Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3854928)   #26
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
The problem with what you guys are doing is calculating the odds after the fact. Nobody knew them beforehand, not the other teams either.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:34 (Ref:3854929)   #27
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Cheers F1 Guy for the intro...
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:36 (Ref:3854931)   #28
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do Ferrari have any feet left that don't have bullet holes in them?

Between Q2 and Q3 we got a shot at Hamilton's Merc with an inter on the front right. At that moment I think it was pretty unclear which way was the best. Then in the closing moments before going out it became apparent to all the teams (except Ferrari?) that it wasn't wet enough for inters and was unlikely to rain in the next few minutes. It was a bad decision.

What did Ferrari have to gain or lose? They could have gone on slicks like everyone else. Then they would have been no better or worse off than any other team. They chose inters, the track was nearly dry and they looked like idiots. If rain had come in during the out lap, Ferrari might have been able to get a timed lap in while everyone else was scurrying to the pits. And that might have been the best track conditions of the session. Note the one "if" and two "mights". It really wasn't a gamble worth taking.

My prediction for the close-season: Arrivabene will be sacked.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:38 (Ref:3854933)   #29
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffectiveSprinkles View Post
The problem with what you guys are doing is calculating the odds after the fact. Nobody knew them beforehand, not the other teams either.
I disagree. They knew the odds. They just didn't know the result. Going back to ackropovic's analogy, he knows his horse is 500-1. He doesn't know if it is going to win, though he could make a fair guess.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:44 (Ref:3854937)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No, what we're doing is looking at the actual result with the benefit of hindsight. The teams all knew the odds beforehand, which is why 9 teams out of 10 chose not to run.

With smartphone apps able to send notifications within 30 seconds of when it's about to rain, and tell you the intensity, weather forecasting software is better than ever. If I have that available to me on my phone, the teams have much more sophisticated systems available. Ferrari tried to be smarter than an already very smart system. It didn't work.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 16:47 (Ref:3854938)   #31
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

EffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsedEffectiveSprinkles User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
No, what we're doing is looking at the actual result with the benefit of hindsight. The teams all knew the odds beforehand, which is why 9 teams out of 10 chose not to run.
They had no idea about the actual odds, that's impossible. How many times do racing teams get caught out by rain? It's at the moment completely impossible to predict to the minute when actual rain is going to hit the track, let alone determine if enough of it will hit for inters to be needed. You vastly overestimate the predictableness of very localized weather.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:08 (Ref:3854940)   #32
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
They had no idea about the actual odds, that's impossible. How many times do racing teams get caught out by rain? It's at the moment completely impossible to predict to the minute when actual rain is going to hit the track, let alone determine if enough of it will hit for inters to be needed. You vastly overestimate the predictableness of very localized weather.
Indeed, there's absolutely no way to predict when rain is very likely to happen. You couldn't, for example, give it down to a percentage. That's just fiction!

You vastly underestimate the advances in weather technology in only the last 2-3 years. With the latest satellites capable of servicing smaller businesses rather than requiring government level budgets, there have been massive gains in the hyperlocal weather reporting. Dark Sky and Weather Underground both have bespoke systems that can take your GPS location and give you a notification to a smartphone when it's about to rain. There's probably loads more systems too - these are just two public ones which do an incredible job of hyperlocal reports and notifications. They're pretty popular with cyclists and runners trying not to get caught in rain.

There is at least 1 WEC team who places spotters around the circuits and uses smartphones for the notifications, knowing someone on the south (for example) will get the notification before someone in pit lane. If WEC teams are doing it, then F1 teams are all doing it, and Ferrari tried to be smarter than everyone else and weren't. They all knew the odds, just Ferrari took the risk of everyone else being wrong.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:13 (Ref:3854943)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
But didn't.

Is this getting as tiresome for you as it is for the rest of us.....?

It seems not......
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3854946)   #34
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Indeed, there's absolutely no way to predict when rain is very likely to happen. You couldn't, for example, give it down to a percentage. That's just fiction!

You vastly underestimate the advances in weather technology in only the last 2-3 years. With the latest satellites capable of servicing smaller businesses rather than requiring government level budgets, there have been massive gains in the hyperlocal weather reporting. Dark Sky and Weather Underground both have bespoke systems that can take your GPS location and give you a notification to a smartphone when it's about to rain. There's probably loads more systems too - these are just two public ones which do an incredible job of hyperlocal reports and notifications. They're pretty popular with cyclists and runners trying not to get caught in rain.

