Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2013, 11:35 (Ref:3236156)   #176
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Now there's talk about Hankook being the F1 tyre supplier for 2014-2016!
Is that good or bad news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Have had Hankook on my road car and my track car, and was impressed with their road tyres. Their track tyres were... ok.
We (me and my bro) used (and I do mean 'used') some Hankook road tyres on an Imprezza. They were crap, but their track tyre was pretty good. We got rid of the Imprezza because spending more on power meant spending twice as much on clutches.

The Pirelli's on my Ducati were doing an extremely good job, both on the road and on the track, and perhaps that's no surprise since they are currently the tyre manufacturer of choice in world super bikes. But, in all likelihood, one road tyre is just as good as any other, unless you happen to have bought some Chinese replica tyres. Having said that, we put some 'Triangle Talon' tyres on the Imprezza when we sold it. Its new owner, AFAIK, is still alive.

Unfortunately, I am still not able to ride my 'Duke' because of illness. But it does mean that I have more time to post on this thread.

Last edited by Marbot; 18 Apr 2013 at 11:43.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3236794)   #177
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I had Michelin fronts and some really cheap branded tyres on the rear of my old Golf GT (I think they were something like Chengshang) anyway, they made the car incredibly lively, fantastic fun, but probably quite dangerous in the wrong hands.
Old 19 Apr 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3236822)   #178
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Get you!
Old 20 Apr 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3237009)   #179
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Brundle just saying there he heard Pirelli have been signed up for the next five years.

Fuuuuuuuuu.....
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:48 (Ref:3237021)   #180
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Brundle just saying there he heard Pirelli have been signed up for the next five years.

Fuuuuuuuuu.....
Christ , I hope not .
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:56 (Ref:3237023)   #181
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
There is no doubt in my mind that Pirelli can manufacture a tyre to last a whole race..

Its the constant tweaking I don't care for.. Please make up your minds and then leave them alone for heavens sake..
Old 20 Apr 2013, 14:16 (Ref:3237036)   #182
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that Pirelli can manufacture a tyre to last a whole race..

Its the constant tweaking I don't care for.. Please make up your minds and then leave them alone for heavens sake..
Cedrtainly they do, but they don't want that to happen.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3237038)   #183
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Cedrtainly they do, but they don't want that to happen.
It's rather a clever ploy, because look at all the publicity they get..
Old 20 Apr 2013, 14:58 (Ref:3237041)   #184
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's rather a clever ploy, because look at all the publicity they get..
At least here at Tenths...
Old 20 Apr 2013, 16:16 (Ref:3237057)   #185
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bahrain GP: Pirelli says debris caused Lewis Hamilton's tyre drama

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106928

In Jerez it was caused by bad asphalt
In BCN by cool temps
In Australia can't remember the excuse
Now it's debris

Paul Hembery should try Politics, he is very good finding something to blame and not taking responsibility
Old 20 Apr 2013, 16:31 (Ref:3237061)   #186
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
A piece of metal on the track, really ?
Old 20 Apr 2013, 17:17 (Ref:3237068)   #187
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
A piece of metal on the track, really ?
More poor excuses from Pirelli , why don't they just admit the tyres are made of Dairylea ?
Old 20 Apr 2013, 17:30 (Ref:3237072)   #188
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't know, it could be...
But it's very strange, and to be honest I can't trust this guy anymore.

Hamilton also had part of the tyre detach and flying over the car in Malaysian FP3 if I remember correctly (can't find a video)
Old 20 Apr 2013, 17:39 (Ref:3237076)   #189
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Having to take a grid drop because of that is ridiculous.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 17:56 (Ref:3237083)   #190
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I agree..
Old 20 Apr 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3237099)   #191
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hrm...

FOTA (as was), FOM and the FIA asked Pirelli to make tyres to their specifications. They did.

They then asked for the spec to be changed, and Pirelli did that too.

They then decided that some compounds were too durable and didn't get hot enough, so asked Pirelli to make them softer again, and that happened.

Why are Pirelli, and Hembery specifically, catching all the flak for doing as their contract terms dictate?
Old 20 Apr 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3237112)   #192
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Hrm...

FOTA (as was), FOM and the FIA asked Pirelli to make tyres to their specifications. They did.

They then decided that some compounds were too durable and didn't get hot enough, so asked Pirelli to make them softer again, and that happened.

Why are Pirelli, and Hembery specifically, catching all the flak for doing as their contract terms dictate?
Ok FOM and FIA enough messing about now , tell Pirelli to make tyres that can actually be raced on .
Old 20 Apr 2013, 19:42 (Ref:3237113)   #193
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Hrm...

You are right Greem, and I have said this all along..If we need gimmicks to make the racing enjoyable, then we have a huge problem..
Old 20 Apr 2013, 22:12 (Ref:3237155)   #194
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

The reason Pirelli and that joker they have fronting their racing division are taking the flack is because they are dumb enough to bend over and take this nonsense.

Michelin and Bridgestone ran away as quickly as they could and yet this pack of dribblers couldn't get in fast enough. They also appear to think they are the saviours of F1 for some bizarre reason, as if they are doing everyone a great favour by being around.

I simply laugh at Pirelli now. They can't be taken seriously at all. Ha. Ha ha. HA!
Old 21 Apr 2013, 01:29 (Ref:3237210)   #195
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Saviours ? If they think so, they should go try run their own series and leave F1 alone, we don't want saviours like that.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 16:32 (Ref:3237404)   #196
jsTrecu
Veteran

Again some "mysterious thing" cutted the tyres and caused punctures on Massa's car.
Maybe it was the same supposed "metal debris" that ruined Ham's weekend yesterday, that today chose Massa as his prey, twice

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106967
Old 21 Apr 2013, 18:15 (Ref:3237454)   #197
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

It's a joke this situation.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 23:31 (Ref:3237587)   #198
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Pirelli are the Liverpool Football Club of tyre manufacturers. Always the victims. Never their fault.
Old 22 Apr 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3237616)   #199
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Pirelli are the Liverpool Football Club of tyre manufacturers. Always the victims. Never their fault.
Ouch!

No team as so far come forward to say that the Pirelli tyres delaminated because of excess wear or heat build up. Some teams went through the whole of the Bahrain GP on just two tyre stops with no problems whatsoever, not even excessive degradation. Some teams, and drivers, have some homework to do.

Pirelli really ought to bring more durable tyres to the races so that we can see more of what happened today, happen for the rest of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22204087
Old 22 Apr 2013, 01:46 (Ref:3237646)   #200
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Pirelli really ought to bring more durable tyres to the races so that we can see more of what happened today, happen for the rest of the season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22204087
Much respect for Gary Anderson, he knows more about F1 then i could ever hope too, but the point he is making is exactly the underlaying point many of us have been making for some time now.

Certainly any change in compounds will affect one team over another one and there is nothing sporting in that but this is what Pirelli have already been doing each year whether it be by design, mandate, or accident when they bring new compounds designed to make the racing more 'exciting'.

Between the rules governing the use of both compounds, the q3 rules, and their marginal nature each team has already been given advantages and disadvantages. Changing that parameter each year only further adds to the randomness because no team can prepare for it simply because they have already spent so much time deveolping their cars before they see the tires. So how different is it to change them in the middle of the year?

The tires need to provide a better balance and they need to be a neutral variable and not an 'evolution' from year to year. Anyways this is the message I took from that article. In fairness the article doesn't make the case that the tires are good (if anything it acknowledges that there is something wrong with them) but rather it is saying we just need to ride it out now...in other words it's just the lesser of two evils imo. Hardly a defence of the Pirelli philosophy.