Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Apr 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2182031)   #1
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pro's Hamilton review!

i thought i would do this for each round hopfully it's a good read and you guys like it, tell me what you think anf if you think i should continue it.

Thousands of New Zealands diehard race fans turned out for the first running of the Hamilton 400, they witnessed Garth Tander clean sweep all 3 races to recieve the Mark Porter trophey. Jamie Whincup lead the way on Friday in practice with a few suprises just behind him in young Kiwi Shane Van Gisbergan in 3rd and leading Kiwi, Garry Rogers Motorsport young gun Micheal Caruso also suprised with the 5th fastest time, another to suprise was another young Kiwi Fabian Coulthard setting the 10th fastest time in the Glenfords Falcon. Will Davisons big crash in practice coliding with a concrete wall ended his day early and left the DJR crew with an all night repair job on the #18 Falcon.

Saturday rolled around and Qualifying was on the schedule, with some patchy rain it left teams guessing and it caught some of the big boys out with Craig Lowndes knocked out in the first session, it was the start of a horror qualifying for 888 with Jamie Whincup put out for the whole weekend after a colision with Todd Kelly sent the #88 into the concrete walls shortening the car by a few foot, thankfully Jamie was unhurt but the same could not have been said for his car. Steven Richards put the #6 Castrol FPR Falcon on pole for the first race, the surprises continued in qualifying with Caruso continuing his good run with 8th giveing GRM 2 cars in the top 10, Coulthard found himself in 10th again continuing his good run also. The boys grided up for the first race of the Hamilton circuit and there was kaos as soon as the the first trun with Michel Caruso pushing Mark Skaife into the back of Kiwi favourite Greg Murphy, their was further kaos at turn 2 with Russell in gall trying a move down the inside that didn't work with a fair few cars involved it blocked the track although most could continue the race once they sorted themselves out, later Micheal Patrizi also found the wall, Andrew Jones desided to do abit of 2 wheeling at the chicane. Garth Tander took the lead early after Richards made a small mistake at turn 5 and lead the rest of the way to take the first race and his 4th straight win with Rick Kelly 2nd and Steven Richards 3rd, the notible performences of this race were Fabian Coulthard and Todd Kelly 7th and 8th respectively and also Tony D'Alberto having a good run in the Bottle-O car in 13th.

Sunday the final day of the Hamilton 400, the fans once again poured in as they had the previous 2 days. Race 2 came around and it was an all Holden front row with former teamates Garth Tander and Rick Kelly filling out the front row, the boys behaved themselves this time getting through the first lap relitivly unscathed but that only lasted so long, afew minor incidents nothing to write home about but the one of note was one involving Andrew Thompson, Mark Skaife wnd Craig Lowndes at turn 1 leaving Thompsons car heavily damaged. Garth Tander also took this racewith Kelly droping down to 6th and Steven Richards and James Courtney rounding out the top 3, The honourable performances of this race have to go to Fabian Coulthard once again proving race one wasn't a fluke and Tony D'Alberto on his first top 10. They all grided up in preperation for the last race minus Andrew Thompson with a diff problem, the race 1 kaos re emerged with a few tangled up in the pack at turn 1 annd a good run for Lee Holdsworth ended at the chicane where he was a little hot in there as a resault of grabing both the brake and throtle at the same time and the kurb launched him into the wallending his day, another colisions of note was one between Cameron McConville and Paul Dumbrell, McConville reciving a drive-thru for the incident ending his great run for the weekend, 8 DNF's in this race shows the ammount of kaos in the race. Garth Tander made it 3 from 3 and 6 races straight with Steven Richards and James Courtney once again following him home and once again the special performance of this race were Fabian Coulthard again keeping his car straight for a good 6th, Steve Johnson and Craig Lowndes had good fight backs but the fight back of the day was the young Kiwi Shane Van Gisbergan going from 26th to 10th.

On the podium were James Courtney in 3rd after an uneventfull weekend which is a change for him this year, on the other side was Steven Richards after another consistant performance and on the top step after a clean sweep holding up the Mark Porter memeorial trophy was Garth Tander.

