Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jan 2019, 11:58 (Ref:3878183)   #1026
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Hehehehe Toyota, aka here Toymotor
Do the dealers advertise, sorry make publicity, under the name of ToyoDa as US ones do? Do you have the so called high end brands like Lexus, Infinity or Acura?
Old 24 Jan 2019, 12:12 (Ref:3878186)   #1027
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Not too sure the Giulia Super/Ti is much better looking than a Cortina but the Alfa Giulia Sprint GT beats it hands down. A beautiful shape/design in the mold of the Ferrari 250GTO.
I wouldn’t have a Giulia TI for looks, but the mechanical spec and clever aero tweaks have always impressed me.

The Sprint GT is what we see in U2TC running as a saloon. Not sure if the one you’re thinking of is this (TZ)......

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_TZ
Old 24 Jan 2019, 12:14 (Ref:3878187)   #1028
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Are you sure? If you mean the TZ1, OK lets go for it, but the Giulia Sprint…

John, what about the Giulia TI and the beautiful design of its pillar? I wonder why I ask this to a guy asking for a good coffee in a Church or a Covent. Would it be holy water…*
Yes, the Giulia saloon is a beautiful design, & of course very effective dynamically.

I have two friends in England who own Giulia's. One of them, an Australian, brought his to England with him. I'd just be happy to have my long-disappeared step-front GT Junior back, but I don't suppose I will ever see that again...
Old 24 Jan 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3878192)   #1029
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes I Mike, matter of taste I suppose, but always found the TZ1 better looking than a GTO. And good TZ continuation is always better than a Datsun with a pseudo look alike body kit!

John please dont blame the east European wrecking your coffee time, may be they are married on the… polish way!
Michèle can tell you about "cousins Ã* la mode de Bretagne".

I do know who is the jerk who wrecked my GTJ 1300 Scalino but can't to much blame me for that, I was young! She was dark blue, tan seats, Cosmic wheels and Hirschmann electric aerial What a beauty.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 12:26 (Ref:3878193)   #1030
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Absolutely nothing to do with historic racing, but we all need to take our hats off to this guy.....

https://imsatv.imsa.com/video/012019...lex-24-daytona
Old 24 Jan 2019, 12:42 (Ref:3878202)   #1031
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I Mike, matter of taste I suppose, but always found the TZ1 better looking than a GTO. And good TZ continuation is always better than a Datsun with a pseudo look alike body kit!

John please dont blame the east European wrecking your coffee time, may be they are married on the… polish way!
Michèle can tell you about "cousins Ã* la mode de Bretagne".

I do know who is the jerk who wrecked my GTJ 1300 Scalino but can't to much blame me for that, I was young! She was dark blue, tan seats, Cosmic wheels and Hirschmann electric aerial What a beauty.
Mine was grey although originally Moss Green when it left the factory, the interior was 'tobacco leaf' (brown). It started out as a 1300 but had been upgraded to a 1750 engine, that according to factory records was originally fitted to an Alfetta saloon. It had moved around too; first registered in Rome, I acquired it after it was abandoned in London by its German owner.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 13:01 (Ref:3878209)   #1032
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Do the dealers advertise, sorry make publicity, under the name of ToyoDa as US ones do? Do you have the so called high end brands like Lexus, Infinity or Acura?
We dont have Accura, just plain Honda.
Infinity have been a brand here since c 2012.
Lexus has been in Aus since 1991. https://www.lexus.com.au
They are selling more cars now in Aus than ever before. Not enough to compete with MB,BMW and Audi, but doing ok. Lexus sold 8,800 vehicles in Australia last year, compared to 37,000 for Mercedes-Benz, 23,600 for BMW and 22,000 for Audi.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 13:06 (Ref:3878211)   #1033
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Not sure why it would do the demos and not race. By the time you’ve paid for everything not going be any cost saving. Maybe you’re thinking that because of the car’s perceived value? That could put a few off, but my guess is, not someone that can afford that asking price! More likely the car will go to a Ferrari collector, and sit in a museum somewhere with the rest of his ‘stable’. Would be pleased to be proved wrong though...
Shame if proven right.Lovely cars those .The gt1 ers was fantastic...
Old 24 Jan 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3878214)   #1034
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Probably not newsworthy to John E and other Brits living in mainland Europe, but I’ve read that they won’t be able to drive on a UK licence after the end of March, unless we don’t leave, of course....

Those not having a ‘local’ licence are advised to get one in the next month, or risk having to take a driving test....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 13:34 (Ref:3878215)   #1035
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Probably not newsworthy to John E and other Brits living in mainland Europe, but I’ve read that they won’t be able to drive on a UK licence after the end of March, unless we don’t leave, of course....

Those not having a ‘local’ licence are advised to get one in the next month, or risk having to take a driving test....
I've had a French licence for about 13 years.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 13:35 (Ref:3878217)   #1036
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
I've had a French licence for about 13 years.
Hardly newsworthy then!

I wonder how many are still using a U.K. licence, though.....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 14:06 (Ref:3878225)   #1037
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Hardly newsworthy then!

