Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 30 May 2005, 11:45 (Ref:1314585)   #1
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
AJ Foyt IV just doesn't have the talent

This guy is going to get someone killed sooner rather than later. He's like a mobile chicane out there, and doesn't have the awareness or the speed to warrant being in the car.

When I think of guys like Buddy Lazier, who don't have a full time ride, it makes AJ IV's presence in the field that much more unjust.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:11 (Ref:1314603)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
AJ really was forced into this game too quickly. Being a former IPS Champ, I always thought the speed was hidden in there somewhere...but what he did to Bruno was inexcusable.

And this wasn't even his first race, this is his third year in the series...the boy needs to be replaced. Bring on Buddy Lazier.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:28 (Ref:1314613)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thing is - will "old AJ" be prepared to fire his grandson?
Old 30 May 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1314614)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also didn't like the way he tried to get out of causing the incident. He was also being lapped and was lucky Bruno wasn't fataly injured after he took him out.

I hope you recover as soon as possible Bruno.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1314618)   #5
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Thing is - will "old AJ" be prepared to fire his grandson?
He's given him stick in the past, last year in the 500 comes to mind. He's had three years now, and to still make a 'rookie' error like that imo "old AJ" should replace him, Jeff Simons or even Buddy or Jacque Lazier comes to mind.
Old 30 May 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1314650)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The fact that AJIV is "Old AJ's" grandson is probably the only reason he hasn't been fired thus far...
Old 30 May 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1314681)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we have to look at the circumstances young AJ is driving under.

He's on a team that has no money, no engine support, no sponsor, and most importantly, no engineer. Grandpa is trying to teach him how to drive by the seat-of-his-pants, just like he did, except that doesn't work anymore. He needs an engineer to set that car up, period. I feel that it has to be much harder to be out there in such a slow, badly set-up car, constantly trying to avoid cars going much faster than you are, than having a car that can actually race someone. Remember, we've never seen AJ actually race anyone, he's always to slow to do that!

Other teams have shown interest in him, so he must have something there. But I agree, that AJ needs to keep it clean from here on in, no more excuses. I to wish Bruno a quick and speedy recovery...

Now, can we talk about Danica taking out 4 top 10 running cars?

Danica Patrick
Old 30 May 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1314688)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Danica is in her 4th IndyCar start, not her 3rd season - therefore a "rookie mistake" is to be expected.
Old 30 May 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1314696)   #9
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
Other teams have shown interest in him, so he must have something there.
A marketable name.
Old 30 May 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1314704)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Danica is in her 4th IndyCar start, not her 3rd season - therefore a "rookie mistake" is to be expected.
I could very well be wrong, but I think the problem lies more with AJ senior than I do with young Anthony. I'd like to see what Anthony can do in a real car before passing judgement on his career. I don't think any of the top drivers in the top teams would do very well in a Foyt "engineered" car.

Speaking of bad drives, so many drivers dropped out of the race, but due to the terrible TV coverage, we never found out why. What happened to Manning, Ward, Bucknam, and some of the other backmarkers?

Danica Patrick
Old 30 May 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1314722)   #11
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with GP. As I have said before, each race AJ senior remains an owner devalues his racing legend a bit more. His attitude seems to be summed up as: "If it worked for me it should work for you."

Well, times have changed. AJ needs to either get with it, or get out of it by getting someone to run the operation and being a "figurehead."

If I were an owner in this series, I would get the other owners together, get AJ in a room, close the door and not leave until he agrees to raise his team's game so no one gets clobbered again.

I think AJ IV has the talent - he needs to get far, far away from his pap-pap!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 May 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1314762)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Once you've been there for over 2 years, you should have some idea what you're doing for yourself, even if the team situation around you isn't ideal. At the very least you shouldn't be a danger to the other drivers - he may ahve a amrketable name, but how marketable would he have been if Burno's injuries had been fatal or permenant?
Old 30 May 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1314797)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
A big part of the problem is the difference between the top teams, like AGR, RL, and Penske, and the not so good teams, like Foyt, D&R, and Helmegarn is now so glaringly disparite in there speed and handling, that accidents like AJ's are becoming more frequent and harder to avoid.

AJ may have been here for two years, but he has never actually "raced" here. All he can do is get on the track and do his best to stay out of the way. Thats no way to improve your skills, or show what you can do. I think its far more difficult to be in a slow, bad handling car than it is to be in a fast, competitive one. On ovals, as the race goes on, and cars spread out, he and the other backmarkers have to constantly be looking in the rear view mirrors, hoping to avoid cars whizzing past them. I don't envy him...

Danica Patrick
Old 31 May 2005, 08:23 (Ref:1315441)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
If I were an owner in this series, I would get the other owners together, get AJ in a room, close the door and not leave until he agrees to raise his team's game so no one gets clobbered again.

