Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Dec 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3787688)   #1
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
BRANDS HATCH MASTERS HF

Masters only UK meeting, on the Bank Holiday weekend. Saturday and Sunday only.
Old 21 May 2018, 08:32 (Ref:3823709)   #2
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list : http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...ry%20List.pdf/
Timetable : http://www.mastershistoricracing.com...sue%20ONE.PDF/

Thanks to DTM and their fences this meeting is no longer an option for me and my camera. Same goes for the SuperPrix.
Old 21 May 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3823778)   #3
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post

Thanks to DTM and their fences this meeting is no longer an option for me and my camera. Same goes for the SuperPrix.
I'm afraid you're right, I walked the GP circuit yesterday and the new fencing is absolutely horrendous. There is a 30 metre stretch on the exit of Hawthorns which is still camera friendly and a few spots on the other side on the approach to Hawthorns but beyond that I'm afraid it's like looking into a cage. I'll still be there for the weekend anyway as I have a season ticket but it's certainly lost the glamour unfortunately.
Old 21 May 2018, 19:43 (Ref:3823825)   #4
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
We’re testing Friday morning (pm session was fully booked so very early start....) and racing Saturday. Drivers briefing 0800, immediately into qualifying, then race early evening. Still, as a positive, the Dartford crossing will likely be free when I use it- both ways!
Old 21 May 2018, 20:20 (Ref:3823835)   #5
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope for your sake you guys get a result, the car looked great sweeping down through the Craner Curves until the retirement. Keith Ahlers pulled off on the inside of Redgate at the DHF, such a shame, the SLR is such a beautifully crafted car.
Old 22 May 2018, 07:00 (Ref:3823896)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the HF2 entry list, although I think they've gained another 3 or so entries since then.

https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...Entry-List.pdf
Old 25 May 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3824517)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Has anyone seen an entrylist for the Young Timers Touring cars? I'd be interested to see what's going to be there for that - as far as I can tell from their website they've got a full grid. Judging from previous meetings there should be some good stuff out
Old 25 May 2018, 11:01 (Ref:3824535)   #8
John Ogle-Skan
Rookie

John Ogle-Skan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Masters Historic - Youngtimer Touring Car challenge

Provisional Entry List can be seen by searching on Google the following -"Sorry FULLY BOOKED Hockenheim was Magic'
Old 25 May 2018, 11:49 (Ref:3824543)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ogle-Skan View Post
Provisional Entry List can be seen by searching on Google the following -"Sorry FULLY BOOKED Hockenheim was Magic'
Excellent - thank you

Looks like a nice grid of cars - looking forward to seeing that!
Old 25 May 2018, 13:22 (Ref:3824563)   #10
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
Complete list here: http://www.msvracing.com/media/3181/...ntry-lists.pdf
Real mixed bag in the Youngtimer Touring Car challenge, could be quite entertaining!
Old 27 May 2018, 07:11 (Ref:3824865)   #11
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just a quick one from me, had a cracking day at Brands Hatch for the FIA Masters Historic with everying from Pre-63 GT's up to 2012 LMP1's. The 908X LPM1's are just from another planet, they are nuts. Great to see all drivers walking away from 2 fairly big shunts during the day, maybe Donington would be a better place to hold the meeting next year? Any way here my vid from the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ZnEl1H1hw
Old 27 May 2018, 08:26 (Ref:3824874)   #12
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just a quick one from me, had a cracking day at Brands Hatch for the FIA Masters Historic with everying from Pre-63 GT's up to 2012 LMP1's. The 908X LPM1's are just from another planet, they are nuts. Great to see all drivers walking away from 2 fairly big shunts during the day, maybe Donington would be a better place to hold the meeting next year? Any way here my vid from the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ZnEl1H1hw
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Is the angle from the back of the garages in a public area ?
Old 27 May 2018, 09:34 (Ref:3824889)   #13
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Is the angle from the back of the garages in a public area ?
Hey brands, yep that it is. Was lovely and relaxed there yesterday so could have a good look around with no problems.
Old 27 May 2018, 20:56 (Ref:3825101)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by justracing View Post
Real mixed bag in the Youngtimer Touring Car challenge, could be quite entertaining!
Understatement! How good was that? A real mixed bag of cars and cracking fun to watch. Really enjoyed that.

