Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 19 Aug 2018, 16:42 (Ref:3844721)   #1
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ryan Lawford Memorial RX & BTRDA RX R7

Its only 3 weeks until the BTRDA Rallycross Championship returns to Lydden Hill for the first time in 6 years.

Event is also being run as a memorial event for Ryan Lawford and will include a SueprFinal and Trophy in his name.

Amazing entry lsit so far; 80 entries across 5 categories, including 8 European drivers on the list so far, and nearly 34 SuperModified cars, Still time for it to increase as entries close on 31st August.

https://clubmansrallycross.weebly.co...dden-hill.html

Action starts 9am, tickets available from the Lydden site soon....
Old 19 Aug 2018, 17:21 (Ref:3844737)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems interesting that BTRDA can get a far better modified class going.

Would this be the right place to ask why these two series are not combined?

And even if not, could someone tell people who dont know why?
Old 21 Aug 2018, 12:40 (Ref:3845199)   #3
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Seems interesting that BTRDA can get a far better modified class going.

Would this be the right place to ask why these two series are not combined?

And even if not, could someone tell people who dont know why?
The regs in BTRDA Supermods are slightly more open.
Basically MSA regs say the engine has to have the same amount of cylinders as engines originally fitted in that model, but BTRDA regs were changed a few years ago to allow different configurations as long as they were from the same maufacturer.
To put it simply ......
Ford Fiesta mk3 - MSA any four clylinder engine from any manufacturer
Ford Fiesta mk3 - BTRDA any four cylinder engine fron any manufacturer or any ford engine

The reasoning behing this change was when a competitor wanted to fit a 6 pot Vauxhall engine into an Astra but wasn't allowed, yet I can run a Mitsi engine in a Fiesta.
So the rules were opened up a little to make things a little more sensible and fair.

As for running both series together ...... this would be impossible at Lydden.
The MSA meeting in August has 82 entries spread over 6 catagories, and the BTRDA one 12 days later is looking like having 85+ over 5 catagories, and there are only a handful of people doing both meetings.
If the meetings were combined there would be more than 130 competitors, so there would be not enough time.

At the present time Pembrey is the only place where a combined meeting would be possible even then time would be tight, unless you ran BTRDA one day and MSA the other.
Old 21 Aug 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3845224)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol, my point being more, that there does not need to be two series running separately perhaps?
Old 21 Aug 2018, 17:28 (Ref:3845244)   #5
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Lol, my point being more, that there does not need to be two series running separately perhaps?
So you think that one championship could give 140 plus competitors ranging from the several hundred thousand pound supercar drivers right down to the two thousand pound production racer what they are looking for, and cater for everyone.

I think that is a little naive thinking and would be very interested as to how you would propose it worked.
Old 22 Aug 2018, 06:20 (Ref:3845321)   #6
mivec
Racer

Belgium
Belgium
mivec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same situation in Begium, "Regional" championship and a "National" championship.

The front runners from the Regional championship are also very fast in the National championship.
Old 28 Aug 2018, 20:43 (Ref:3846780)   #7
AlamakiRX
Racer

AlamakiRX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry list and event information updated;

Nearly 90 cars

9 European 2wd competitors including NEZ Super1600 Champion, plus drivers from Lativa, Norway, Germany and Belguim.

https://clubmansrallycross.weebly.co...dden-hill.html
Old 9 Sep 2018, 20:54 (Ref:3849068)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Cracking days racing at Lydden - really good close racing throughout the classes, hopefully the BTRDA championship will be back at Lydden next year.

Felt really sorry for the Norgwegian guy with the big Volvo - to come all that way and have the engine let go in the first race was a real shame for him. Some others with mechanical problems throughout the day and a couple of big offs too.

The production 4x4 grid was pretty small and got smaller as the day went - the final was just 3 cars but what a race! Nice selection of cars throughout the other classes - it'd be interesting to see how some of those supermodifieds would get in the MSA championship.

I'll post some photos once I've sorted them out.
Old 10 Sep 2018, 19:30 (Ref:3849253)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
As promised - a few snaps from the day.....
Attached Thumbnails
a1.JPG   A4.JPG   a2.JPG  

F1.JPG   F2.JPG   E1.JPG  

Old 12 Sep 2018, 09:31 (Ref:3849572)   #10
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Brilliant pictures Bert

Sorry we didn't get chance to chat at lunchtime, or make a brew my main focus was getting the car fixed in time for the finals
Old 12 Sep 2018, 10:50 (Ref:3849589)   #11
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great pictures Bert, I was a bit in love with that yellow Exige, really like that shot of it leading the pack!
Old 12 Sep 2018, 11:04 (Ref:3849590)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
Brilliant pictures Bert

Sorry we didn't get chance to chat at lunchtime, or make a brew my main focus was getting the car fixed in time for the finals
Ta If people are laying underneath their car I tend to assume they've got better things to do than talk to me (although thinking about it I should probably have been making the tea ). Was it a recurrence of the same problem in the final?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Great pictures Bert, I was a bit in love with that yellow Exige, really like that shot of it leading the pack!
Ta That Lotus was great wasn't it? I got a few of it spitting flames which is what I was trying to to but I prefer the shot of it posted here. The other car I thought looked really neat was Lings Fiesta - very tidy looking car that.

I really hope that the BTRDA championship is back at Lydden next year - it was a great meeting.
Old 13 Sep 2018, 22:45 (Ref:3849965)   #13
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Ta If people are laying underneath their car I tend to assume they've got better things to do than talk to me (although thinking about it I should probably have been making the tea ). Was it a recurrence of the same problem in the final?
Sort of....
In heat 2 a bolt had come out of the steering rack clamp and another one had worked loose, resulting in the rack breaking free of it's brackets and floating free.
The steering got worse as the race wore on and as I crossed the finish line it jammed solid and i went straight on over the big kerb at the chicaine ripping a rear axle mounting and causing an oil leak.
I got the rack sorted and patched up the axle just in time for the final, but it was only a patch job and the axle was moving around far too much.
I decided to retire on third lap rather than roll it into a ball had I thrown it off, which was becoming more and more likely
Old 14 Sep 2018, 14:30 (Ref:3850119)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
I decided to retire on third lap rather than roll it into a ball had I thrown it off, which was becoming more and more likely
Discretion is the better part of valour!
Old 14 Sep 2018, 16:20 (Ref:3850138)   #15
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apologies for being late to the discussion, was a really nice relaxed day at Lydden last Saturday. Pitty about the number of retirements during the day but the racing was spot on. Especially the production 4x4 final, only 3 cars but what a race. Any how here's my vid from the day if anyone interested :

https://youtu.be/TQdFK-1CJwc
Old 26 Sep 2018, 13:18 (Ref:3852770)   #16
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Only took a few pictures and, with all the events in the last month, I only just got round to uploading some!

Few faves...

...and a few more here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/229616...57673832617578