Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2006, 16:29 (Ref:1665122)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Post your fantasy F1 rule changes.

Er, a nice and descriptive thread title, even if I say so myself

Technical
  • F3 spec chassis
  • 2 litre turbocharged production-based engines.
  • Road car petrol and oil.
  • Slicks
  • Huge rear wheels
  • Customer chassis, engines and whatnot allowed.
  • Claimer rule on chassis designs of cars.
  • Any safe aero package allowed, but it must stay the same through the whole season (angles can be changed though)
  • £2M maximum engine spend.
  • No spec tyre, 3-5 makes would buy FIA contracts to supply F1 tyres, last year's bottom in WDC car gets first pick which make.
  • Hybrids, rotaries allowed on equivilance formulea (like LMPs)
  • Group C style fuel limit.

Sporting
  • Mandatory pit stops.
  • 250km races, to compensate for the slower and cheaper cars.
  • No team limit.
  • 50kph pit lane speed limit.
  • Qualifying average speeds ajusted on last race performance (winner becomes 1kph slower, next 0.9 etc)
  • Up to 3 car teams
  • -25 points for a non-crash DNF on WCC
  • -10 for causing a collision, breaking pit lane speed limit etc in WDC
  • 50-35-25-20-15-10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 points system
  • One 15 minute qualifying sesson (Saturday morning) on old style fuel, infinate laps, as many tyres sets as you like.
  • Heats on Saturday afternoon decide who qualifies for the GP, top 15 from each of 2 qualifies for the race.
  • Friday all-day testing.
  • Ban on testing on ANY track during the season. Even if that means the FIA locking cars in shipping containers and giving them the cars on Friday morning.
  • Miked garages

Last edited by duke_toaster; 26 Jul 2006 at 16:31.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1665175)   #2
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
okay..

* 2 way engine rule...totally free design and capacity but with a minimum weight of 120 kgs. And a 1.5 liter V8 with a minimum weight of 80kgs. FIA ECU or a ban on all electronics.

* FIA made bodywork or by FIA regulations, with lots of aerodisturbing elements to filter as much downforce as possible. Smaller wings too.

* no more electronic diffs, no fly by wire throtle systems.

* Ban on all carsensors except fuelgauge, wich can only be read inside the cars cockpit. A ban on all radiocommunications and computertransmitions.

* no more powersteering.

* Slicktyres in various settings.

* Stickshifting.

* More safetymeasures like airbags.

* a maximum of 30 teampersonel per team present at a GP. A ban on PR people.

* a ban on multistorage paddocktrailers.

the racing:

* No more pitstops, not for fuel or tyres, only in case of rain.

* Friday an saturday qualifying, each 12 laps, 12 sets of tyres.

* FIA fighting fund to safeguard historic racetracks and bring older ones back into GP racing shape. For instance a race back at the old nurburgring. If one or 2 spots are too dangerous even now, install a chicane.

* A decent mix of narrowtrack circuits and wide tracks circuits for overtaking.
Old 26 Jul 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1665184)   #3
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Slick tires, with bigger, wider wheels at the back.

No Traction Control, Launch Control, etc.

No fuel stops, cars must run a full race with a full tank.

Number of pit crew reduced to 5 (lolipop man, Front jack man, rear man and two tyre changers, back ups in garage)

'greener' fuels.

No areodynamic wings on sidepods.

Gear lever instead of Paddle shift.

Winner from previous race picks a driver to be on Pole.

The rest of the drivers have a 2 lap Qualy race, start positions decided on previous race results reversed, minus picked pole driver.

'Simpler' Rear wing.

Onboard cameras to be moved to a different place.

All drivers must have cameras in their helmets.

Autograph sessions.

limited team personel.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 00:06 (Ref:1665465)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
We seem to have gone back in time about 20 years.

1.More power than grip.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 00:34 (Ref:1665491)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1. Lots of threads about it.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 01:40 (Ref:1665520)   #6
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
1.More power than grip.
Absolutely.

The main changes I would make would be:

- Dramatic changes to aerodynamics to reduce the reliance of the cars on wings, thus reducing their "sensibility" against turbulence by the car in front. More mechanical grip and less aero grip.
- An end of refuelling. One tyre brand with only one compound available (all tyres slicks). Pit stops will still exist but will not be determined by the compound a driver uses or how much fuel its carrying.
- Return to the free 12 lap with free fuel qualifying sessions.
- No more electronic aids.

Many more things can be improved but I consider the previous four fundamental.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 02:13 (Ref:1665540)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
We seem to have gone back in time about 20 years.

