Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 3 Mar 2000, 15:01 (Ref:3091)   #26
Steve Hart
Rookie

Steve Hart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very nearly bought a Global Lights instead, the concept is similar to a Radical. I had a long chat at last years opener at Brands with the guy who'd bought the rights to the manufacture, and who was advertising the championship as having a full Tuscan drive as 1st prize. Bought new they were cheaper than Radicals, but not hugely (£16k+VAT). Most of the drivers had early cars, which were looking a bit rough. They got their lap times down this year by allowing proper brakes (the old ones were inadequate kart jobs), trick dampers and few other chassis tweaks - the engine (600cc Yamaha) was the same. I imagine they are big fun, but I plumped for Radical as I was more convinced of the long term prospects, and they could be more readily used in other championships. Only 20 or so Lights had been made over about 4 years (dreadful marketing by the founder, I remember the early glossy handouts from Autosport show pictured a car with bits of tank-tape on it). The championship this year was dominated by one or two cars, run by the owner (since changed, I believe). It was a pity for them - the concept is great, but they've been recovering from poor management at the beginning ever since, whereas Radical got it spot on right away - one of the co-owners is a marketing man who knows what he's doing - almost every Autosport has a Radical mention somewhere. It may be cynical but it keeps a championship alive which protects your investment in the car.
The other thing I didn't like about G.Lights was rolling starts....I love standing starts, biggest buzz in the world.

re sequential boxes...the Prosport Suzuki installation has the shift the other way around causing expensive confusion for Clubsport drivers trying out the Prosport, so much so that you can now buy a kit for either model that reverses the shift pattern
Steve
Old 3 Mar 2000, 15:41 (Ref:3092)   #27
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Global Light’s never have had the quality of Radicals, both in appearance or racing. They always seem a bit tatty and get spread out when racing (down to varying preparation and quality of drivers I suppose). But a Global Light for 16 grand would seem very steep to me!!

Radicals do seem expensive as well, one horror story from last year was a certain driver forking out 15 grand for repairs after one accident!! So that’s how Abbott and co. make their money......

Steve, thanks for the 750 MC website address, been there before. But have now ordered the book about the 750 Formula, and will become a member (42 quid!!). So to search out any possible cars.