Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 May 2004, 10:16 (Ref:967430)   #1
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mondello HSCC - Likely to happen again?

I've posted a similar question over on the GT board. There seems to have been an unbelievable absence of feedback or discussion about last weekends combined Brit GT/HSCC meeting at Mondello...maybe symptomatic of the lack of historic entries that made the trip. I really feel that this package if wholeheartedly supported by the majority of HSCC regulars could become one of those must do weekends.Is it just a matter of transport costs that held people back...when comparing the Historic Formula Ford grid from Cadwell a couple of weeks back to the numbers at Mondello it was somewhat embarassing and I know the organisers at the track felt more than a little disappointed. Thank goodness that all there put on a sterling show on the track.

http://www.paulsands.org/mondello/hi.../historic.html
Old 11 May 2004, 10:50 (Ref:967476)   #2
Masser
Rookie

Masser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one enjoyed it. Yes the grids were a little low on numbers but the quality of the cars, drivers and races was exceptional. I can understand why more HSCC competitors did not travel, why should they have to fit around the punishing timetable of the British GT Championship. I have nothing against the GT's, quite the contrary, their two races were excellent. I do not know the politics behind the decision to spilt two very successful packages and make one reasonable one but I would question its rational.

Now if you could get the full HSCC grids for the Phoenix Park motor races, that would be an unmissable weekend, don't get me started on that....

I very much hope that the HSCC does return and I look forward to it.
Old 11 May 2004, 11:04 (Ref:967494)   #3
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When and what are the Phoenix Park races you're talking about...my wife was badgering me last night syaing "so we're going back to Ireland this weekend are we"

Could F3's run around Mondello? It might make more sense to have the GT/F3 package as it usual is as one event with a full on HSCC as it's own seperate event...however given that my great loves are GT racing and historic races this has the potential to be a dream come true..I couldnt believe it when I first saw the combination
Old 11 May 2004, 11:43 (Ref:967539)   #4
Masser
Rookie

The Phoenix Park motor races.... let me see where do I start.

The Phoenix Park is Europe's largest city park and is in the middle of Dublin. The first motor sport event took place in the Park in 1903 (Gordon Bennett time trial, first 60 second mile recorded (anorak off!!))In 1929, 30 and 31 there were Grand Prix held in the Phoenix Park. Since then there motor races have been held for one weekend each year. It is a road circuit which is surrounded by mature oak trees, gas lamps, park benches and for spectator it is completely free. In the mid 90's Rothmans gave great sponsorship and brought over the William test car driven by J.C. Boullian (spelling??) It attacked a crowd of about 100,000!!!

The Phoenix Park is where I got my first taste of motor sport, the smell of fresh cut grass and Castrol R is a magic mix and gets me to this day. I remember the days of Supersports on a closed park road in the centre of Dublin. To me it should be like the Goodwood Festival of Speed and Revival rolled into one meeting. As you will have guessed by now I am a big fan of the venue and you should go at least once to experience it for yourself.

This year is the 75th anniversary of the 1929 Grand Prix and will be held on 17/18 July, the details are at http://www.motorsportireland.com/htm...park_2004.html

I think the GT and F3's were to run together but the F3's pulled out, I don't know why.
Old 11 May 2004, 12:01 (Ref:967554)   #5
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
didn't you used to have an F3 or F2 race at Phoenix in the late 70's?
Old 11 May 2004, 13:10 (Ref:967646)   #6
Masser
Rookie

I don't think there were ever offical F3 or F2 races but I do recall the Formula Atlantic races which were titanic.
Old 11 May 2004, 13:22 (Ref:967654)   #7
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
That'll be them (F2 in all but name really) I remember the reports in Autosport..didnt Eddie Jordan race Atlantics there?
Old 11 May 2004, 13:43 (Ref:967680)   #8
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Modern F3s would not run at Phoenix Park...it would be deemed too dangerous. However, I do know from Sam Stretton that it is an exciting place to race historics and the events there are very popular.

Mention of Mondello, British GTs and the HSCC begs the ? what is happening to modern motorsport? I know from conversations with leading figures in British motorsport that there is considerable concern regarding the split of the British Championship F3 and GT series. The feeling is that the standing of both has been compromised. That said mixing historics and modern racing can be good. I thought last year's Silverstone meeting in May that combined the aforesaid championships with historics worked really well.

With reference to Mondello and the HSCC...what about an event where the HSCC and the VSCC combine to run a weekend over there. If they could secure some support re discounted ferry fares it could be a winner.
Old 11 May 2004, 14:38 (Ref:967721)   #9
Masser
Rookie

Paul, Eddie Jordan did indeed racr F. Atlantic in the lat 70's and did race in the Phoenix Park. I have some old programs at home that I must dig out.

The Phoenix Park is much more suited to Historic racing and you do get large amouts of spectators.

A mixture of HSCC and VSCC would be an ideal mix for Mondello, however I think the circuit may be a bit to twisty for the vintage cars who might prefer more flowing circuits. I personally would love to see the VSCC in either Mondello or the Phoenix Park.... an aero engined Bentley echoing through the trees ahhhh yes...
Old 12 May 2004, 11:24 (Ref:968570)   #10
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Just spread the word how good it was. Mondello was pleased with the HSCC races in terms of the spectacle, driving standards and remarked to me how friendly and courteous our competitors are! We just need more people prepared to make the trip if it's going to happen again.
Old 12 May 2004, 11:57 (Ref:968607)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
I will be badgering next time I'm HSCC'ing, unfortunately I have to miss the Silverstone meeting as I'm in France