Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Feb 2008, 11:53 (Ref:2139138)   #1
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMRC Round 1 Wakefield Park 1-2 march

I am a little late with this thread, but here it is.
There are 6 categories racing this weekend in the opening round of the new season.
  • ProtoSports
  • Super TT
  • PCC
  • OZ BOSS
  • Thunder Sports
  • Australian Touring Cars
News.

AMRC
link
Quote:
Kumho Comes to Grips with the 2008 Bob Jane T-Marts AMRC
Kumho Tyres has joined forces with a number of the 2008 Bob Jane T-Marts Australian Motor Racing Championships (AMRC) categories for a new season of affordable, competitive and highly enjoyable motor racing.
and
Quote:
Recognising the Unsung Heroes
From its very first days as the AMRS, the Australian Motor Racing Championships has been about innovation and pioneering new paths in Australian Motorsport. And in 2008, the tradition continues - the latest development is about recognising the often overlooked efforts of the officials that make our events possible.
Every race meeting has an army of officials working behind the scenes, working in race control, working on the circuit, manning flagpoints and recovery vehicles, driving the course car, and keeping things in order in pitlane. Without these hardworking, and for the most part volunteer, people, there could be no racing.
Quite frequently, drivers will thank the officials when accepting awards, and give them a wave on the slow down lap, but now, in 2008, the AMRC, in conjunction with V8RACE Experience and QR Raceway RACE Experience, officials at Australian Motor Racing Championships events will have the chance to enjoy one of the fantastic experiences on offer from V8RACE Experience and QR Raceway RACE Experience.
ProtoSports
link
Quote:
New Car, New Driver for ProtoSports
Followers of ProtoSports in the previous incarnation within the Thunder Sports category will be familiar with the Saker make of sports car, with John Biddlecombe's example racing during 2007. In 2008 though, a different variant of Saker will join the field, with the open-top version making its debut in the hands of new driver to the series - Michael Gibson.
Oz BOSS
link
Quote:
New Addition to Oz BOSS Ranks
An exciting new addition to the Oz BOSS ranks is the IndyCar of Matt "Kangaroo Kid" Coulter.
Coulter has had an ex-Eddie Cheever 2002 IndyCar in his possession for several years, but has been lacking a couple of key components he had been having difficulty getting his hands on. He's managed to remedy that situation though, by purchasing a whole new car!
Looks like a great weekend of racing with completely new cars.
I will post more news as I get it.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2139141)   #2
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
did you leave the pirelli series off? it has this weekend listed as its opening round
Old 27 Feb 2008, 14:52 (Ref:2139306)   #3
ozmotorsport
Rookie

ozmotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
all goin well, oz boss will grow by 2 for the next round
look out for "Dingo Dan" and "the Kangaroo Kid" and some tumbling outright lap records!
Old 28 Feb 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2139931)   #4
nafe!
Racer

nafe! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone confirm for certain that the Indy car is going to be there this w'e? Its almost worth going to see it alone
Old 28 Feb 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2139936)   #5
SamDale
Racer

SamDale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafe!
Can anyone confirm for certain that the Indy car is going to be there this w'e?
Unfortunately the IndyCar won't be at Wakefield for this round.

It should be very close to being ready though, and will be an outstanding addition to the Oz BOSS ranks.

When I get news of when it's due to debut, I'll make sure I remember to post it here (as well as on the official site).

Plenty of other great cars at the round though.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the new surface!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
did you leave the pirelli series off?
Yes, the Pirelli Gran Turismo Championship will have their debut at Wakefield.

Last edited by SamDale; 28 Feb 2008 at 08:42. Reason: Answering Pirelli question
Old 28 Feb 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2139950)   #6
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
did you leave the pirelli series off? it has this weekend listed as its opening round
Well spotted, the AMRC calendar (here) only list 6 categories but the schedule (here PDF) has the Pirelli Gran Turismo in it.
So for everyone playing at home the Pirelli Gran Turismo Championship ™ is racing this weekend.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 09:06 (Ref:2139953)   #7
nafe!
Racer

Thanks for the reply, lets hope the its introduction brings some other cars out of there garages.

Oz, what sort of vehicle is dingodan going to be fielding?

Good to hear the pirelli championship will also be there, ill definately be trying to make it on sunday.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2139957)   #8
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
D'oh you beat me to it Sam.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 12:40 (Ref:2140070)   #9
ozmotorsport
Rookie

There are 2 IRL Indycars presently being prepared
Old 28 Feb 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2140172)   #10
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
Here is some news and previews.

News.