And as mentioned above - those 908s - wow. Just wow. 1:18 on the GP loop is shifting some. Also how good does a Judd V10 sound at full chat? Awesome.
Old 28 May 2018, 09:43 (Ref:3825186)   #15
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
I was lucky enough to be there all weekend watching some beautifully prepared machinery capped off with the ridiculous Dodge Charger spitting flame and shaking the ground on every lap. Such a shame that the best viewing spots on the GP loop are now caged off.
Such a shame to see that super Abarth Osella pull off with what I assume was gear linkage failure. Something obviously broke as he was changing down going into Graham Hill bend, I saw something fly off from the underside of the car.
The 2 litre sports prototypes, Lolas, Chevrons against the V8 muscle cars is always a delight to see, some of the prettiest cars ever made in my opinion.
Great weekend, superb machinery and the rain held off!
Old 28 May 2018, 18:38 (Ref:3825316)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Surprised no one has mentioned the little ‘Trabbies’ in the Youngtimer race. Complete with two-stroke howl.......

Up at 3am Friday to make Brands for morning testing, which at least meant got a clear run- apart from the A11 being closed between home and Snetterton for ‘overnight roadworks’! Peeing down with rain and no sensible diversions......

Anyway, the two sessions went to plan, so we bedded, scrubbed and learnt something. Plus only one (short) red flag!

Early start again for Qualifying Saturday. Overnight rain had left the circuit damp, and as we were first on track, it took the whole 40 minutes for a dry line to appear. All good with the car though. 90 minute race was scheduled for 1650 start, but delays during the afternoon had us expecting it to be shortened. (Curfew.) MSVR did a good job of catching up some time though, and eventually we only lost a couple of minutes racing. Our race was spoiled, unfortunately,on the first lap, when I got side swiped and punted into a car the other side of me. Result, both sides of car damaged, and steering wheel now off centre by 45 deg.... After pitting, we managed to pull the rear wing off the tyre, and did the rest of the race with wonky steering wheel. Shame, but at least the engine ran perfectly at last!

Now pressure is on to get car repaired enough for Silverstone GTSCC in 3 weeks....
Old 28 May 2018, 22:54 (Ref:3825348)   #17
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Surprised no one has mentioned the little ‘Trabbies’ in the Youngtimer race. Complete with two-stroke howl.......

Up at 3am Friday to make Brands for morning testing, which at least meant got a clear run- apart from the A11 being closed between home and Snetterton for ‘overnight roadworks’! Peeing down with rain and no sensible diversions......

Anyway, the two sessions went to plan, so we bedded, scrubbed and learnt something. Plus only one (short) red flag!

Early start again for Qualifying Saturday. Overnight rain had left the circuit damp, and as we were first on track, it took the whole 40 minutes for a dry line to appear. All good with the car though. 90 minute race was scheduled for 1650 start, but delays during the afternoon had us expecting it to be shortened. (Curfew.) MSVR did a good job of catching up some time though, and eventually we only lost a couple of minutes racing. Our race was spoiled, unfortunately,on the first lap, when I got side swiped and punted into a car the other side of me. Result, both sides of car damaged, and steering wheel now off centre by 45 deg.... After pitting, we managed to pull the rear wing off the tyre, and did the rest of the race with wonky steering wheel. Shame, but at least the engine ran perfectly at last!

Now pressure is on to get car repaired enough for Silverstone GTSCC in 3 weeks....

I thought the Trabants must have been some sort of demo or some German kids making it out on track having seen the video of the VW debacle a few years back.

Are you sure they were Trabants? geordies video lacked the usual trailing plume of oil smoke.

So what is it about Tenthers getting taken out this year with attacks to both sides?

James at Donington, now you at Brands. I sort of recall a couple of others too. Delta at Monaco, obviously, but for slightly different reasons on one side.
Old 29 May 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3825500)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Our race was spoiled, unfortunately,on the first lap, when I got side swiped and punted into a car the other side of me. Result, both sides of car damaged, and steering wheel now off centre by 45 deg.... After pitting, we managed to pull the rear wing off the tyre, and did the rest of the race with wonky steering wheel. Shame, but at least the engine ran perfectly at last!

I feel your pain! Glad the engine ran well though.
Old 29 May 2018, 18:42 (Ref:3825511)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Yes Peter, I thought of you and the Goodwood incident after getting home. Another tenther to add to GP’s list above.....

