Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 27 Mar 2004, 08:32 (Ref:921004)   #1
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CARL HAAS & Junky to INDY ?!

Don't panic, everybody... this isn't anything new, just an update ?!

First off, Carl Haas: he is a legendary motorsports eterpreneur in USA, he's been involved in Indycars; then CART, and NASCAB for many years; last year he resigned from the CART BoD due to "conflict of interest" (read that anyway one pleases); Haas is Lola Ltd agent aka "representative" or "distributor"; and above all, since two years ago it is known that he has intentions of being at Indy ?!

Now, even though many CART fanatics may dislike the cigar chomping Carl Haas for one reason or another the man has been quite beneficial and detrimential in CART's wellbeing during the last decade or so. Paul Newman has joined him in his CART team endeavour only out of respect for that man. And even though Haas has been planning on going Indy racing for quite some time, and Newman is a staunch anti-IRL proponent, they still are very good friends and very likely will stay that way 'til the very end.

But, at the time when OWRS is struggling to pick up the CART pieces and come out blasting out of the starting gate come "news" that Carl Haas will field a one-car team at Indy this coming May.

Even though last winter Haas tested Bruno Junqueira in a Dallara befitted with a Toyota engine, now it will be a Dallara-Honda. Don't ask as to why the switch - we all know the latest Honda shenaningas - very easy to add it all up.

Anyhow, the good news is that Paul Newman is completely washing his hands from this silly escapade.

Bruno Junqueira is expected to be the driver at Indy. NOTE: it is only an Indy effort !! There are no plans for Haas to do any more races in IRL this year. Also, it isn't known yet if PacifiCare will sponsor that effort. And it still should be considered as a possibility only - Haas hasn't announced it yet nor has anyone else - so far, it is the buzz in Indy now. And frankly, whether it does hapen or not, I don't give a dåmn ?!

zerO
Old 27 Mar 2004, 14:25 (Ref:921265)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, zero, this is hardly a silly escapade, and really, you should give a damn, because this could be the beginning of the end for Newman-Hass racing in CART.

Whether you like it or not, or care to admit it, the Indy 500 is still THE race to be seen in, and its easily the most important open wheel race in the world. The fact that Hass wants to be there, against the wishes of his partner, does not bode well for Newman-Hass Racing. Racing at Indy will give both Hass and Bruno, an IRL option, should OWRS go under or fail to produce a series thats even worth being a part of. Bruno already showed interest in the IRL, when he showed up at Phoenix during testing.

Your series already lost some heavy hitters, that I'm sure wasn't expected. So don't be to cavalier about Hass's Indy effort. It could lead to another defection, and another smart business move...

Danica Patrick
Old 27 Mar 2004, 15:55 (Ref:921326)   #3
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lets hope its the end of Haas in that other series. Usually when they enter Indy they are in the IRL next year (Penske, Ganassi, Team Green). I would imagine they would want to compete against Castroneves, Kaanan, Schechkter, Franchite, Hornish and Dixon instead of Lavin, Firman, Keohane, Philippe, Sperafico, Gonzalez and Dominguez.
Old 27 Mar 2004, 17:10 (Ref:921374)   #4
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have they actually made this official yet? I think people have been expecting this for over a year, so if and when they do, it won't be a surprise. If it becomes a full-time Indy Car team, it could be the end of Newman-Haas racing, which would be a dreadful shame. Paul seems to prefer competing against Tracy, Hunter-Reay, Vasser, Allmendinger and Wilson rather than Barron, Buhl, Foyt and Takagi. Touché
Old 27 Mar 2004, 17:22 (Ref:921380)   #5
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gee,Testure, you forgot to mention Kanaan, Hornish, Schekter, Dixon, and Castoneves.
(but you also left out, on the OWRS side, such luminaries as Lavin )
The Indy rumour isn't official, but the entries for the Indy 500 just started coming in just a couple of weeks ago. I can't remember when the deadline is, but I think competitors have until sometime next month to complete it.
Old 27 Mar 2004, 17:51 (Ref:921394)   #6
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for reminder, MLM My point was that we can all choose to emphasise the (how to put this delicately...) "wheat" versus the "chaff" in our sports of choice. Newmans's 79 now, but I would hope that he remains involved in racing for a while longer in some form or other. Perhaps GARRA, given his Daytona entry...
Old 27 Mar 2004, 21:27 (Ref:921515)   #7
MLM
Veteran

De nada, Testure.
Man, when I saw your mention of Newman being 79,I almost thought you had written "GERITOL" instead of GARRA,hehe Unbelieveable...he's the "Energizier Bunny" in human form
BTW, zerO, I'm not panicking in ANY way. If Bruno goes to Indy (which we have been discussing for a few months now, BTW), fine with me
ps...GP check your PMs
Old 29 Mar 2004, 12:39 (Ref:922807)   #8
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zero I also knew that Haas is gonna be at Indy, but it sounds completely new to me that their drivers would run Dallara cars: from what I know they'll just retain the GForce they used las year for that test at Fontana.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:37 (Ref:923104)   #9
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Well, zero, this is hardly a silly escapade, and really, you should give a damn, because this could be the beginning of the end for Newman-Hass racing in CART.