I think AJ IV has the talent - he needs to get far, far away from his pap-pap!
Jeez John thats a game move LOL , how many team owners would emerge I wonder AJ would eat them alive

but i do agree , I was never a fan of AJ it all happened before my time so I am not influeneced by his history and in fact i must be honest and say i never saw him drive a decent race (simply because of my age)

it is a shame that his empire has degraded to what it has and honestly i think AJ IV does have some talent for this level though that is debatable , I think he needs a new team and some good engineers around him to make him even more competitive.

I hope some changes happen
Old 31 May 2005, 10:21 (Ref:1315550)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
marcus:

I think faced with "reality" AJ would grumble, blow a gasket or have a tantrum. But - it needs to be done. He is no longer larger-than-life in this series and it is past the time when that needs to be pointed out to him.

One of the advantages to being old enough to have delivered the table and chairs used for the Last Supper is that I remember AJ back "when." Believe me, you would have been impressed!!

They are still talking about the USAC race at Brands Hatch where he consistently had his champ car airborn at one of the corners (can't recall which). He was a dynamic driver, pure magic behind the wheel and I would love to remember him that way instead of as a caricature of himself playing "Legend/Team Owner."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 May 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1315612)   #16
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has the Foyt team ever been succesful against a field of any real quality, no matter who was driving? AJIV has showed potential at times, but it's still surprising that he makes mistakes, especially while being lapped as (as already stated) he's had more practice at that than most. It's no exaggeration to say that he came very close to facing a manslaughter charge (which would not have been justified, motor racing is dangerous, but certain people in law and politics wouldn't respect this fact, even though I'm sure Bruno does).
Old 31 May 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1315629)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
I could very well be wrong, but I think the problem lies more with AJ senior than I do with young Anthony. I'd like to see what Anthony can do in a real car before passing judgement on his career. I don't think any of the top drivers in the top teams would do very well in a Foyt "engineered" car.

Speaking of bad drives, so many drivers dropped out of the race, but due to the terrible TV coverage, we never found out why. What happened to Manning, Ward, Bucknam, and some of the other backmarkers?

Manning went out on lap 82...mechanical failure of some sort

Jeff Ward -- Lap 92...Handling issues

Jeff Bucknum -- he was the third car that was taken out in the "Danica Incident" on lap 150, along with Enge and Scheckter...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 31 May 2005, 14:00 (Ref:1315818)   #18
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Facts are that AJ IV is in his third year... he either needs to get out of the car or get in a better ride.

What is worse, though, it's that for young fans the Foyt surname is now almost a joke. AJ still holds the record for most wins in AAA/USAC/CART/etc, he's won many Indy 500s, Bräck also won with Foyt as an owner... but by not hiring engineers his grandson is a liability on track.

I hadn't seen the crash until yesterday, and I'm amazed at the strength of the Panoz chassis combined with the SAFER barrier. Such a violent impact.
Old 31 May 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1315838)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i have said this from day one.
IV has little talent to be at this level, he has no hunger to better or even be there, he is simply there because he can be. He is a constant chicane in the Indy 500's and is very dangerous. I would rather remmeber the AJ Foyt name in glory than disgrace. This is the worst example of Rich kid with a name getting somewhere, and yet no where in the same effort.
Old 31 May 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1315959)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
IWell, times have changed. AJ needs to either get with it, or get out of it by getting someone to run the operation and being a "figurehead."
I think you're on the right track. Remember when Penske was have so much trouble succeeding? He checked his ego at the door, brought in some help and ditched the custom chasis. AJ obviously has something to offer, but perhaps he could step back a little and bring in some help.
Old 31 May 2005, 16:28 (Ref:1315962)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Good news!

Newman/Haas driver Bruno Junqueira has undergone a successful surgery to repair spinal fractures suffered in his heavy hit at the 77th lap of yesterday’s Indianapolis 500. The Brazilian driver suffered a concussion and fractures to the T-12 and L-1 vertebrae, after the lapped car of A.J. Foyt IV failed to see Junqueira overtaking him on the inside, touching wheels with the Brazilian’s Panoz-Honda.

Junqueira’s car hit the wall head-on and spun around its own axis twice before coming to a halt. He was operated by Dr. Terry Trammell at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

The 28-year-old’s quest to finally win his first Champ Car title after three consecutive runner-up seasons is most likely over, as Junqueira will now begin physiotherapy to fully recover from his injuries. He is certain to miss at the very least this weekend’s round three of the Champ Car World Series at the Milwaukee Mile and round four at Portland two weeks after that.

The Brazilian, who has no recollection whatsoever of the accident or his time on-track at Indy, currently leads the CCWS’s standings with 59 points. He is expected to be released from Methodist Hospital by the end of this week.

Danica Patrick