Good news is that the mechanical damage is sorted, thanks to Brands Hatch Morgan. Bent pin on the drop arm TRE moved the steering wheel position but didn’t affect geometry. That’s why car still went straight! The right kingpin was also slightly bent, but that can happen hitting a sausage kerb too hard, anyway......

The favoured body repairers are confident that they can get the panels straight again for Silverstone in 2.5 weeks, so looking positive.
Old 29 May 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3825515)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post

Peter, my apologies. I knew there was someone else to mention but it's a few weeks ago now and long term memory is not what it was ....

An age thing - or at least that's my excuse.
Old 29 May 2018, 19:08 (Ref:3825516)   #21
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Yes Peter, I thought of you and the Goodwood incident after getting home. Another tenther to add to GP’s list above.....

Good news is that the mechanical damage is sorted, thanks to Brands Hatch Morgan. Bent pin on the drop arm TRE moved the steering wheel position but didn’t affect geometry. That’s why car still went straight! The right kingpin was also slightly bent, but that can happen hitting a sausage kerb too hard, anyway......

The favoured body repairers are confident that they can get the panels straight again for Silverstone in 2.5 weeks, so looking positive.

Plenty of paintless dent repair people on You Tube Mike. You can probably find one who can fix it for about £40.
Old 29 May 2018, 20:05 (Ref:3825541)   #22
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Plenty of paintless dent repair people on You Tube Mike. You can probably find one who can fix it for about £40.
I thought of asking the ‘Chips Away’ guys on the local industrial estate...

In seriousness, most of the aluminium body on that particular SLR is original, so is likely getting a bit fragile. (When I say ‘original’, that’s after the Goodwood testing accident when new that required the car to be completely rebuilt...)
Old 31 May 2018, 06:43 (Ref:3825798)   #23
Finbin
Rookie

England
Ashford
Finbin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were some very different cars out in the Oldtimers races, most very well turned out.
The Trabants were a surprise to see, on Friday I spoke to the guy, who drove the red one, he had made fully adjustable bottom arms and it was very low to the ground, he had in the past driven to East Germany to pick up engine parts from the old factory, the preparation look good, but still only had 55bhp.
I can’t remember the last time I saw a Mazda RX3 race, I’m not old enough to remember them in the British touring cars, but do remember seeing some production cars races at Brands with RX3 in. The noise was nice and loud and it wasn’t too slow either.
I did like the writing on the air filter of the big Dodge, same it took the 635 out at Druids on the first lap🙁
Attached Thumbnails
D4ABD19F-DEFC-4E9D-843F-8252E5691D62.jpeg   C5562661-1DFF-4991-9674-BE7250B0B7B7.jpeg   1C929385-3CA1-41CB-9599-AEF4B076D731.jpeg  

6149F9AA-7536-4388-A35F-15EC6AD00A22.jpeg  
Old 31 May 2018, 11:32 (Ref:3825850)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbin View Post
There were some very different cars out in the Oldtimers races, most very well turned out.
The Trabants were a surprise to see, on Friday I spoke to the guy, who drove the red one, he had made fully adjustable bottom arms and it was very low to the ground, he had in the past driven to East Germany to pick up engine parts from the old factory, the preparation look good, but still only had 55bhp.
I can’t remember the last time I saw a Mazda RX3 race, I’m not old enough to remember them in the British touring cars, but do remember seeing some production cars races at Brands with RX3 in. The noise was nice and loud and it wasn’t too slow either.
I did like the writing on the air filter of the big Dodge, same it took the 635 out at Druids on the first lap🙁
Thanks for the Trabbie pics! The Mazda RX3 did sound good, as did the Judd V10 in Endurance Legends. Last heard one of those at Dijon in the GpC Lola T92/10 that Michael Lyons raced for a bit. What a noise.....
Old 31 May 2018, 12:13 (Ref:3825861)   #25
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finbin View Post
Great wasn't it? I think 'eclectic' just about covers it! 0.6 litre Trabant through to 9.4 litre Challenger. Mazda RX3, Volvo 340! Saab, Holden Commodore, Datsun 240Z, assorted BMWs Porsches and some indecently quick Escorts. What's not to like?
Attached Thumbnails
d1.JPG   d2.JPG   d3.jpg  

d4.jpg