Pro's verdict:
I thought for first time out Hamilton put on a great show that will only improve next year, the fans piled in, i thought the racing was abit of a let down as it was abit procesional and some wally's causing a fair few saftey cars, in saying that it definatly wasn't the worst racing just not the best, i think the chicane needs to be addressed as i think to many people had problems there, the kurbs are a little to high and the tyre bundles need to go as they do on any track.

Hope you guys enjoy my review and look forward to the next one, Cheers.

Last edited by Pro Racer; 20 Apr 2008 at 12:15.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 12:31 (Ref:2182053)   #2
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great review, Pro.

On the subject of Hamilton... it seems they did put on a great show as the Kiwi's often seem to. Gee they love their V8SCs, don't they as the attendance figures seem to show?

However, and this is no criticism of your writeup, I don't agree it was a great show, at least from a TV perspective.

Are we kidding ourselves that Hamilton was a great advertisement for V8SC in general. The number and frequency of safety cars is really doing the sport a huge disservice, IMHO. The yellow flag time is essentially dead time. It's boring viewing. If Mr Cochrane believes that such venues and street circuits in particular are worth their weight in $$$, then it's just a short-sighted view in my humble opinion.

Such in-action is alarming as it is boring and damaging to the sport. The ball is in Cochrane's court. He must make changes to improve the spectacle otherwise the sport will be poorer from the over-exposure of uneventful racing.

And for the detractors of V8SC, it's not about V8s where the criticism is aimed, it's about motor-racing in general at venues that set the coverage up for failure.

Just my 2c and sorry if you believe I've hijacked your great writeup, Pro.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2182202)   #3
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
thanks.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 16:24 (Ref:2182211)   #4
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
I believe the Hamilton track would be better suited for Super2000 touring cars than the V8's. That back chicane was absolutely dreadful.
Old 20 Apr 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2182243)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not trying to have a go at you Pro, so think of this as "constructive criticism"...

Normally a personal review, like your thread title suggests, is your take on the events, your favourite moments, your thoughts, etc. What you have essentially written is a record of everything we saw on the TV on Saturday and Sunday, with a small "blurb" of your opinions at the bottom. If this is what you were intending, then I commend you one your great peice of writing. However I think what you were trying to post and what you did post are two separate things.

Please take these comments on board in good faith, and I look forward to seeing your next installment (if you continue). And it's great to see you using proper grammar! Maybe there is a God after all!

Now I'm off to watch NASCAR.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 20 Apr 2008, 19:54 (Ref:2182301)   #6
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a TV perspective, it looked like the director was trying to appease two camps - the V8 fans and 'greenies' How many time did the camera rise to the occasion to ensure the tail end of the cars were in view as well as the leaves of the tree shrouded those same cars?

It's easy to say too many incidents were missed or only half caught, but maybe with more experience the camera crews/director will overcome this issue. Maybe not enough cameras was part of the problem, maybe inexperience on the part of the TV director (was it a local or a regular from 7's crew?)
Old 20 Apr 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2182434)   #7
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a nother typical boring street circuit.

On paper it bears a striking resemblence to Bathurst.

It was good that the organisers (who ever they may be), go a good turnout.

BUT, racing should be on race circuits
Old 20 Apr 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2182458)   #8
STEVO
Veteran

STEVO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a suggestion Pro but if you expect people to take this seriously in any capacity, why not type what you want to say in Microsoft Word first, allow it to rectify any spelling errors, then cut and paste it in here?
Old 21 Apr 2008, 00:42 (Ref:2182474)   #9
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Improvement:
All Grandstands & Free Seat must be able to see the T.V.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 00:55 (Ref:2182477)   #10
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
I'm not trying to have a go at you Pro, so think of this as "constructive criticism"...

Normally a personal review, like your thread title suggests, is your take on the events, your favourite moments, your thoughts, etc. What you have essentially written is a record of everything we saw on the TV on Saturday and Sunday, with a small "blurb" of your opinions at the bottom. If this is what you were intending, then I commend you one your great peice of writing. However I think what you were trying to post and what you did post are two separate things.