Whether you like it or not, or care to admit it, the Indy 500 is still THE race to be seen in, and its easily the most important open wheel race in the world. The fact that Hass wants to be there, against the wishes of his partner, does not bode well for Newman-Hass Racing. Racing at Indy will give both Hass and Bruno, an IRL option, should OWRS go under or fail to produce a series thats even worth being a part of. Bruno already showed interest in the IRL, when he showed up at Phoenix during testing.

Your series already lost some heavy hitters, that I'm sure wasn't expected. So don't be to cavalier about Hass's Indy effort. It could lead to another defection, and another smart business move...

Actually I'm pretty sure that next year we will see Haas in IRL on full-time basis - this speculation has been around for quite some time and is expected, it isn't going to be any shocker when it happens and is irrelevant as to whether CART/OWRS succeeds this year or not. And Paul Newman is very well aware of this and am pretty confindent that he has a contingency plan all set - Mario Andretti's name comes to mind here.

Although I've said "I don't care", ofcourse I do, otherwise why would I write that post, what I mean is that it won't be a huge loss nor hurt to CCWS - Paul Newman is fully capable of carrying this team through (I think).

zerO
Old 29 Mar 2004, 17:44 (Ref:923116)   #10
zerO
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Zero I also knew that Haas is gonna be at Indy, but it sounds completely new to me that their drivers would run Dallara cars: from what I know they'll just retain the GForce they used las year for that test at Fontana.
Word is Haas got rid of the GForces & Yoda engines - the new package will be Dallara-Honda... how did Haas get away from Yoda's grasp is beyond me - lots of BS shenaningas ar going on in TG's Sushi contingent infested little toy series ?!

zerO
Old 29 Mar 2004, 18:14 (Ref:923151)   #11
MLM
Veteran

zerO, if you're going to bash TG and the IRL, I suggest you do it in the CART forum
(and believe me, I usually don't my knickers in a wad if something is in the "wrong forum" )
If you want to discuss things in an adult manner, then fine...because the 1st part of your post was interesing.

Robin Miller said that HONDA was suppliying N-H's effort which really took me aback.
The original rumour was that CH made a deal with Toyota for da Matta's services in F1.
I haven't heard any confirmation about the switch to Honda OR Dallara....like you,just rumours.

Last edited by MLM; 29 Mar 2004 at 18:18.
Old 29 Mar 2004, 21:55 (Ref:923392)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by zerO
Actually I'm pretty sure that next year we will see Haas in IRL on full-time basis - this speculation has been around for quite some time and is expected, it isn't going to be any shocker when it happens and is irrelevant as to whether CART/OWRS succeeds this year or not. And Paul Newman is very well aware of this and am pretty confindent that he has a contingency plan all set - Mario Andretti's name comes to mind here.

Although I've said "I don't care", ofcourse I do, otherwise why would I write that post, what I mean is that it won't be a huge loss nor hurt to CCWS - Paul Newman is fully capable of carrying this team through (I think).

zerO
Hmmm, you really think there will be a 2005 season for OWRS?

Well, if you lose Hass, it will be another crippling blow, in a string of many. Remember, your placing all of your faith on a 79 year old man(God Bless him!)Paul Newman. He could just call it quits at anytime, and as for Mario stepping in, I doubt it. Hasn't he always said he's not big on the business side of racing?

Danica Patrick
Old 30 Mar 2004, 00:20 (Ref:923466)   #13
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
God knows, I have no love for Tony George, but I have to acknowledge that the IRL is a serious, credible championship of international standing.

Some of us need to grow up a bit.
Old 30 Mar 2004, 01:55 (Ref:923524)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan
God knows, I have no love for Tony George, but I have to acknowledge that the IRL is a serious, credible championship of international standing.
There's no doubt about that!

The fact that Scott Dixon may earn himself a ride in F1, through his IRL championship, proves that the international racing community is taking the IRL seriously. Also Autosport Magazine named 5 IRL drivers to their top 50 drivers list, and rated them quite highly. There has also been a big influx of international drivers to the series also. This forum itself, also shows that the IRL has many fans from around the world.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed, and hope for a return to the glory days, or something close to it anyway.

Danica Patrick
Old 31 Mar 2004, 14:37 (Ref:925296)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Hmmm, you really think there will be a 2005 season for OWRS?
Most defiantely so