There is at least 1 WEC team who places spotters around the circuits and uses smartphones for the notifications, knowing someone on the south (for example) will get the notification before someone in pit lane. If WEC teams are doing it, then F1 teams are all doing it, and Ferrari tried to be smarter than everyone else and weren't. They all knew the odds, just Ferrari took the risk of everyone else being wrong.
When I was watching qualifying this morning, DC mentioned something about Ferrari having a spotter on the other side of the track.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:18 (Ref:3854948)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, he was at turn 5 at COTA.....
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3854949)   #36
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
When I was watching qualifying this morning, DC mentioned something about Ferrari having a spotter on the other side of the track.
Wonder if one of the spotters got it very wrong and Ferrari reacted to his incorrect information. Maybe he spilt his drink on himself and thought it was sudden rain.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:27 (Ref:3854952)   #37
EffectiveSprinkles
Veteran

Quote:

All of that is very nice but completely irrelevant. They still don't know at what exact second the rain is going to fall and if enough falls for inters to be needed. Which is what I said in my previous post and you simply ignored. So I can only conclude you're not interested in proper discussion. The 'Ferrari is **** at strategy' meme must survive at all cost.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:31 (Ref:3854954)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
liked the intro. thanks!

quali was a mess...i guess Ferrari feel their only chance now is to do the opposite of Merc.

cant say i blame them but it is all a bit desperate.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:35 (Ref:3854957)   #39
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Should've, could've, would'ves...... It is what it is. Tomorrow's (today, technically, I guess, over there) "session" is the important one.

jimclark
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3854959)   #40
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
also dont think ive ever seen DanRic so angry. his anger kinda made me feel i bit uncomfortable!

https://streamable.com/91d9p
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:38 (Ref:3854960)   #41
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
All of that is very nice but completely irrelevant. They still don't know at what exact second the rain is going to fall and if enough falls for inters to be needed. Which is what I said in my previous post and you simply ignored. So I can only conclude you're not interested in proper discussion. The 'Ferrari is **** at strategy' meme must survive at all cost.
Actually what you said was -

Quote:
They had no idea about the actual odds, that's impossible.
This isn't true. They had a good idea about actual odds. That's why 9 of the teams managed to get it correct.

Quote:
It's at the moment completely impossible to predict to the minute when actual rain is going to hit the track
This is also untrue. It's not completely impossible - there are entire businesses set up and doing it. You claiming my post was irrelevant doesn't actually make it irrelevant. I've listed two systems you can use yourself to get this feature.

I didn't ignore what you said. I replied exactly to what you said.

We agree on many Ferrari topics on this forum, but like Ferrari during qualifying, you're on your own with this one But you didn't know the odds of that happening when you posted, of course.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:40 (Ref:3854962)   #42
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
also dont think ive ever seen DanRic so angry. his anger kinda made me feel i bit uncomfortable!

Don't worry, that'll be Horner and Max when they have the Honda engine.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:45 (Ref:3854963)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
haha...or more like Ric realizing how he's now married to this Renault engine.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:46 (Ref:3854964)   #44
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Wasn’t there more Hondas in Q3 than Renaults?
Old 6 Oct 2018, 17:52 (Ref:3854965)   #45
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by karting View Post
Wasn’t there more Hondas in Q3 than Renaults?
Yeah. And in the last 3 races, Honda engines have scored 0 points whilst Renault engines have scored...man I'm too lazy to add it up, but they've had a podium and a bunch of top 10s.

Honda do this every-so-often. Great wee session, things are looking great. And then it all resets 24 hours later. They managed a top 10 qualification at Monza - the biggest power circuit we have. Still came away with nothing.

Maybe Honda will get there, but one good Q3 doesn't mean much.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 18:05 (Ref:3854967)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Wonder if one of the spotters got it very wrong and Ferrari reacted to his incorrect information. Maybe he spilt his drink on himself and thought it was sudden rain.
If Ferrari's spotter got it wrong then they were doomed.
Old 6 Oct 2018, 18:21 (Ref:3854970)   #47
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Cheers F1 Guy for the intro...
Yes, thank you for creating the race thread.

Richard
Old 6 Oct 2018, 19:14 (Ref:3854975)   #48
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Unfortunate as he moves to Renault next year!
Quote:

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 6 Oct 2018, 19:16 (Ref:3854976)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:

Yep, he was as angry as a recently sacked Ferrari rain-spotter.......
Old 6 Oct 2018, 20:27 (Ref:3854988)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
At least he’ll be with the works Renault team next season, so should get the better end of the stick