1.More power than grip.
I love this place... They could be racing in milk floats and I would still come here to visit!
Old 27 Jul 2006, 02:29 (Ref:1665543)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I will restrain myself to a couple of wants.

1) Manual gear changes. There is to be no jiggery-pokery. The way that we Joe Bloggs change gears in our manual cars. That is what I mean.

2) A squillion bhp, turbo-charged engines.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 03:44 (Ref:1665563)   #9
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Nothing more to see here folks, move along please.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1665854)   #10
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff

Nothing more to see here folks, move along please.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1665922)   #11
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wide track cars.
3 litre 4 cylinder,BIG turbo.
no little winglets popping up every where.
reduce the effectiveness of the front and rear wings.
sequential stick shift.
huge rear tyres.
no driver aids.
one button on the steering wheel,pit to car radio,no other displays.

more power than sense
Old 27 Jul 2006, 18:39 (Ref:1666095)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Slippy,
I love the pic of Black Jack.

Also, in the second pic of Stewart (in the BRM), is that a trashed tin top to the right of the photo? It looks like a mid-sixties Lancia.

1) Manual Gear Changes

2) Fat Slicks

3) No Difusers

4) No Pit stops for Fuel or tires, If you get a puncture, you can replace that one tire .

5) 4 Pit crew members, two tire guys, two refuelers -no lollipop man

6) No cigarette advertising (And this time we mean it)

7) rules written to permit a range of engine options, blown/unblown, V8. V12, V16, Flat 12, Flat 6, Inline 8, inline 4, Wankel, deisel.

8) Steel Brakes

9) no traction control

The cars should be big hoary beasts that require cojones to drive
Old 27 Jul 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1666168)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Take a bathtub. Stick a 1.5 litre turbo engine in it. Slick tyres. No electronic gizmos. Manual stick shift. Low aero grip. High mechanical grip. No refuelling. Stick them on some proper tracks.

This is my vision.
Old 27 Jul 2006, 21:08 (Ref:1666209)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'd still want it to be a pretty sophisticated bathtub, though.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1666338)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I'd still want it to be a pretty sophisticated bathtub, though.
Gold plated taps and shower head would be an option.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1666341)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So a Jacuzzi will be great !
Old 28 Jul 2006, 00:24 (Ref:1666346)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Only problem with these "bath tub" cars is that the water will be on the wrong side of the bodywork.

Ahh but wait.......each car should carry at least 150 kgs of water onboard which it can 'dump' at appropriate intervals during the race.But it must also finish the race with 150 kgs of water onboard...ta dah!

Last edited by Marbot; 28 Jul 2006 at 00:28.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 00:38 (Ref:1666350)   #18
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Deleted. Martyn's post made mine obsolete

Last edited by Louis B.; 28 Jul 2006 at 00:42.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1666352)   #19
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My fantasy F1 would include...

ENGINES & TECHNICALS:
Much lesser restrictions on engine design. I'd love to see a grid with Turbo I4's, V8's, V10's, V12's all running together. A maximum capacity of say 3.5 litres. Engines would not have to last more than 1 race weekend (see POINTS). No launch control/traction control, but I see no need for stick shift's. No common parts would be enforced, but teams offering customer parts recieve a subsidy from the FIA. Mandatory box of lights fitted in the cockpit to indicate flag's/SC situation, this is controlled by race control/FIA.. this should put a stop to bad flag discipline.

AERO/SUSPENSION
The concensus on 10/10's (not my personal opinion) is less 'Aero-Grip' more 'Mecha-Grip' - I wonder if given the opportunity to run wider slick tyres, the teams would still actually want to use as many complex aero parts - given that anything you stick on the car causes drag aswell as downforce...

... so we give the teams an opportunity to go wild with ways of generating mechanical grip ... and I suspect winglets & flips would start to play a smaller part anyway.

But, also the FIA introduces a simple test that could be carried out as part of scrutineering (but would require somekind of mobile wind tunnel!) to test air pressure/temperature and wind velocity at 3 set points behind the car at a speed of say, 100mph... these would have to fall within limits defined by the FIA to minimize the problems encountered with drafting in F1.

TEAMS
As many teams as can be handled by the circuits should be allowed, but I would like to see an arrangement like this... 11 Full - teams, who have to pay more to be in F1 - and must run two cars. 4 smaller teams - who pay less to enter the sport, and only run 1 car - these teams could NOT be 'B' teams or 'Ganassi-style' 1 guy owns 4 cars situations.
This arrangment would enable smaller people to enter, gain experience and sponsors. Obviously they would do badly in the WCC, but their drivers would be in with a chance in the WDC.

