Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 3 Nov 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2327085)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Measuring leaf spring rate?

Is there a simple way to do this or calculating it preferable while still on the car?
Old 3 Nov 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2327171)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not easily!

Calculating it on paper is difficult as the leaves come it at different points and have different rates and lengths. They are a progressive spring by nature.

To measure it on the car you'd need to compress the spring and measure the force required to move it one inch (and because it's progressive you'd want to do it at two inches and three inches too). How you do that is a different matter. Bathroom scales won't be strong enough. You could remove it from the car, clamp it down, and hang known weights from the end and measure the deflection...
Old 3 Nov 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2327213)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the reply Tristan, would you not measure it in the centre of the spring and support it at each end, are spring shops able to offer a service. I suspect the springs are too hard but wanted to be a bit more scientific than just pulling out leaves. I mean I weigh about 266 lbs and want a spring a similiar weight (well about 300 actually) so if I take it out turn it upside down and stand in the centre and measure the deflection will that give me an idea, for example if it deflected an inch would that mean the spring is 266lbs rate.
Old 3 Nov 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2327223)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
so if I take it out turn it upside down and stand in the centre and measure the deflection will that give me an idea, for example if it deflected an inch would that mean the spring is 266lbs rate.
That's exactly how I do it. But one thing I'll never tell anyone is how I can adjust my rear spring rates for a wet setting quickly!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Nov 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2327272)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Not even me after I put my poor old chevy into the pit wall on Saturday because of it being too stiff in the wet? ;-)
Old 3 Nov 2008, 21:51 (Ref:2327392)   #6
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Sorry Al I'm afraid I'd have to kill you if I did !
I actually use the measured weights off the tractors on the farm to sort out the spring poundage, And In future take 4 of the plug leads off when it starts raining
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Nov 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2327403)   #7
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Now theres an idea!
Old 8 Nov 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2330848)   #8
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
didnt leaf springs go out with b+w tv???
Old 8 Nov 2008, 23:11 (Ref:2330850)   #9
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No they went out with the horse and cart but if you have to race what the car was fitted with what choice do you have?
Old 9 Nov 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2330928)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
What's a leaf spring please?
Old 9 Nov 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2330939)   #11
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Well they had half a one on a Mk2 Jag if you care to have a look!
Old 14 Nov 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2335014)   #12
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing wrong with leaf springs

Al, I had mine made up by a company near me, told them what poundage I wanted, they asked me how many leaves then took it from there.

Gordon, oh go on, do tell
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang