Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 7 Nov 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2577875)   #26
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have said it before in another thread, but we use to have a super speedway (oval) in Australia at a track called Calder. That ran both Nascar and a local version, Auscar. The cars went in opposite directions so the driver sat away from the wall, purely for safety.
Interstingly the same circuit was used for a WTCC round back in the original Group A guise (1987 I think) and they combined the road race course with the oval, in those days they had both LHD and RHD cars... so there goes the driver away from the wall (that said Nascar's are a LOT LOT faster than any Group A)

In Australia (and I think the UK would have been the same, people ran Sierra's in both LHD and RHD, but usually the team would chose one way and stick with it, not swap depending on the track.
(Quite a few of our circuits are anti-clockwise, including the 2 best/most important Phillip Island and Bathurst)
Old 7 Nov 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2577878)   #27
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
I always wondered why when we used to go clockwise in the Hot Rods the Superstocks went anti ?
there a quite simple answer to this gordon , stockcar racing came from the us of a and thats the way that they have allways done it . when saloon racing started in this country they went the other way coz the wheel is on the right .f1 and f2 superstox still have there american roots .
Old 22 Nov 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2587148)   #28
FRENCHIE44T
Racer

England
High Wycombe, BUCKS
FRENCHIE44T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Nice steep climb up the hill, I would prefer that.
Yes could you imagine that for BTCC???????
Old 22 Nov 2009, 13:49 (Ref:2587176)   #29
markjtaylor
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Nutfield SURREY
markjtaylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not on a circuit, but on public roads. There can be an advantgage to being in a left hooker, when others are conventional RHD. I had a LHD Healey 100/4 on the road, sold it earlier this year. Had a small block chev and very noisy exhausts. Great when you were overtaking, when a driver glanced at you with a look of total fear on their face, being close to them, you could poke your tongue out at them and gauge the reaction more closely

About time I started behing myself????
Old 23 Nov 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2587636)   #30
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Healey with a chevy eh, I wouldnt have minded a crack at that, my favourite cars that I owned in my youf (a 100/6 shown below and a Mk11a) with my favourite engine that I know inside out and backwards, I would have been in my glory.

Old 23 Nov 2009, 16:56 (Ref:2587913)   #31
markjtaylor
Rookie

United Kingdom
South Nutfield SURREY
markjtaylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, not being rude, but it would have been more than a tight fit. Due to the way the bulkhead had been altered, leg room was minimal, not too much of a problem for a dwarf like me. I would upload a photo, but do not how to from my personal files. It was lots of fun, could not be driven sensibly. With speed bumps etc and the fact that the car was not more than an inch off the ground, also no suspension movement, it became a nightmare. Hope the guy in Wiltshire who bought it from me has lots of fun with it. I thought about racing it, but with a spear for a steering column, struck me as not being a safe proposition. I imagine my neighbours are glad it has gone, on trips to Goodwood, three of my mates with Cobra's would arrive about 6:30 for us to travel in convoy. NOISE