Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:46 (Ref:3843749)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Future regulations for BTCC?

So what do people think that the future regs for the BTCC will be?

Will they be an evolution of NGTC? TCR regs? Or will they be something totally different?

For me, I would personally like to see the cars lightened as much as possible and also for some small level of "individuality" brought back to the cars.

If they were to go with their own rules or a variation of NGTC, my laundry list of changes;

- Free/open wheel supplier (still 18")
- Free placement and design of exhaust system
- "Lighten" the cars as much as possible
Old 15 Aug 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3843751)   #2
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
So what do people think that the future regs for the BTCC will be?

Will they be an evolution of NGTC? TCR regs? Or will they be something totally different?

For me, I would personally like to see the cars lightened as much as possible and also for some small level of "individuality" brought back to the cars.

If they were to go with their own rules or a variation of NGTC, my laundry list of changes;

- Free/open wheel supplier (still 18")
- Free placement and design of exhaust system
- "Lighten" the cars as much as possible
they’ve already announced they will be an evolution of the current regulations plus hybrid.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3843753)   #3
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
they’ve already announced they will be an evolution of the current regulations plus hybrid.
Which should hopefully attract some new manufacturers in without changing the quality of the racing.

Just hope that the costs are low enough for smaller teams (eg. BTC Norlin) to be able to fight for wins.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 11:11 (Ref:3843756)   #4
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
If the hybrid system is developed by a TOCA nominated supplier to become an "off the shelf " component for the teams then costs could be relatively low.

If however we have different manufacturers developing kit then it could snowball: I've heard staggering numbers by the F1 engine giants.

I hope it's the former, it would be in keeping with the desire to keep competition close.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 11:58 (Ref:3843762)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
If the hybrid system is developed by a TOCA nominated supplier to become an "off the shelf " component for the teams then costs could be relatively low.

If however we have different manufacturers developing kit then it could snowball: I've heard staggering numbers by the F1 engine giants.

I hope it's the former, it would be in keeping with the desire to keep competition close.
It's reported as a 'specified hybrid unit fitted to all cars'

TOCA controlled spec unit should keep costs reasonable.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3843767)   #6
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding the exhausts, why do you think more freedom would be good?

The regs currently only sitipulate they have to exit in front of the NSR wheel, the design other than that is free.

As all the circuits (bar Rockingham, which doesn’t matter now) are clockwise, this was presumably to ensure there was enough noise for the spectators as turbo cars should have been quieter.

Genuine question by the way, just wondering what your thought were in it.
Old 15 Aug 2018, 13:00 (Ref:3843769)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Marriott View Post
Regarding the exhausts, why do you think more freedom would be good?

The regs currently only sitipulate they have to exit in front of the NSR wheel, the design other than that is free.

As all the circuits (bar Rockingham, which doesn’t matter now) are clockwise, this was presumably to ensure there was enough noise for the spectators as turbo cars should have been quieter.

Genuine question by the way, just wondering what your thought were in it.
I just like seeing the different design solutions that teams have employed in the past. Single rear centre exit, single offset rear exit, twin double rear pipes etc. Variety is good (as long as it doesn't massively increase costs).
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:48 (Ref:3843793)   #8
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A lot of this has been discussed in the 2019 season thread already so perhaps they should be merged?
Old 15 Aug 2018, 14:51 (Ref:3843798)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
But the hybrid spec won't be for 2019.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3844061)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The series is working great the way it is. There have been mutterings of switching it to TCR in the past, but as we have seen with the UK series, maybe not the best solution!
Old 16 Aug 2018, 17:50 (Ref:3844063)   #11
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TCR is just too slow and it's a cheap solution for interseries racing. As far as I'm concerned BTCC should go down their own path and BTCC cars should be faster and louder than TCR cars.
Old 16 Aug 2018, 18:37 (Ref:3844073)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
TCR is just too slow and it's a cheap solution for interseries racing. As far as I'm concerned BTCC should go down their own path and BTCC cars should be faster and louder than TCR cars.
I dont disagree, however faster usually means more expensive. It depends on how its done. I think the current breed of touring cars (both TCR and NGTC) are overweight, so they could do with losing at least 100kg from their base weight. I'm not actually sure what the build weight is of a NGTC car. I know when they were first built they were overweight, but I believe they have come in now well under the 1270kg for FWD. Anyone care to have a guess what the actual weight of one of these things is before they add the ballast?
Old 17 Aug 2018, 08:02 (Ref:3844181)   #13
Racer65
Racer

Racer65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Given the issues with noise pollution etc the last thing BTCC needs to be is any louder.

In the hands of a decent driver there isn't that much difference in speed and to the trackside observer a pack of cars racing at 1:20 laps looks the same as a pack of cars racing at 1:18 laps.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:04 (Ref:3844930)   #14
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the hybridisation idea. Perhaps the hybrid element of the rules is a standardised set of parts to help control costs. It won't be cheap either way, but a mild hybrid system would help to keep the series relevant for another five years or so and hopefully attract manufacturer backing.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 10:44 (Ref:3844943)   #15
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I like the hybridisation idea. Perhaps the hybrid element of the rules is a standardised set of parts to help control costs. It won't be cheap either way, but a mild hybrid system would help to keep the series relevant for another five years or so and hopefully attract manufacturer backing.
yeah they said the hybrid unit will be a standardised part
Old 20 Aug 2018, 12:00 (Ref:3844955)   #16
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
yeah they said the hybrid unit will be a standardised part
Cool.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 12:05 (Ref:3844957)   #17
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see any largish regulation change being coupled with a format tweak of some sort. Not support races as they organisers of those pay handsomely to TOCA to be on the bill. Maybe a return to two races instead of three, and a qualifying revamp.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 12:39 (Ref:3844962)   #18
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wouldn’t be surprised if a longer race like at Snetterton appears more often
Old 20 Aug 2018, 13:17 (Ref:3844969)   #19
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I would prefer more weekends of less races, and potentially 1 off endurance events returning.

Support series could do with a shakeup, Porsche and Formula 4 especially dont seem relevant, would rather they got something like Mini challenge or VW cup but I appreciate they would take up more paddock space
Old 20 Aug 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3844977)   #20
touring fan01
Veteran

this thread is about the future technical regulations.
Old 20 Aug 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3845026)   #21
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Personally I would prefer more weekends of less races, and potentially 1 off endurance events returning.
And are you going to pay for all the extra personnel costs, travel and hotel rooms to achieve that?

Quote:
Support series could do with a shakeup, Porsche and Formula 4 especially dont seem relevant, would rather they got something like Mini challenge or VW cup but I appreciate they would take up more paddock space
Support series don't have to be relevant (assuming your definition of relevant is "being a feeder series"). The Porsche Supercup is not relevant to Formula 1. Mazda MX5s aren't relevant to Indycar.

The BTCC is the biggest championship in the UK, and it should have the most prestigious series supporting it: Porsche and F4 are without question the most prestigious.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3845211)   #22
Redshift
Rookie

Redshift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
The BTCC is the biggest championship in the UK, and it should have the most prestigious series supporting it: Porsche and F4 are without question the most prestigious.
Couldn't it be argued that F3 is more prestigous that F4 given that it is the next step up the ladder?
Old 21 Aug 2018, 19:13 (Ref:3845260)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
No need for major changes.

Hybrid systems to keep it relevant for manufacturers.
Have a good look on changes that improve safety.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 09:06 (Ref:3845341)   #24
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FWD with a spec EV rear 'axle' would make for an interesting formula. Say 350hp petrol with another 100hp though the back wheels.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 13:49 (Ref:3845383)   #25
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
And are you going to pay for all the extra personnel costs, travel and hotel rooms to achieve that?
I'll pay the same towards that as others will pay towards their ideas mentioned on here as opposed to those given to Alan Gow as a serious proposition which demand a commercial assesment