Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jul 2003, 18:33 (Ref:651178)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
New 2004 car for LM/LMES

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=06286681

New 2004 spec car to run in LM and LMES
Old 3 Jul 2003, 18:41 (Ref:651194)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That announcement raises more questions than it answers....

Are they going to buy something from an existing builder??

Are they going to commission someone to design, then take to a fabricator to build one??

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 3 Jul 2003, 18:50 (Ref:651203)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't they modify their 333SP on their own? I think Dallara may have something to do with it, given their efforts of the past couple of years, Toyota GT-One, Audi R8, Crysler LMP.....
Old 3 Jul 2003, 19:01 (Ref:651216)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe they did, Pirenzo, but that story makes it sound like they will be running a new 2004 specs car....

You can modify what you have already gotten from a manufacturer to a degree, unless the changes could be substantial enough that would warrant having it crash tested...

But I think you almost have to be licenced or approved as a builder to create a totally new product on your own...

I thought Durango had to go through such an approval process first

Old 3 Jul 2003, 19:16 (Ref:651229)   #5
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a new 2004 customer car from an nunamed manufactuer.

My guess is Piper. They announced a while back they had sold one 2004 car to a current FIA SCC team.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 18:54 (Ref:656112)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
Just heard that Lister WILL be racing in the 2004 LMES with there LMP.

Last edited by JAG; 8 Jul 2003 at 18:55.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 19:05 (Ref:656124)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
From what I understand the Lister was built to the 2004 regs and can be eaisly change from present car into a LMP car.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 19:25 (Ref:656150)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
I'll bet you're right on the Piper for GLV, Jag...that makes perfect sense...

And I understood that the Lister had that flexibility, too....

Old 8 Jul 2003, 19:27 (Ref:656151)   #9
JAG
Veteran

England
Cars can be changed to 2004 spec.

However cars can also run in 2003 spec also, with 2003 power levels, which is 10% less power than a 2004 car.

2003 cars may also run with a wooden plank under the car or smaller fuels tanks to make sure the 2004 cars are significantly quicker.

Lister may well choose to convert there car to 2004 spec seeing as it is brnad new.

Last edited by JAG; 8 Jul 2003 at 19:29.
Old 8 Jul 2003, 19:55 (Ref:656175)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
A question I have asked at various points since the new regs were announced, but has never been answered yet is:

Exactly how difficult would that conversion of a 2003 chassis to meet 2004 specs be???

and how much would the design alterations change the overal aero efficiency or the geometry of the chassis itself???

Would these changes cause other aero issues or problems and anyone miught be aware of????

Any insight would be appreciated...

Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:28 (Ref:656970)   #11
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
A question I have asked at various points since the new regs were announced, but has never been answered yet is:

Exactly how difficult would that conversion of a 2003 chassis to meet 2004 specs be???

and how much would the design alterations change the overal aero efficiency or the geometry of the chassis itself???

Would these changes cause other aero issues or problems and anyone miught be aware of????

Any insight would be appreciated...
Not sure to be honest, but from the litle I've read the changes are pretty major. Otherwise why not just tweek the current regulations.

Cockpit regulations are changing as well as the underside of the car with partial tunnels which I suspect would be pretty hard to put on a current car without major changes.

Plus i believe there are new or at least more stringent crash tests.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 15:47 (Ref:657002)   #12
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Sounds like a conversion would certainly affect balance, aero, and overal chassis geometry quite a bit....

It also sounds lik ethe changes would open a whole Pandora's box of scenarios to deal with on an exisiting chassis, when the better approach would probably be to build new from the ground up....

Old 9 Jul 2003, 16:36 (Ref:657050)   #13
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is what Lavaggi and his Team Manager Achim Stroth also told me at the Lausitzring. That they intend go rest the 333SP at the end of 2003 "when we are able to build a new car" (watch the conditional!)
Old 9 Jul 2003, 18:20 (Ref:657153)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
"When we are able to build a new car".....

Raises the same questions in my mind stated earlier...

Don't you have to be a "Licensed" builder to build a car that is going to compete in this series???? You can "revise" an established chassis, provided those changes don't call for another crash test...
Durango finally got that license at the beginning of the year...now they are a "builder"

Another Question:

Does anyone know if the Piper will remain as an open-cockpit car, or will it get a greenhouse?

Old 9 Jul 2003, 18:27 (Ref:657161)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
What do you mean by a licensed builder.

Don't you just build a car and get it crash tested?

If you have the capability to build a car wouldn't the so called license be automatically given?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 18:34 (Ref:657175)   #16
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
well, think about the R&M chassis, as it was an adaptation of the R&S Mk IIIA, was that one ever crash-tested?
Old 9 Jul 2003, 18:42 (Ref:657188)   #17
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The way I understand it, if changes are made that would not affect the car's ability to withstand an impact, then it does not have to be re-tested....

The Robinson racing changes to the R&S chassis were substantial...a total restructuring of the car's entire nose are from the suspension forward...that kind of change would cause re-testing the car...

R&M's changes were basic aero changes to the back of the car to lengthen the tail, etc., that would not necessarily warant a re-test...Pescarolo's aero changes, etc., to the Courage apparently did not warrant such re-testing, either...

All I do know is that Durango supposedly had to wait for the approval and to be "licensed" by whoever (the FIA?) to be a "Builder"....

Maybe

Old 9 Jul 2003, 19:11 (Ref:657221)   #18
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and reading a lot of the back-n-forth about the Robinson Mk IIIc awhile back, many thought it was ACOs fault for not giving them a "free pass" for running at LeMans or the ALMS. It was these issues about the chassis changes that were at the center of it.

In reference to the changes to the R&M, Pescarolo/Courage, RfH Dome/Judd, even the Panoz LMP01 & Audi R8, these were all evolutionary in aero designs, which don't require a lot in that venue of testing.
Old 9 Jul 2003, 20:23 (Ref:657298)   #19
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
That's the way I understood it, too....

But I would like some clarification on this "license" thing....

Durango wasn't considered a "Builder" until they got it in January...even though they took that chassis and revised it over the past couple of years.

Old 10 Jul 2003, 13:48 (Ref:657913)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
And it looks like Luchinni will be making a new LMP2.

LMP2 looks like it may well become an affordable LMP class to back up the LMP1s.

Plus of course it allows all of those smaller Luchinni teams an opportunity to race in the LMES next year, which is welcome.

Last edited by JAG; 10 Jul 2003 at 13:50.