Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 25 Oct 2000, 11:12 (Ref:44670)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They're boxy, but they're good. The tag line for a spoof VOLVO ad campaign in a feature film. For the life of me, I can't remember a real Volvo advert, but the line says it all. Perfect advertising.

What are the car ads that stand out most for you? From all of our various nations, there must be some crackers.

And does it have any effect on you? Are you convinced that "Happiness is Mini Shaped", or are you sure that "You Can Do It In An MG".

Some of my favourites:

"I bought my Datsun out of wedlock"

For the (new) convertible Triumph TR7 "with added headroom - 93 million miles"

An economy edition Citroen with safety suspension "It's cut the cost of living"

And of course, sometimes advertisers just don't think things through. Their carefully prepared ad campaigns are corrupted by the general public. Fiat were the worst.

The Fiat Strada/Ritmo "Designed by Computers, Built by Robots" was inevitably corrupted with the addition "Driven by Italians".

And the Fiat Mirafiori poster which proclaimed "If this car was a lady, it would get its bottom pinched". The graffiti which appeared beneath the text added "... and if this lady was a car, she'd run over an ad-man."

Any more gems out there?
Old 25 Oct 2000, 12:07 (Ref:44699)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nothing overly spectacular comes to mind from Australian advertising apart from the shockingly bad ads for the "new" Toyota Avalon. But I can think of one for Holden.

Their usual bit is:
Holden Commodore - Drive On
My new one is:
Holden Suburban - Drive Over
Old 25 Oct 2000, 14:15 (Ref:44722)   #3
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like you Tim, the one I remember most was not a real ad. The National Lampoon magazine ran a satirical ad for Volkswagen, it showed a VW bug floating in water (they were known for their ability to float, like Ivory soap). The tag line was: If Ted Kennedy had been driving a Volkwagen, he'd be President today.

This was in reference to the fact that his involvement in the drowning of his "companion" in an auto accident ruined his chance at being Prez.
Old 25 Oct 2000, 19:06 (Ref:44764)   #4
Chris Y
Nature's servant
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
I always liked 'Minis have feelings too'
Old 25 Oct 2000, 20:13 (Ref:44771)   #5
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Good man, Chris! That's one of the best! (plus there's no Legends in it!)

I like most car ads...

...just as long as the names 'Papa ' and 'Nicole' aren't involved.
Old 25 Oct 2000, 20:53 (Ref:44780)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's the old

"you meet the nicest people on a Honda"

As an ex owner of a Harley Davidson, perhaps

"you meet plenty of ............ on a Harley"
Old 4 Nov 2000, 23:57 (Ref:46738)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Charger!
Old 5 Nov 2000, 00:05 (Ref:46740)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going back a ways, how about "See the USA in your Chevrolet?" And later on of course, "Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie and Chevrolet."

Since we were not Chevy people, though, that never inspired us much.

When my Uncle Doug worked at the local Ford Plant, Ford had a brief ad campaign "First On Race Day." He said it should have been "Fix Or Repair Daily."
Old 5 Nov 2000, 05:35 (Ref:46769)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah! Acronyms.

My favourite has to be LOTUS.

Loads Of Trouble, Usually Serious.
Old 5 Nov 2000, 12:27 (Ref:46806)   #10
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Found On Rubbish Dump or Full Of Rust & Dirt.

Liz, In the '70s we had a popular TV ad campaign for Holden, GM's Australian division, "Football, meat pies, Kangaroos and Holden cars." Original, huh?
Old 5 Nov 2000, 13:42 (Ref:46817)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee, did anyone in Britain come up with one of those "All [your nationality here]" ad campaigns?

Advertising: One good idea and 99 pieces of carbon paper. If you're old enough to remember carbon paper.

The saddest campaign was the one Chrysler came up with when the U.S. government was bailing them out of the consequences of arrogance: "Buy what America Builds."