Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 Jul 2001, 08:57 (Ref:119548)   #1
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bring back Wilko

Anyone now the commentary team for the Super Tourers this year. I really hope it isn't the team from last year. Mark Beretta didn't have a clue, i'd rather see McConville driving than in the commentary box, and Michael Meagher has gone to Channel 9, he was doing interviews at the AGP for them. Why not have Garry Wilkinson, he still works for them and can't be satisfied with the morning news, and he's always commentated on motorsportsport. His sidekick could be David Tapp, he commentated on the ARDC V8 series in 97, and was pitlane reporter at Bathurst in 97 & 98 and commentated in 99, and how about Patty Welsh to partner Melinda Price in the pitlane.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 10:48 (Ref:119574)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you'll find that the difference between Wilko and Beretta with regards to TOCA would be their price tag... Bring back Moff and Raymond!

I always remember Wilko as the one eyed Queenslander (ie Dick Johnson) supporter, god bless him
Old 20 Jul 2001, 10:50 (Ref:119577)   #3
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My memory of Wilko will always be one of the Winton races where they all went down the back of the track, got on horses and did a piece about Winton being in Ned Kelly Country....
Old 20 Jul 2001, 11:24 (Ref:119592)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or the time that he walked around all week at Bathurst in his pink and white striped PJs
Old 20 Jul 2001, 12:30 (Ref:119629)   #5
RaceTime
Veteran

Urghhhh now I feel *really* sick
Old 20 Jul 2001, 12:34 (Ref:119635)   #6
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wilko would be a great asset to the Super Tourers, great racing and great commentry would go hand in hand. My greatest memories of Wilko would him standing on the podium each year talking to the drivers and him there in 92, I don't think he knew what to do with the crowd going crazy and Jimmy, well you know.
Old 20 Jul 2001, 15:04 (Ref:119687)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sorry i dont mean to be the stick in the mud here..but please dont let Wilko near motorsport ever again..i wont go into why as many it seems liked him..but between him and that terrible david tapp it would surely end 2 litre racing completely in this country..they need positives not 2 guys that have never had a clue in theirs lives.

personal opinion of course

preparing for barrage !!!
Old 21 Jul 2001, 02:08 (Ref:119839)   #8
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey, Mark Beretta did an excellent job...I always laughed at the fact he didn't know what cars he was looking at so he'd just describe them by their colour !

For example "...and he's followed by that nice looking green car..."

Just proves Channel 7 don't give a rats unfortunately.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 07:54 (Ref:119871)   #9
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wilko is a nice guy and does a good job of the tenis.

Why push things.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 08:48 (Ref:119878)   #10
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice to get Moffatt partnered by someone like Colin Bond, would make for some interesting commentary, or maybe Brock, he's keen for a career on the tele.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 08:56 (Ref:119880)   #11
RaceTime
Veteran

However, whilst nothing has been said publicly, I think you will find that whilst current management is in place at AVESCO, you will not see Brock do any commentary for V8 races - how many recall some of the comments he made about the state of motor racing in Australia when he announced his retirement?

he laid the blame for problems and divisions squarely at the arguments and fights raging between TOCA and AVESCO
Old 21 Jul 2001, 09:04 (Ref:119882)   #12
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd forgotten about that, thanks for the reminder RaceTime. It's a pity when commentators speak their mind, the employers usually get rid of them. Can't say I blame them either, would do the same thing in their position if faced with a frontperson putting a negative image of the company over the air.

That being said, there's nothing like a little honest, uncensored commentary. As much as I appaud 10 for all the motorsport they broadcast each week, the hard sell on the Supercars continually every broadcast gets a bit much.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 09:46 (Ref:119884)   #13
RaceTime
Veteran

But, in this particular instance, Brock never said this on air - it was one of the reaons he retired and, being perfectly honest about it, I supported (and still do) a decision based on that 100%.

Brock NEVER, as far as I am aware, bagged anyone on air or even in interviews. But when pushed for a reason for retiring he gave a number of basic reasons - this being one of them.
Old 21 Jul 2001, 10:20 (Ref:119892)   #14
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't super tourers suffered enough!
Old 21 Jul 2001, 10:49 (Ref:119904)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
AlanJones- The idea of Colin Bond has some merit. Since he is the driving standards officer, every time there is contact on the race track, the commentators mics get muted, and this small box appears in the corner with Colin in it. Then he has to pass a judgement on the incident on the spot.

"Ahhh....he's stuffed, black flag him!"
"Ahhh....that didn't seem too blatant, let him go!"
"Ahhh....ahhhhh" "Colin?" "Ahhhh..." "Colin, we need you response." "Can I phone a friend?"

I'm going to bed now
Old 21 Jul 2001, 11:44 (Ref:119922)   #16
RaceTime
Veteran

Actually, having known Colin for a long long time (early 70's <g>) and worked alongside him over the past few years, I can assure you that he does NOT subscribe to Chenkens ideas - on more than one occasions he has over-ruled Schenken - much to Tim's obvious displeasure (which made a *lot* of people smile...
Old 21 Jul 2001, 12:21 (Ref:119939)   #17
the man
Veteran

the man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sure you could bring back Wilko and David Tapp but channel 7 should get some people who have had some time driving or spending a lot of time round them. Now the Astc has moved to the summer series they should some of the old super touring drivers from v8's, like Brad Jones etc.Then get Wilko and a couple of others and you would a great commentry team
Old 23 Jul 2001, 01:10 (Ref:120363)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wilko always seemed to support the queenslanders, on my old video of the 85 bathurst, Johnson had just pitted with a problem and had returned to the track about 4 laps down after 15 or so laps, and Wilko was talking to him on the in-car and tells Dick to get a move on because Wilko had some money riding on a Johnson victory.