PCC
link
Quote:
Is it a Bird? Is it a Plane?
No, it's John Willmington!
Willmington, who made his first appearance in the Australian Motor Racing Series last year, has secured support for 2008, to make his assault on the Division C title of the newly formed AASA Production Car Championship as strong as possible. Willmington's support comes from a brand new product - Super Diesel.
Super TT
link
Quote:
Carson Fired Up for 2008 Super TT Championship
WPR Racing’s Gary Carson returns to Wakefield Park Raceway, Goulburn this weekend to start the 2008 Australian Motor Racing Championships.
"It was this time last year that I had butterflies in my stomach ready to start my first year of racing and we packed up the Ute and unloaded it at Wakefield; I jumped in and did 3 laps in practice and BANG! There goes the engine! After that the Ute went back in truck we drove back home and started focusing on round 2. It was definitely a tough introduction to racing but I became more determined and we finished up having a great season” admitted Gary.
Previews.

ATCC
link
Quote:
The 2008 AASA Australian Touring Car Championship heads to Goulburn's Wakefield Park, and sees the introduction of a brand new category.
The V8 Giants are familiar from the 2007 Championship - V8-powered touring cars from a range of manufacturers, with a range of allowed engine configurations/capacities, and accompanying weight limits. The majority of the field is ex-V8 Supercars, and ex-Future Tourers. In the V8 Giants class, Darren Saillard (in his 5-litre Falcon), John Vergotis (also in a 5-litre Falcon), Philip Groeneveld (in a slightly lower-spec ex-Future Tourer V8 Commodore) and Gary Leaton (driving a 5.7-litre Monaro) are expected to be the main challengers. This year though, they won't have it all their own way. The Giant Killers are here, and planning to make the V8 Giants work for every result. Leading Giant Killer for Round One is Sean Holmes, in a Subaru WRX.
PCC
link
Quote:
Round One of the brand new AASA Production Car Championship will burst into life at Goulburn's Wakefield Park circuit this weekend.
The PCC will feature near-showroom standard Production Cars, in hard fought on track action - ultimately showing which is the best performing manufacturer. And the manufacturers are well represented, with no less than NINE manufacturers fighting it out at the opening round - Toyota, Renault, Ford, Nissan, Proton, Hyundai, BMW, Mazda and Mitsubishi.
The new surface at Wakefield Park, and the number of new drivers and cars makes picking a winner just about impossible - the action is sure to be frenetic, and looking at the field, there are a plethora of potential winners.
Oz BOSS
link
Quote:
Round One of the 2008 Oz BOSS Championship is nearly here, and even before the cars hit Goulburn's Wakefield Park layout, the competition is looking fierce.
Defending champion, Ty Hanger will be the man to beat, but will be aboard his RALT RT4 Formula Atlantic (rather than his Reynard 95D F3000V6 mount). Taking the fight to Hanger will be Bob Muir, in his Lexus V8-powered Reynard 94D, and Sam Dale in his slightly less powerful F3000V6-spec Reynard 94D. The newly resurfaced circuit is an unknown quantity, but it is expected that the removal of some of the bumps will help the more stiffly sprung F3000V6 cars, more than it will help the more softly sprung Formula Atlantics (which already did a pretty good job of riding the bumps). Chris Farrell should make a strong showing in his 2001 Swift 014a Formula Atlantic, as it features a stiffer setup similar to the F3000V6 cars.
The Formula R ranks are continuing to grow, with a number of ex Formula 3 cars coming online, as well as plenty of ex F2 cars
Thunder Sports
link
Quote:
The 2008 Thunder Sports Championship is about to roar into life at Goulburn's Wakefield Park circuit.
Unless there are plans for some kind of last minute sneak attack, it appears that the field will be totally comprised of Future Racers. It was initially though the brand new Zedtec would debut at this round, but the finishing touches are still being put on the cars, and they will not quite be ready in time for the weekend.
The action should be spectacular nonetheless, as the Future Racers proved in 2007, some of their best races were when they had the chance to race on their own. The field is a strong one, with 2007 2nd and 3rd placegetters both making an appearance. Jade Barnes wound up second in 2007, and will be looking to go one better in 2008, and the perfect time to stamp his authority is right at the start - look out for a strong performance from Jade. And of course, third place man in 2007, Kerran Dal-Maso is never happy with anything other than first place.
ProtoSports
link
Quote:
As the 2008 ProtoSports Championship is about to get underway, four different manufacturers are preparing to do battle at Goulburn's newly resurfaced Wakefield Park layout.
The strongest representation will be from 2007 Thunder Sports champions, West, with three of the high-tech rocketships set to do battle. Missing from the lineup will be Tom Drewer, but hoping to follow in his tyre tracks will be: Bruce Burchett, Greg Steer (owner of WEST Race Cars Australia) and newcomer Mark Laucke, only one can take the honours, but the battle is bound to be intense.
Representing the Saker marque will be John Biddlecombe, hoping for a strong showing. He won't be joined by Michael Gibson just yet, as his car is still getting some finishing touches. And father and son duo, Rick and Shane Otten will be battling it out, with Rick driving a Radical, and Shane pedaling his Prosport.
If you need more news then that, you need help like the help that I seriously need. lol
Old 1 Mar 2008, 05:33 (Ref:2141335)   #11
wishbone
Racer

wishbone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gee they have excelled again,

