Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Mar 2019, 10:05 (Ref:3890382)   #26
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
After writing all the stuff, work beckoned and I should have made time for proof-reading.

Well, you should have told it where to go!
Old 14 Mar 2019, 11:00 (Ref:3890393)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great intro as ever.

Looking forward to the first race of the season. I hope all the changes to the cars actually translate into good, close racing.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 16:35 (Ref:3890470)   #28
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for that, John. I have now seen that it was apparently mid-engined: https://primotipo.com/tag/1955-australian-grand-prix/

Jack Brabham returned to Oz from his first season in Europe replete with a self-built Cooper T40 Bristol, winning the Port Wakefield race in the 2 litre, 150bhp, 1100lb, mid-engined car. Was it the first time a ‘modern era’ post-war mid-engined car won a national Grand Epreuve?
That was a mistake on my part anyway, I was thinking of his front-engined Cooper T23 Bristol.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 18:11 (Ref:3890491)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Australian Grand Prix memories:

Mansell's tyre exploding and Schumacher running into Hill, both at Adelaide. At Melbourne, