Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 6 Jun 2008, 16:28 (Ref:2221396)   #1
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
suggestion for spring rate

Having ditched the rusty old xr2 I am now planning preparing my shiny 2001 Fiesta ZetecS for racing. However i'm a little unsure on what spring rates I should be using and don't fancy buying several different sets to test.

I used to use 280lb front and 800lb rear on the XR2 - is this a sensible rate on a slightly heavier modern fiesta?
Old 6 Jun 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2221519)   #2
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any half decent suspension unit manufacturer should be able to tell you what spring rates to run. If they can't tell you, don't deal with them.
Old 6 Jun 2008, 20:14 (Ref:2221530)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting front to rear rates,800 on the rear?
Old 6 Jun 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2221552)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
The fronts may be too soft, on our old XR2 we use 300lb on the front. Although you do want it to be oversteery 800lb rears may be a tad stiff. Try looking at Zetecinside.com for some useful tips.
Old 7 Jun 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2221758)   #5
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was talking to a suspension bloke the other day and he said it is not all about spring rates, the bump stops have to be perfectly matched to the spring rate for it all to work properly. It is an area I knew about as everyone knows what happens when the bump stops take over but did not know that it was possible to match the two to give good progression. You live and learn.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2228192)   #6
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is fine if you plan on running it on the bump stops, which is common in sedans because of the compromises they have, but it is not a goal in itself.
Koni sell a range, and it is not uncommon for people to mod them as well.

As for the first question, my gut would say the front is a little on the low side but since we do not have your front/rear weights for each car it is a bit academic. I presume you have struts all around on both cars. Still, contrary to fashion I always work to have as little spring as I can get away with.
Why don't you try and borrow some springs for testing, then commit once you know what you want.
What I did ion the past was select from a range of "cheap" springs and them bought some quality ones once I narrowed it down, you can make the range quite wide, 15% steps is fine and then plump for something close. Remember springs do not go off and come in handy later.

EDIT when I say they do not go off, I mean when they are not in the car, they do when you use them!
Old 14 Jun 2008, 10:27 (Ref:2228313)   #7
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Springs shouldn't go off noticably when you use them either, as long as you don't crush them too far. If you overstress them then, like all springs, they will lose some rate, but keep them within their design limits and they should last nearly forever.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2228964)   #8
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
done some searching and found the weight to be around 600kg front and 300kg rear. Would spring rates of 300lb front and 400lb rear sound sensible?
Old 15 Jun 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2229250)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Allan Staniforth (81 yesterday! Happy Birthday, Allan!) sets out in his "Sourcebook" how to calculate spring rates, using as the target the wheel frequency you want, depending on the application. He uses only the suspension dimensions and the sprung weight as the inputs, but it would be unfair to his method to try and precis it here. Buy yourself a copy of one of his books!

John
Old 15 Jun 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2229334)   #10
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dom- What are your suspension ratios, and what wheel rates/frequencies are you aiming at?
Old 15 Jun 2008, 15:30 (Ref:2229463)   #11
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
done some searching and found the weight to be around 600kg front and 300kg rear. Would spring rates of 300lb front and 400lb rear sound sensible?
Sounds about right,time for testing then.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 03:07 (Ref:2229818)   #12
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tristan if it is struts not enough to worry about 0.95 and the like. Also note I said cheap springs, I find the steel fatigues a lot quicker than the quality nickel chrome alloys.

300/400 seams like a reasonable place to start. Beg/borrow/steal a few options, but you will be fine with that (locked diff up front?) Get an ARB or two while you are at it.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 09:44 (Ref:2229932)   #13
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
thanks, the car will be racing in a standard class and the only thing that can be changed from oem is springs/damper to coilovers. It is macpherson struts allround with front rollbar but rear beam with no rollbar.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2229986)   #14
VT-R
Rookie

England
Yorkshire, England
VT-R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom
It is macpherson struts allround with front rollbar but rear beam with no rollbar.
Its not Mac strut all round if its got a rear beam.
Old 6 Jun 2009, 11:35 (Ref:2476457)   #15
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have "Driving Ambition" by Doug Nye, about the McLaren F1, it is in there pg 192. One of Gordon Murray's note pages is shown in detail, and it is so easy to follow, I taught myself, by that one page. And hey, the McLaren turned ok..
Old 6 Jun 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2476462)   #16
Y.N.M
Rookie

Y.N.M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my understanding, what tristancliff said is right, your better of knowing your wheel rates and deciding the spring rates from that.

Also I've heard that on a front wheel drive car like yours it can be a good idea to run a stiff rear so the rear tires can do more of the cornering work and leave the fronts to use more off their availible grip for putting the power down, (correct me if I'm wrong) so the rates you suggested look like you were heading in the right direction balance wise.

I'm an ameture in all this so forgive me if i'm wrong guys
Old 10 Jun 2009, 20:13 (Ref:2479585)   #17
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
thanks, the car will be racing in a standard class and the only thing that can be changed from oem is springs/damper to coilovers. It is macpherson struts allround with front rollbar but rear beam with no rollbar.
Are you allowed a rear ARB?

If so I would soften the rear springs to get a decent wheel rate (e.g. if the rear wheels carry half the weight of the front wheels, halve the front spring rate) and add a very stiff rear ARB. If you can't fit a rear ARB, throw away the front ARB and adjust the balance with the spring rates alone. The front ARB is only fitted to make the car 'safe' on the way to the shops..... With a front wheel drive car you want the front wheels on the track all the time - but it doesn't matter a jot if you lift a rear wheel.