Of the 'Full' teams - 'manufacturer' teams (renault, ferrari etc) would have to pay more than 'privateer' teams (red bull, williams etc).

Race points extended down to 15th place, to give the lower teams something to fight for.

1 20pts
2 18
3 16
4 14
5 12
6 10
7 9
8 8
9 7
10 6
11 5
12 4
13 3
14 2
15 1

1 point should also be gained for every position gained between qualification and classification (eg... DC qualifies 12th, finishes 8th = 4 positions made = 4 points gained) up to a maximum of 12 points. Drivers would not lose pts for losing places.

2 pts for fastest race lap.

Teams lose 5 points as a penalty for engine failure. this only goes down to zero - no minus points.

FORMAT/CALENDER

One pre-season test and one mid-season test.. no other testing.

Weekends laid out as they are at the moment. Separate qually and race fuel loads. Teams should be able to set cars up for qualification - but not necessarily be allowed to change their engines.

Pit-stops etc i'd leave as they are.

21 races on the calender - No GP to be held at the same track for more than two years in a row. This helps put all the drivers on a more level footing, and gives the engineers more to think about when setting up the car - and provides a bit of variety for the viewers.

I'm not going to list all the possible tracks, there has been plenty of lists in the NASCAR like F1 schedule thread. I would like to see more racing outside europe, more in the US, and I think it would be great to have 1 oval race a year.

and thats pretty much it... to me this is what I see F1 should be, I could come up with 20 other ideas, but they would just end up turning F1 into another discipline that already exists.. I believe this would keep it unique, return more of the racing, but keep the big guys and the little guys happy - and hopefully keep the championship close, so that a couple of drivers/teams where always in the running

My wildest suggestion that I think would be entertaining would be to have it compulsory that the teams nominated 3rd driver must race at least once in the season.. at the expense of one of his team-mates - I just think that could be laugh.

Last edited by Matski; 28 Jul 2006 at 00:50.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 00:52 (Ref:1666354)   #20
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ahh but wait.......each car should carry at least 150 kgs of water onboard which it can 'dump' at appropriate intervals during the race.But it must also finish the race with 150 kgs of water onboard...ta dah!
Could they refill it during peestops?
Old 28 Jul 2006, 01:06 (Ref:1666356)   #21
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Mandatory box of lights fitted in the cockpit controlled by race control/FIA.. this should put a stop to bad flag discipline.
How?
Old 28 Jul 2006, 01:52 (Ref:1666364)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
Could they refill it during peestops?
Each driver must carry at least................

There wouldn't be stops for fuel,just water,so as the fuel and water go down the car gets faster.But you must finish with a full quota of water (sorry),so watch out for some extremely interesting last laps.

I fear that my suggestion could be our only hope of seeing a wet race.

Last edited by Marbot; 28 Jul 2006 at 01:54.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 08:17 (Ref:1666468)   #23
Matski
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
How?
To stop drivers from saying they hadn't seen the flag's or the SC sign, and also to stop incompetant/corrupt marshalls waving flags at the wrong time.

A set of lights somewhere obvious inside the cockpit to indicate what flags are currentley being shown would help to remove some of the ambiguity
Old 28 Jul 2006, 17:11 (Ref:1666730)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And if the lights don't work?

I'm not sure there is much bad flag discipline anyways. There will always be some, no matter what system. It's not entirely simplistic.
Old 28 Jul 2006, 19:07 (Ref:1666799)   #25
Matski
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
And if the lights don't work?

I'm not sure there is much bad flag discipline anyways. There will always be some, no matter what system. It's not entirely simplistic.
If the lights don't work then it becomes only as reliable as marshalls.

Car manufacturers manage to make all kinds of stuff work on their road cars reliably - day in - day out for 100's of 1000's of miles... I'm sure this wouldn't be tooo taxing.

And there is plenty of poor discipline, whether it's overtaking under yellows, not seeing the SC boards, not yeilding quickly enough for blue flags, almost LAUGHABLE use of the blue flag by mentally inept marshalls (I'm still smarting from that heidfeld/de la rosa thing)

It's only a little thing, but if a sport worth billions still wants to rely on lazy part-timers that don't know their job to wave a bit of cloth at a car doing 190mph past them, and call it the pinnacle of motorsport, then I see that as a problem