Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:08 (Ref:3893102)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
First FCY, as Rosenqvist loses it on cold tyres and runs into Hinchliffe.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3893104)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That's Power's race shot. His engine is running but he can't move. The pit crew even tried push starting.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:23 (Ref:3893105)   #28
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sad for Power, he was on the lead on alomost every lap.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:29 (Ref:3893106)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A clean restart and excellent get away from Herta. A number of drivers banging wheels.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:48 (Ref:3893107)   #30
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Colton Herta, and Harding Steinbrenner Racing on both their debut wins. Herta is the youngest driver to win an IndyCar race.

Got to feel sorry for Will Power but a consolation second place for Newgarden, as he extends his championship lead.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 19:56 (Ref:3893109)   #31
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Herta was astonishingly quick at the end... they must have absolutely nailed the setup on the car, coupled with some obviously excellent driving. Bravo to the rookie and the rookie team around him.
Old 24 Mar 2019, 23:35 (Ref:3893127)   #32
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Round 2: IndyCar Classic, Circuit of The Americas. Austin, Texas. March 22-24.

When was the last time a Herta won a race in Indycars? Well done Colton
Old 25 Mar 2019, 00:59 (Ref:3893133)   #33
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Some masterful action from the young guns whilst the old fogies struggled. Well done Herta.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 01:11 (Ref:3893135)   #34
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
I am so happy Herta won, what a great ride! But really, this stupid caution stuff really ruins IndyCar for me, Rossi just got completely screwed for no reason whatsoever.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 01:29 (Ref:3893137)   #35
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Result

1 Colton Herta, Harding Racing. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m02.0587ss
2 Josef Newgarden, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m04.7769ss.
3 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m05.2898ss.
4 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m10.1199ss.
5 Sebastien Bourdais, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m17.4602ss.
6 Marco Andretti, Andretti Herta. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m21.9081ss 19.8494s.
7 Takuma Sato, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m24.2054ss.
8 Patricio O'Ward, Carlin. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m25.3215ss.
9 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m25.5866ss.
10 Jack Harvey, Meyer Shank Racing. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m26.0119ss.
11 Spencer Pigot, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m26.4425ss.
12 Tony Kanaan, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m29.1155ss.
13 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m33.1264ss.
14 Ed Jones, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m37.7189ss.
15 Marcus Ericsson, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m38.2895ss.
16 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m38.8286ss.
17 Matheus Leist, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m41.3206ss.
18 Kyle Kaiser, Juncos Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m48.2944ss.
19 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m57.0965ss.
20 Santino Ferrucci, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 2h01m55.7463ss.
21 Max Chilton, Carlin. Dallara/Chevrolet. 2h00m39.1216ss. 1 Lap
22 Zach Veach, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m43.1062ss. 2 Laps
23 Felix Rosenqvist, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Honda. 2h00m48.6296ss. 5 Laps
24 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 1h29m17.1877ss. 46 Laps Mechanical
Old 25 Mar 2019, 01:29 (Ref:3893138)   #36
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see a new driver and team in victory lane. Herta drove a great race, had a perfect restart after the yellow and just motored away from there. All that taken into account I have to agree with Power that the timing of a yellow shouldn't be what determines the winner. Pits should not be closed when a yellow is thrown. Racing is legitimately close enough in the series that NASCAR style gimmicks are not necessary.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 01:35 (Ref:3893140)   #37
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
That yellow should never have been thrown anyway, local yellows would have been more than good enough.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 01:39 (Ref:3893141)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Nice to see a new driver and team in victory lane. Herta drove a great race, had a perfect restart after the yellow and just motored away from there. All that taken into account I have to agree with Power that the timing of a yellow shouldn't be what determines the winner. Pits should not be closed when a yellow is thrown. Racing is legitimately close enough in the series that NASCAR style gimmicks are not necessary.
Even F1 keeps the pits open under yellow.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 02:01 (Ref:3893148)   #39
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't get to see as much of the race as I wanted to, but great to see Herta win and O'Ward get a top 10. O'Ward lost a couple spots at the end or the result would have been better. I was interested to see how Indycar raced at Cota. I gotta say I didn't enjoy it a ton. I think it is just the track that is a turnoff for me. I had hoped seeing the series there would make it more enjoyable but the track is still dull to me.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 02:04 (Ref:3893149)   #40
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I love how COTA race threads turn into trashing the joint
I just went back a page to catchup after my previous post, and saw this. You predicted my complaints! I've never been in person, and doubt i ever will.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 02:27 (Ref:3893151)   #41
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somewhat in defense of the venue, there was some pretty good racing going on. Quite a bit of passing in mid-field, nothing at the front.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 03:27 (Ref:3893155)   #42
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I was interested to see how Indycar raced at Cota. I gotta say I didn't enjoy it a ton. I think it is just the track that is a turnoff for me. I had hoped seeing the series there would make it more enjoyable but the track is still dull to me.
I have to say there was slightly 'artificial' feel all the time though racing was enjoyable in the end when Herta took the lead.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3893199)   #43
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
I'm reasonably sure IndyCar habitually uses a timing line at road/street courses during qualifying that is one or two turns before the pit entrance, as it means the cars can avoid having to do most of another ("cool down") lap before entering the pit lane.
Thanks very much, this makes alot of sense.

Really enjoyed the race yesterday, think Colton Herta is something special. I knew he was talented based on his time in Euroformula and Indy Lights but his performance for BMW in the Daytona 24 hours was superb and at COTA he was seriously impressive. Will be interesting to see if he can continue this form throughout the season.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 15:06 (Ref:3893275)   #44
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Even F1 keeps the pits open under yellow.
F1 has no fuel recharge, so there's no reason for them to keep pits open.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3893276)   #45
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I have to agree with Power that the timing of a yellow shouldn't be what determines the winner. Pits should not be closed when a yellow is thrown.
The crashed car was right in the pitlane entrance.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3893280)   #46
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
F1 has no fuel recharge, so there's no reason for them to keep pits open.
They still have tyre stops and one is mandatory.
Old 25 Mar 2019, 23:36 (Ref:3893381)   #47
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Does anyone else get a verstappen feel with Colton herta? Or at least see the similarities? Son of a former driver in the series, probably better than the dad, wins very early on, looks scary good at a very young age, record breaking win, start in an upper tier team early on.... Less drama with colton herta so far though, haha.

Very impressive talent.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 04:26 (Ref:3893397)   #48
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
All that taken into account I have to agree with Power that the timing of a yellow shouldn't be what determines the winner. Pits should not be closed when a yellow is thrown. Racing is legitimately close enough in the series that NASCAR style gimmicks are not necessary.
Agreed - why Indycar persist with the closing of the pitlane astounds me.

Should you not reward those who perform over a race distance rather than jag a result?
Old 26 Mar 2019, 15:58 (Ref:3893513)   #49
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
It's time they changed the rule on closing the pit lane.
Old 26 Mar 2019, 16:05 (Ref:3893515)   #50
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Why? Everyone had time to choose a strategy. The leaders could have pitted to cover off those behind them that had. They chose not to. At least it throws a wrench in the standings once in a while.

And I rather like the interesting result it gave us. Nice story came out of it