Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 16 Oct 2002, 21:41 (Ref:406076)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Boycott FIA GT/FIA SCC Races

I'm sick and tired of being treated as second class citizens at these sporstcar races, and in the main being treated to second class racing, especially in the case of the FIA SCC.

There is no catering for the fans with commentary, lights on the cars for positions etc. and fans are generally treated as an annoyance.

Contrast this to the ALMS 'for the fans' approach were not enough can be done for the fans, even going so far as to meet up with dedicated fans to show there appreciation for there support.

I have been to many sportscar races over the years and the only time I, and my family, who are not motoracing nuts like me have felt apprecaited was at the ELMS/ALMS races at Silverstone and Donnigton. The Silverstone event, on a warm Saturday evening, was a revelation for me as I felt that I was at an event rather than at a half hearted club event were the organisors couldn't give a toss for you. Before the race there were displays, drivers helping with auctions, signing sessions and a general feeling of being appreciated.

For sportscar racing to get back to the crowds of the Group C days (note they are already well on the way back to the to the great IMSA GTP days in the ALMS despite only being around for 4 full seasons) we need ego maniacs like Ratel and Mangoletsi to get together and put together something special rather than having a frankly embarrassing FIA SCC and an FIA GT that is gradually being squeezed out by the FIA ETCC, while the top teams gradually move to the ALMS (JMB, Prodrive, Lister, Carsport Holland, Freisinger).

I urge everyone to fully support the European ALMS race (hopefully at Silverstone) and if common sense does not happen with a joint FIA GT/FIA SCC with accomodation for the fans boycott these races.

Lots of people are pussy footing around saying things will improve but you have to be proactive like the ALMS and MAKE things happen. Personally if there are not big changes with the FIA SCC (i.e. finish all together or join with the FIA GT) then I hope the FIA SCC collapses along with FIA GTs and an ELMS is formed to provide fans with some proper fan orientated entertainment instead of the boring club racing standard **** (with the exception of 7 or 8 top class teams spread over both series) who should realse they would be better of racing together, not apart. Why do you think Joest, Rafanelli, Konrad, Prodrive, JMB etc. are in the US and not in Europe.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 02:09 (Ref:406221)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands GP would be better. A co-date with CART!
Old 17 Oct 2002, 08:37 (Ref:406316)   #3
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember being at Donnington and Mr Mangoletsi telling us what his new sports car championship was going to be about. His main incentive was to get bums on seats and to make sure those people enjoyed the event as a whole and not just the odd race.

The plans were to have the pit lane open to all the fans who wanted to go and have a look, and not just the privaliged few.

If I remember rightly he even said that there would be a competition at every race, and the winner would get a ride in one of the race cars :confused:

But obviously his plans did not mature into his good ideas, whether this was his doing, the FIA's or the lack of support from teams. But these are difficult times with everybody wanting good returns for the money they invest in any project, team or event.

They do need to get together with all the governing bodies and championship/event organisers and sort out a common ground and basis for the different racing categories within all the Sportcar/GT/LMP classes.

The best event I've been to (besides Le Mans) was the Donington Gold Cup, when Jaguar beat Mercedes, but were later disqualified for fuel problems. This meeting was a true event, with everything you would want.

As far as a boycote I don't know would it prove anything, if the service is poor now, what would it be like if less people go to watch ATleast the car parks would be quiet
Old 17 Oct 2002, 09:20 (Ref:406338)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by egor
The best event I've been to (besides Le Mans) was the Donington Gold Cup, when Jaguar beat Mercedes, but were later disqualified for fuel problems. This meeting was a true event, with everything you would want.
Sorry to be pedantic, but I didn't think he Jaguars beat the Mercs. I thought they came 3rd and 5th and were then disqualified for using more fuel than they should have?

I was at the Old Hairpin when one of the Mercs spun into the gravel (Mass IIRC).
Old 17 Oct 2002, 12:08 (Ref:406433)   #5
egor
Veteran

Wales
N.Wales
egor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry I thought one of the Jags won(it was 12 or so years ago), I've got some pictures of that, I was sat on the grass aswell.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 17:24 (Ref:406627)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Certainly boycott the FIA SCC races as they are a pile of pants comapred to the ALMS. The FIA GT Championship is a great series to go and watch.
Old 17 Oct 2002, 17:56 (Ref:406654)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a interesting article on this very subject dailysportscar.com - comparing the difference between the ALMS and the FIA serieses, well worth a look.