Please take these comments on board in good faith, and I look forward to seeing your next installment (if you continue). And it's great to see you using proper grammar! Maybe there is a God after all!

peice should be piece
Old 21 Apr 2008, 01:36 (Ref:2182485)   #11
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well Done Pro Racer, you were reasonable fair in your report. But as mention on this thread the show did come over on TV as rather boring. Look forward to your WA report.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 21 Apr 2008, 02:06 (Ref:2182489)   #12
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
I thought it was a nother typical boring street circuit.

It was good that the organisers (who ever they may be), go a good turnout.

BUT, racing should be on race circuits
Very well said, thanks Big Trev.....
Old 21 Apr 2008, 02:29 (Ref:2182496)   #13
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters

First of all thanks for the good feedback guys.

it is what i intended, now i read it back (for about the 10th time) i can understand where you are comming from but what i mean't by the title was a review of what hapened over the whole weekend, would "Pro's (incert round her) report" as TSR has written be a more appropriate tittle? also the NASCAR was good well done Marcos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Well Done Pro Racer, you were reasonable fair in your report. But as mention on this thread the show did come over on TV as rather boring. Look forward to your WA report.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 06:03 (Ref:2182550)   #14
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good stuff Pro, though as Stevo said, it would be an idea to run it through a spell checker.

Normally I'm not big on the "Spelling Police" on message boards, but if you want to have a go at a bit of "journalism", it would be a good idea - a good learning experience, too.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 06:44 (Ref:2182577)   #15
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev

Am i missing something here, because i just don't see it.

The racing could be better agreed and it may be in the future, time will tell.
I do agree that racing should be done on race tracks but until we get some top class circuits in Aus that are capable of transporting and accomadating 50,000+ unfortunately big Tone will keep looking towards the streets.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2182587)   #16
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
madman - have a look at the track layout on paper. The only two differences really - not on a mountain and racing clockwise.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 08:05 (Ref:2182635)   #17
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman16
Am i missing something here, because i just don't see it.

The racing could be better agreed and it may be in the future, time will tell.
I do agree that racing should be done on race tracks but until we get some top class circuits in Aus that are capable of transporting and accomadating 50,000+ unfortunately big Tone will keep looking towards the streets.
i think you could build a Bahrain like track here and the goose would still head for the streets.
Old 21 Apr 2008, 08:16 (Ref:2182649)   #18
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
i think you could build a Bahrain like track here and the goose would still head for the streets.
Yes, you are spot on with that one, he wants a carnival/circus event, not a race meeting.

NOTE:

Look at Tony's all time favourites, all befitting and worthy of having a V8Supercircus event:
* Bathurst
* Adelaide
* Gold Coast, and now
* Hamilton, next year
* Townsville

The all "put on a great show"
Old 21 Apr 2008, 09:29 (Ref:2182706)   #19
madman16
Racer

Australia
Brisvegas, Aus
madman16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
madman - have a look at the track layout on paper. The only two differences really - not on a mountain and racing clockwise.
I see what you're saying but i still think it's a bit of a stretch...but enough about that.

Surely you can't really argue against Bathurst or Adelaide.
Gold Coast....I don't think i've ever really gone just for the racing.

The other prob i think Tony's got is that rather than fixing the show to attract more fans he just brings it closer so people don't have to travel to it. If you force it upon them they may like it. While the crowds look good on paper, i would like to see the number of people who are at Adelaide or the Gold Coast just for the racing
Old 21 Apr 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2182710)   #20
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
hey pro, good job, might want to tru a few more paragraphs also its a difficult read on screen with such long paragraphs
Old 21 Apr 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2182877)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
thanks peck, yeah i realised that i'm thinking for Perth doing each session in a paragraph instead of the day.
Old 22 Apr 2008, 04:08 (Ref:2183592)   #22
GtiMagic
Racer

GtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGtiMagic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi ProRacer

I find it incredible that you can spell "unscathed", but not sponsor (sponser) or trophy (trophey) or....

Mate, you're obviously young, and you're obviously passionate for which I will never be critical, but if you submit a piece for opinion I can only be honest. My tips?

1) Learn about "F7" and "Shift F7"
2) Since it's quite a lengthy read as is, maybe consider doing a shorter review of each day, rather than a 3 day essay?

Whatever, keep the passion. You can't deny you have it in bundles!