963)   #324
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Very sad to see it these days in its current state with such a storied history. The track still is used for driver training, filming etc

Pity because this would be perfect for Indycar and Australian motorsport which is fairly stale at the moment. Not sure about the degree of the banking and the effect that may or may not have had with the current Indycar but food for thought.
In order to run an open wheel formula car at speed for starters the entire track surface would have to be totally rebuilt and modernized with the right track surface material. Even running a Formula Ford 2000 would be a thrill ride on such a surface. Plus you'd need to rebuild everything else and I don't see where the tens of millions are coming from to do that. It's a non starter.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 19:30 (Ref:3551964)   #325
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Great if it happens.
Road America previously said they'd need to only pay a $250K sanctioning fee in order to make such a race financially possible. The series is desperate so we will see if they decide to play ball.

Oh and sounds like things are rotten down in Louisiana, but then these deals that always put Billy Bob Taxpayer on the hook always end up going bad:

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...x-of-louisiana

Like I predicted from the beginning this NOLA race would be a bust and financial disaster and that has proven to be the case.