Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 16 Sep 2017, 16:25 (Ref:3767449)   #551
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's not a 'vs.' issue. I don't see that many wec drivers or teams looking at entering Petit Le Mans anyway. And vice versa.
I agree it's not a versus issue, but there are quite a few looking at it. Rebellion, G-Drive (TDS), DragonSpeed. Potentially more coming too, as IMSA are trying to lure in those single entries for the Florida events. There are teams that use a WEC driver for a third driver for the endurance events too. So I wouldn't count it out, especially with IMSA finding its feet a bit more this year.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 19:25 (Ref:3767545)   #552
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
It doesn't leave 30 weekends though does it? A lot of these weekends are not useable. IMSA takes a whole month off after Daytona because it's going from a 24 hour event to a 12 hour event. Le Mans means you count at least all of June off apart from a single weekend, plus July. And then there is off-seasons. And local laws and agreements on when streets can be closed for events, and IMSA on IndyCar schedules. WEC also has to account for Formula E. So it really isn't 30 weekends they have free - there's a lot of things which cannot be moved.

The 'perfect' comment is a little out of context there as well, as I made that in reference to the criticism of the clashing of SRO Events. In terms of avoiding everything, and literally being a perfect schedule, that's just not happening, ever. Even if you only talk about sportscar racing, you're going to get clashes. Version 2 of this schedule is getting pretty decent, after some very obvious mistakes.

Given the success of the ELMS/WEC weekend, I'm not sure I agree with not combining series. It's been a huge success there.
So what prevents WEC from hosting a race in February then?

I believe IMSA hosts 4 races in that exact period (Detroit, Watkins Glen, Mosport and Lime Rock). And yes, I'm fully aware of the Detroit GP-LM test day clash, it might go away when the contract with the city of Detroit runs out (in 2019?)

Isn't that the whole purpose of going to a "winter schedule"???
Old 16 Sep 2017, 19:45 (Ref:3767554)   #553
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Single example just ignores the whole picture, it isn't 30 available weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
So what prevents WEC from hosting a race in February then?
Nothing in particular, but for 18/19 no agreement could be reached with circuits that are realistic options. WEC using surface shipping rather than flying starting next year means you'll have to take that into account, which is why Mexico and at a stretch Brazil were being looked at. And you won't be using any European tracks in February. 18/19 schedule isn't a particularly good one to pick apart as it's extremely spread out since it has to span 18 months rather than 12. It has gaps all over the place, and that was always going to happen for a transitional year.

But since IMSA wants entries like Rebellion to come over for the 36 Hours of Florida, and they need the same prep time, if not more, than the entire IMSA field, then putting a WEC race in the middle makes the 36H entries a bit more difficult. So if the WEC wants to be difficult (not sure why it would) for the 36H entries, they could plonk a race in February. Then the teams wanting to do it would need to do 4 endurance races in 2.5 months - Daytona - WEC - Sebring IMSA - Sebring WEC. Not exactly a productive way of doing things.

Quote:
I believe IMSA hosts 4 races in that exact period (Detroit, Watkins Glen, Mosport and Lime Rock). And yes, I'm fully aware of the Detroit GP-LM test day clash, it might go away when the contract with the city of Detroit runs out (in 2019?)

Isn't that the whole purpose of going to a "winter schedule"???
Not really following you. I'm just saying, it isn't a case of there being 52 useable weekends a year. It isn't even a case of subtracting IMSA races and WEC can run any time. They have to fit around NAEC, Le Mans, Formula E, F1 races, shipping times, and local climate. For 18/19, that schedule is as good as it'll get. And again, the perfect comment was about the criticism of clashes with SRO events, not IMSA. The 'perfect' schedule that some want, with no clashes with Blancpain and IGTC does not exist. That's an unrealistic expectation.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 20:58 (Ref:3767610)   #554
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
The winter schedule comment was in response to your off season remark.

The updated 2018/2019 schedule is better than the original one but far from great (which was expected with such an unconventional move) but not sure why WEC has to avoid clashes with F1 as they're hardly share the same fan pool.

I find it weird that the series (WEC) makes the changes to a winter schedule but doesn't host a race between mid November and mid March. A WEC race in February in close proximity to Florida makes great sense imo as it would provide European and Asian teams a bridge between the two IMSA blue riband events if they choose to enter (one of) those before returning back home and continuing their WEC campaign (and potentially adding some of their respective regional events in addition). The challenge is to find a suitable venue for that February race.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 21:17 (Ref:3767619)   #555
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
It has to avoid F1 clashes, as in running the same circuit as F1 at a recent time. You don't run WEC Spa a couple of weeks after F1 at Spa, for example. Anyone wanting to attend both has 2 major expenses in a short time. Spread them out and you'll get more. That was one of the reason cited for Silverstone running in April rather than July. They should get away with September. Motorsport isn't a particularly large fan base, so over course there is an overlap of F1 and WEC fans. If there wasn't an overlap then Radio Le Mans wouldn't bother chatting about F1 news every week.

Yeah it's a big gap through the winter at the moment, but this isn't a winter schedule - it's an 18 month long schedule with breaks and gaps all over the place. We've got another 18 months before we'll get to see what the long term plans are, unfortunately.
Old 16 Sep 2017, 23:36 (Ref:3767695)   #556
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Free and long Autosport+ article:

https://www.autosport.com/wec/featur...o-stop-the-rot

How the WEC plans to stop the rot

"The withdrawal of Audi and Porsche has left the World Endurance Championship's LMP1 class on the brink. But WEC CEO Gerard Neveu has not given up, and believes the series' fortunes can be revived"

The author could have maybe asked some tougher questions.