TCC 6 cars....
GT 5 Cars
PCC 8 Cars

All 3 were a lot stronger last year....

they should put this series down...

sorry but we keep hearing how BIG this series is but by my count 58 cars, morgan park has double the entries.....
Old 1 Mar 2008, 06:44 (Ref:2141341)   #12
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many expected for OzBoss (and then we can have the number that actually turned up)
Old 1 Mar 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2141364)   #13
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
How many expected for OzBoss (and then we can have the number that actually turned up)
They were combined with the Prototype sports. By my count there were 7 Open Wheelers, none of whom were the ex-IRL cars.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2141489)   #14
rms
Rookie

rms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmookeyj033
They were combined with the Prototype sports. By my count there were 7 Open Wheelers, none of whom were the ex-IRL cars.
Where did you learn to count ?
Try 10, with 6 Proto-sports.
Old 1 Mar 2008, 16:38 (Ref:2141597)   #15
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
Even more news!

PCC
link
Quote:
Debutant Takes Pole
New driver Clark Stott has taken pole position for tomorrows first AASA Production Car Championship race. Stott will be driving his brand new Mazda 3 MPS, and will lead the Hyundai Sonata of Daniel Flanagan (a Division C car on the front row!) and Anthony Soole's brand new Toyota Celica. Newcomer Jeremy Gray suffered a blown engine in his AU XR8 Falcon and will start from the rear of the grid with a spare engine fitted. His car showed good pace early and is expected to make a thrilling attempt at getting through the field.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 01:48 (Ref:2141917)   #16
ozmotorsport
Rookie

Quote:
the Indy cars were not entered and there has never been any intention to run this round as the cars arent ready as yet!
Old 2 Mar 2008, 02:36 (Ref:2141934)   #17
nafe!
Racer

Hope todays racing was entertaining, i checked the fields on natsoft last night and decided not to go. Somehow you guys have to find a way to ensure competitors attend the entire series, i wont spent my money to watch 5 car fields. Pity cos i love watching racing at wakefield.
Old 2 Mar 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2141970)   #18
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rms
Where did you learn to count ?
Try 10, with 6 Proto-sports.
One of my eyes is1 infected, but normally they have some sort of abbreviation on NATSOFT to make it a lot easier.
Old 3 Mar 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2142839)   #19
wishbone
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmotorsport
the Indy cars were not entered and there has never been any intention to run this round as the cars arent ready as yet!
They have been talking up these indy cars for 12 months now, i doubt we will ever see them, where is the Ferrari F1 car? that was promoted early last year.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2144493)   #20
Matthew Ronke
Veteran

Australia
NSW
Matthew Ronke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone
gee they have excelled again,

TCC 6 cars....
GT 5 Cars
PCC 8 Cars

All 3 were a lot stronger last year....

they should put this series down...

sorry but we keep hearing how BIG this series is but by my count 58 cars, morgan park has double the entries.....
And People said that about OZboss 18 months ago. the OZBoss and Prosports are a very reasonable category now and more cars are being put together and there were too late withdrawals and Chris Farrell was unabale too make the round.

All 3 categories you mentioned have undergone a complete revamp and are expected too move forward. There were actually 90 entries which was about expectations for the opening round. The disappointing thing was that a third of them withdrew mainly because of car preparation issues. a couple of good news announcements are expected in the next week or so that will give the series a bit more of a kick along.

Also the first edition of the new AMC magazine was launched at Wakefield. Looks Good. I think you can subscribe for $5 a issue at www.amcclub.com.au and I think they will be available from Bob Jane T-marts stores.
Old 4 Mar 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2144500)   #21
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the ATCC and PCC going to see an improvement in the ages of the cars? I mean apart from one listed car (a 2007 model) they are all 2000/2001 sourced cars - hardly a good sign for a new championship trying to attract competitors. (How old is the Magna btw?)
Old 6 Mar 2008, 03:22 (Ref:2145358)   #22
wishbone
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ronke
And People said that about OZboss 18 months ago. the OZBoss and Prosports are a very reasonable category
But OZ Boss was for open wheelers? loose the open wheelers and the Prosports was and still is something good....

Quote:
All 3 categories you mentioned have undergone a complete revamp and are expected too move forward.
Why complete revamps??
Production cars was growing.
GTs were growing
TCC underwent a revamp last year with V8 Giants which failed. and was starting to build again.

Quote:
There were actually 90 entries which was about expectations for the opening round.The disappointing thing was that a third of them withdrew mainly because of car preparation issues.
"my car is not ready" is the oldest line in the book.

And to quote you HAD 90 entries when there was only 58, sound like you are using the v8 crowd calculator.

The next round will be very interesting, last year Calder had less than 50 entries about half that of round 1, lets hope the formula doesn't repeat this year.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 03:32 (Ref:2145362)   #23
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Production Cars at one stage looked like cracking 20 entries, they were really booming. To seem them drop back below 10 is hopefully only a minor glitch.