I suspect quite a few. There are quite a few cars on UK plates that have been around here for a while too.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3878232)   #1038
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Hardly newsworthy then!

Not newsworthy, but in Spain they did start a crackdown on UK citizens living in Spain not changing over to Spanish licences. And that was before Cameron had even become PM and had come up with the crazy idea of holding a referendum!

And still some British idiots in Spain continue to drive on UK licences, just as they still carry on driving their UK registered cars, many without MOTs (or hookey ones).

P.S. Hadn't seen John's reply when I hit the submit button!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 15:36 (Ref:3878250)   #1039
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Not newsworthy, but in Spain they did start a crackdown on UK citizens living in Spain not changing over to Spanish licences. And that was before Cameron had even become PM and had come up with the crazy idea of holding a referendum!

And still some British idiots in Spain continue to drive on UK licences, just as they still carry on driving their UK registered cars, many without MOTs (or hookey ones).
Is that a Spanish thing as you don't have to change your licence within the EU unless it expires or some other need to renew. We have plenty of foreigners working for us using their original countries licences
Old 24 Jan 2019, 15:46 (Ref:3878253)   #1040
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
On that subject, I've got a very clean paper licence at the moment. It got washed with my shirts last week!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 15:50 (Ref:3878254)   #1041
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given the broader concepts and future intentions of freedom of movement and ever greater integration ... why are driving licenses still not accepted no matter there they are are issued within the EU?

I can think of a lot of reasons why some countries may feel they have good reasons for not accepting licences from some other countries but nevertheless EU principles should not require such segregation of authority.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 15:59 (Ref:3878256)   #1042
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Is that a Spanish thing as you don't have to change your licence within the EU unless it expires or some other need to renew. We have plenty of foreigners working for us using their original countries licences
Here in France they seemed to be happy to let you continue using your home country licence until such time as you got done for something that involved points, at which time you are required to switch to a French licence.

I switched mine soon after I came simply because I no longer had any connection with the UK address on my licence.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3878258)   #1043
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Given the broader concepts and future intentions of freedom of movement and ever greater integration ... why are driving licenses still not accepted no matter there they are are issued within the EU?

I can think of a lot of reasons why some countries may feel they have good reasons for not accepting licences from some other countries but nevertheless EU principles should not require such segregation of authority.
It's a long time since I actually saw my Driving License (when I was a youngster, 'producing' it seemed to be a regular activity!) but I thought it hd an EU Logo on it meaning it was accepted within the community?
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:18 (Ref:3878263)   #1044
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
It's a long time since I actually saw my Driving License (when I was a youngster, 'producing' it seemed to be a regular activity!) but I thought it hd an EU Logo on it meaning it was accepted within the community?
But when we’re OUT of the community...... it will mean us having an International Driving Permit.....
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:29 (Ref:3878268)   #1045
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post

It is a Spanish thing that if you live in the country for more than 183 days in a 12 month period that you have to apply for residency. Then, as a resident, you have to change your licence to a Spanish one after a certain period - was 2 years, but Spain seems to change their rules and laws as an when they please. And unlike in the UK, the Spanish police, all branches of it, have a nasty habit of making up the law to serve their own purposes. They also have trouble trying to keep up with changes, especially if the change benefits the public.

As far as the UK is concerned, drivers of HGVs and PSVs from elsewhere in the EU are supposed to change their licences to British ones after 5 years in residence in the UK.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:29 (Ref:3878269)   #1046
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It got washed with my shirts last week!
Are you preparing the Iron Man? Nice race! Good luck!

Hé bien Viva, c'est nouveau ça as Mike says, what community? Non, non, non I'll personally take care of you having the steering wheel on the "right side" which is actually the left one! Non mais des fois, sans blague! OK, I'm ready to make an effort because you're Boobool's friend and you will be allowed to keep the pedal box on the right! And you will learn on the hard way the real meaning of central console!!!
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:36 (Ref:3878272)   #1047
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
On that subject, I've got a very clean paper licence at the moment. It got washed with my shirts last week!
Your Honor
Did anyone else see this morning on BBC that little machine that will park your car in multi story car park. Blooming clever idea. .
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:37 (Ref:3878273)   #1048
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post

They accept them in Spain, but not if you become a resident. They tried allowing other EU citizens to just register their home country licences with the authorities, but not many bothered to do this. So, they made it compulsory to change over to a Spanish licence after two years residence.

The reasoning is that if the police stop a non Spaniard driving on a foreign licence that they have no address registered to the driver. And you cannot register a UK licence with the DVLA for a foreign address.

By the way, not all countries, and certainly not Spain, have the driver's address printed on the photocard as we do in the UK.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3878274)   #1049
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yea and Friday rant. Who's give's a F--k about all these TV awards and that Oscar thing.And Cricket, who watches Cricket. I tell who does and that's my fiberglass man. Can never get anything done while its on the TV.
Old 24 Jan 2019, 16:43 (Ref:3878276)   #1050
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yea and Friday rant..
It's Thursday