Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jan 2021, 12:33 (Ref:4031836)   #526
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fresh news: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens...torm-1.5892153
Sometimes people remember they are people and there are people.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 13:14 (Ref:4031850)   #527
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
skint after Christmas, and wet enough after to December ?

Nope just never felt the need to drink, especially with the pubs closed
Old 29 Jan 2021, 13:22 (Ref:4031851)   #528
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So how's everyone's Dry January going? I made it 27 days, before finally having my first drink of 2021 last night
We are still going until next weekend. The extra few days is because we had a planned break of one night on our wedding anniversary.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 16:18 (Ref:4031872)   #529
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have stopped drinking on week nights. I don't normally notice a problem, but last night something got on top of me and I lapsed. Couple of glasses of plonk.

But it's Friday! Tin of 6X beckons What's that you say? Friday is a weekday? Pshaw, not in the Maxian Calendar.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Jan 2021, 17:06 (Ref:4031883)   #530
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Likewise, I only drink at weekends. In the middle east where I spent many years the weekend starts on Thursday evening and finishes on Friday night, when the European weekend starts. Convenient or coincidence?
Old 29 Jan 2021, 17:12 (Ref:4031885)   #531
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Since drinking alcohol is pretty much a no no in the Middle East, it probably is just a coincidence
Old 29 Jan 2021, 17:15 (Ref:4031886)   #532
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
we had our Oxford AZ vaccinations today :-)
Please sir can I go racing? Anywhere?
Rallies now being cancelled that were planned for mid June!

I think that’s because they were closed road events that required planning effort from local authorities now (road closure plans etc) and their staff are too busy at the moment. Race meetings should be easier to get the go ahead.
However, all the indications seem to be that we are going to be in lockdown until mid March so CSCC at the end of March at Snetterton may be one of the first.

Anecdotal evidence around this way also seems to suggest that people seem to think that once they have been vaccinated they don’t need to comply with the lock down rules. But, as I understand it, whether vaccinated or not and until told other wise, we are all still supposed to social distance, wear masks, wash hands, work from home unless impossible not to and not make any journeys that are not essential.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4031888)   #533
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Since drinking alcohol is pretty much a no no in the Middle East, it probably is just a coincidence
Actually no. The only country to impose a non alcohol rule is Saudi, where I have never worked. Everywhere else where I have been including Qatar and the UAE (excluding Sharjah where I drove through) permits alcohol consumption with a licence.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4031891)   #534
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

Anecdotal evidence around this way also seems to suggest that people seem to think that once they have been vaccinated they don’t need to comply with the lock down rules. But, as I understand it, whether vaccinated or not and until told other wise, we are all still supposed to social distance, wear masks, wash hands, work from home unless impossible not to and not make any journeys that are not essential.
As far as I understand it, in some people the vaccine only reduces the severity of the illness, and there is no information on whether it prevents transmission. Therefore the masks and social distancing are going to be with us for a long while yet.

Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:01 (Ref:4031896)   #535
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
As far as I understand it, in some people the vaccine only reduces the severity of the illness, and there is no information on whether it prevents transmission. Therefore the masks and social distancing are going to be with us for a long while yet.
Agreed, and the hospitality/ holiday sector is going to take a long time to recover.

Don’t think I am due a vaccination until April but even after that I have no desire to go back to working in offices, and certainly not travelling by tube. In my line of work, working remotely has largely worked fine.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:25 (Ref:4031898)   #536
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Actually no. The only country to impose a non alcohol rule is Saudi, where I have never worked. Everywhere else where I have been including Qatar and the UAE (excluding Sharjah where I drove through) permits alcohol consumption with a licence.

What about Bahrain? They don’t spray champagne or at least didn’t when F1 went there
Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4031901)   #537
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
What about Bahrain? They don’t spray champagne or at least didn’t when F1 went there
Wet. Wetest of wet things in a wet place. Abu Dhabi? Some fantastic bars and restaurants, likewise Dubai. Qatar is a little more conservative but you can still buy "liquor" as they call it, with a licence.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:45 (Ref:4031903)   #538
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I don’t think people understand that for many years the price of booze was lower in Dubai/Abu Dhabi than Europe. At one point it was better to pay people in Fosters vouchers!
Qatar and Oman were a bit tougher.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 18:56 (Ref:4031905)   #539
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Not to mention Sadiqui in Saudi.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 19:17 (Ref:4031910)   #540
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Saudi was A&E’s major export market twenty years ago .
They were the Middle East’s major booze sellers.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4031919)   #541
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
People and their priorities!
Old 29 Jan 2021, 19:55 (Ref:4031920)   #542
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
🥂🥃🍻🍺🍹🍸🍾🍷
Old 29 Jan 2021, 19:58 (Ref:4031921)   #543
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
People and their priorities!
I think it's what they call Lockdown Boredom, Bob! Just think of what they would be talking about otherwise!

Are you relieved you didn't get the AstroZeneca jab now we know(!) it's not safe for over 65's??

You've probably heard the EU has completely screwed-up it's vaccine supply, so unless it manages to steal some from the UK, we'll be a long time waiting whilst they busily blame everyone else. Useless mob...
Old 29 Jan 2021, 20:15 (Ref:4031924)   #544
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nighty, night.
Attached Thumbnails
How_to_make_the_perfect_cup_of_tea_22886_preview-1024x683.jpg   R272fe3d604d2077cfe2e3b563da03fa8.jpg   R9a5a2ac6742b6da44aa097228d2c0388.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 29 Jan 2021, 20:16 (Ref:4031925)   #545
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Are you relieved you didn't get the AstroZeneca jab now we know(!) it's not safe for over 65's??

Surely it's only your poor excuse for a President, Macron, who says that; not the scientists?
Old 29 Jan 2021, 20:51 (Ref:4031932)   #546
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Surely it's only your poor excuse for a President, Macron, who says that; not the scientists?
Our miserable little president doesn't say anything much these days - not sure he even exists!

Have you not seen the rumpus that's going on? It's some German non-entity who claims AstraZeneca is not safe for over 65's.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 21:04 (Ref:4031934)   #547
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Alcohol is not banned - but advertising of alcohol is.

Waard have the advertising rights for their rosewater drink instead.
Old 29 Jan 2021, 21:30 (Ref:4031939)   #548
midgetman
Veteran

Quote:
Our miserable little president doesn't say anything much these days - not sure he even exists!

Have you not seen the rumpus that's going on? It's some German non-entity who claims AstraZeneca is not safe for over 65's.
That was a misrepresentation. Apparently only 8% of the pre-release tests were on over 65s and the German newspapers took it to be only an 8% protection rate. The German regulators simply said that there wasn't enough data to confirm its efficacy.

This was plenty to start up the Boris Hater Bandwagon on Twitter! Accusations of "pensioner murder" and "rushed through for political reasons" abounded. I'm no Boris Lover, but that's such tosh.

Old 29 Jan 2021, 22:58 (Ref:4031953)   #549
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think it's what they call Lockdown Boredom, Bob! Just think of what they would be talking about otherwise!

You've probably heard the EU has completely screwed-up it's vaccine supply, so unless it manages to steal some from the UK, we'll be a long time waiting whilst they busily blame everyone else. Useless mob...
UvdL being of German parentage should know the rules - we had our towel on the beach 3 months before them
Old 30 Jan 2021, 06:25 (Ref:4031970)   #550
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
UvdL being of German parentage should know the rules - we had our towel on the beach 3 months before them
She would probably have forgotten to take her towel, so would have to steal somebody else's!
Closed Thread