Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 3 Mar 2000, 09:14 (Ref:3093)   #1
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karting.
Ok, someone I know has a 9 year old son who really wants to do a bit of Karting.
His dad is wondering about what is involved. Apart from the serious amount of commitment required, what else is involved? Running costs, clubs or organisations or clubs in the south west, that sort of thing. Remeber the kid is only 9.
Ok, over to you people.......

[This message has been edited by Lee Purnell (edited 03 March 2000).]
Old 3 Mar 2000, 09:46 (Ref:3094)   #2
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Try http://www.karting.co.uk links,circuits and a notice board with a fair amount of helpful people,best bet is to go along to some meetings,talk to some parents and their kids, i dunno about the UK but we have training days where for a minimal cost the kids get taught how to drive,about racelines maintinence etc and generally have a good time.
Old 3 Mar 2000, 09:51 (Ref:3095)   #3
Lee Purnell
Veteran

England
Bristol, England.
Lee Purnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, any other info anybody?
Old 3 Mar 2000, 11:13 (Ref:3096)   #4
fatbloke
Veteran

fatbloke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Popping along to a local club is excellent advice - they are all friendly people (at this level of the sport anyway...) and are always pleased to offer advice. Clubs in the South West ? Two spring to mind - Dunkeswell near Honiton, and Clay Pigeon between Yeovil and Dorchester. They race once a month - see this page for more info.

Nine is fine for starting - although most of his competitors will have a year on him, as kids of eight are permitted to race in the cadet class. This is a 'scaled' down class powered by a 60cc comer motor with clutch - this is ideal for them to learn in as, if they spin off, they'll not be out of the race as with a two-stroke 100cc jobby.

Costs ? Well they need to complete a course to assess that they are safe to go on the track, there's the kart itself (buy secondhand the first time around - you'll regret it if you don't!), a skid lid, CIK approved overalls, gloves & boots, etc. Often you will be able to pick this kit up second hand too, or perhaps the person who sells you the kart will throw it in ?

Of course dad will need no little time to keep things up to spec and encourage the lad. Also, sounds silly, but don't forget he will need a big enough car to transport the thing and somewhere to store it at home. Insurance is a good idea too.

Summing up, it doesn't have to cost the earth (though, as with all motorsport, it very easily can) but you need to speak to the people in the know - pop down to the circuit on raceday!
Old 3 Mar 2000, 14:08 (Ref:3097)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Lee Karting is the only way to go for a yougster getting into racing ..I started rather late at the age of 23 but it can be expensive but also very cost effective as well.
I dont know what kind of classes you run in the UK ..but here in OZ for 9 year olds we have rokkies and midgets and I really enjoy getting out and flaggin when they are racing because they are amazing to watch...your best bet would be to go to the local track and chat with other fathers of young drivers as they have been there and done it..but tell him to be wary as you may get a bum steer as to what type of chassis to buy and what may sound a great deal might be a piece of junk..but the engines that keep going when they spin are good..because it saves dads back most of all and they get to continue in the race..but once they have learned to drive I would move them up to an engine that cuts out because then they would have to learn to stay smooth and not muck around to much in order to stay in the race...the biggest money will be the kart itself..I paid $2200 Oz currency for my adult kart with motor which isnt to bad for a second hand one..the suit and helmet can also be picked up cheap but make sure it is the right standard for UK rules..same for gloves and boots...Lisense each year can be a bummer $250 over here and I just carnt spare that at the present time so im spectating for now..but running costs are quite low..I spend about $15 for oil and $20 for fuel each meeting and then its $20 to race in one class ($35 for 2)..tyres can set you back a bit $180 but I only bought 2 sets for all of 1999 and still can get another 2 meets out of one of them..but then you can get serious with add ons and engine bits wich will run up the cost quite a bit..not to mention breakages wich are bound to happen..for my entire 1999 year wich was only 13 race meetings I spent around $2000 for running costs but I managed to break a few things along the way..also engine rebuilds can be expensive but they are needed especially since the engine is mainly at peak revs and then there is money for travel if thats what you plan to do..
all in all it is expensive but very enjoyable and no where near as expensive as cars..but go and talk to the people that know first then sort out the budjet before you even make plans and let the kid loose and see what happens..

KARTING THE ONLY WAY TO GO !!!
Old 3 Mar 2000, 16:23 (Ref:3098)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Good advice about getting second and third opinions on any advice! You'll be amazed how many of these dads have got their fingers in the pie... Beware! You'd probably be safer talking to club officials and, when it comes to splashing the cash, buy what wins! Don't let someone talk you into buying a chassis unless half the field aren't already using it! Also important - what is the local support for the chassis like locally to where you will be racing ? A Zip chassis may be a winner, but it's no good if you have to drive to Hoddesdon every other week to get spare parts... go for an ARC if there's a local dealer.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
but once they have learned to drive I would move them up to an engine that cuts out because then they would have to learn to stay smooth and not muck around to much in order to stay in the race
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good advice, but in the UK this will mean waiting until they are at least 12 and can move up to the next class.

Oh, and something I forgot to mention... when you go to the circuit, make sure that you are not standing anywhere near the dummy grid when the 250 gearbox karts are getting ready to go out - you'll get lumbered with helping to push start one of the things, and they're bloody heavy!
Old 4 Mar 2000, 08:32 (Ref:3099)   #7
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Started late at 23 thats a good one i started a couple of years ago at 33 didnt worry about KT100 straight into a 250,although i now run a 125,most clubs have a rep or commitee member for each class and they can normally point you in the right direction but like the others say talk to lots of people,and Craig if you'd like to come visit you'll only have to push a button to start my 250.