Last edited by deggis; 16 Sep 2017 at 23:47.
Old 17 Sep 2017, 21:25 (Ref:3768075)   #557
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I find it weird that the series (WEC) makes the changes to a winter schedule but doesn't host a race between mid November and mid March.

A WEC race in February in close proximity to Florida makes great sense imo

The challenge is to find a suitable venue for that February race.
Mexico in late March would be nice too.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 16:19 (Ref:3768331)   #558
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
FWIW, I was walking in the paddock at COTA on Friday the 15th around noon and ran into Pierre Fillon and Gerard Neveu. I told them how excited I was regarding Sebring 2019 and that I loved the idea of the second 12 hour race and the proposal of starting it at midnight. Neveu didn't really say much, but Fillon emphatically (he said it twice) said that they would not make any changes to what was proposed. So it's interesting that I see articles saying otherwise here. Obviously DSC knows a lot more than I do and get to speak with them more than just in passing, but it's different than what I was told. Again, FWIW.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3768336)   #559
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/o...n-regulations/
Old 18 Sep 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3768339)   #560
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To all the idiots who said we'd never see a P1 at Brands Hatch...

http://news.brandshatch.co.uk/le-man...cc-finale.aspx
Old 18 Sep 2017, 17:39 (Ref:3768343)   #561
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
Do they have any takers at this point? Still have a lot of people offering (potential) cars but not a lot of teams telling us their plans.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3768346)   #562
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...f-sebring.html

The current distance record for the 12 hour is 1,416mi, set in 2009.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 18:55 (Ref:3768363)   #563
Coach Ep
Veteran

Wondering how many more changes we'll see to the format before the race actually takes place (or not).
Old 18 Sep 2017, 18:59 (Ref:3768367)   #564
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
I'm sure the current LMP1-Ls could break the distance record, and maybe get it in under 12 hours....I just don't see why they're doing this.

Make it 1000 miles and be done with it. Odd the ACO are working in miles for this one, as they've tended to use km.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:04 (Ref:3768369)   #565
Coach Ep
Veteran

Fat chance, they'll break before the halfway mark. Besides, with cautions being thrown for baseballs these days, who knows what'll show up on track at Sebring, maybe a couch or two haha?!
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:18 (Ref:3768375)   #566
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Actually good point. If Toyota are the only hybrid they'll just turn the power down, unless the Private cars are given a huge boost.

Just make it 1000 miles!
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3768379)   #567
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Do they have any takers at this point? Still have a lot of people offering (potential) cars but not a lot of teams telling us their plans.
It's Oreca, they can sell a handkerchief with a race seat and people would buy it. Although, probably Rebellion again to be serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/0...f-sebring.html

The current distance record for the 12 hour is 1,416mi, set in 2009.
I SAID 1500KM, NEVEU!!
Old 18 Sep 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3768400)   #568
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm sure the current LMP1-Ls could break the distance record, and maybe get it in under 12 hours....I just don't see why they're doing this.

Make it 1000 miles and be done with it. Odd the ACO are working in miles for this one, as they've tended to use km.
They're racing in America, we use miles and inches Maybe they're trying to be more 'American' with the distance. I think we'll see a race at about the same amount of time as the 12hr of Sebring. I like the 1500 mile distance, 1000 miles is PLM distance isn't it? Good to differentiate it. 1000 seems too short, that'd be over in 9 hours or so with the speed of the new p1's.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 00:30 (Ref:3768451)   #569
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
They want to run a 12 hour race, but clearly someone at IMSA is as worried as internet forum posters about there being multiple 12 hours so they've had to compromise. 2500km would only be a 50 mile difference anyways.

LMP2 is at least as fast as 2009 LMP1.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 01:31 (Ref:3768455)   #570
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Fat chance, they'll break before the halfway mark. Besides, with cautions being thrown for baseballs these days, who knows what'll show up on track at Sebring, maybe a couch or two haha?!
I think it could happen because the WEC grid will proably be just 25-30 cars I imagine? Plus with the code 60 like procedure that the WEC uses. The cars will be racing on full throttle the whole way. I can see it being an attrition fest though.

Remember its only the first LMP1 car (i assume they win overall still) who gets to 1500 miles.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3768565)   #571
Coach Ep
Veteran

Same expectation regarding entry numbers here.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 11:21 (Ref:3769247)   #572
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Motorsport Network (Motorsport.com, Autosport, etc) are conducting a Fan Survey of the WEC. Interesting but nothing special but as an Aussie I was bemused by mention of a new race in Adelaide. Has anyone heard of this and is this an indication that a race is being discussed between the WEC and an Adelaide organisation?
Old 22 Sep 2017, 11:46 (Ref:3769251)   #573
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Don't think so - they did the same during the F1 Survey (which was almost identical to the WEC one) and had some places that hadn't been discussed.

It'd be nice though.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 13:43 (Ref:3769256)   #574
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Race in Aus should be Phillip Island.
Old 4 Oct 2017, 21:27 (Ref:3771968)   #575
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2018 WEC Season

Spy shots: New BR1 LMP1 WEC challenger revealed in secret test.

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...72#post3771872

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Oct 2017 at 05:47. Reason: Link to original post in users BR1 thread.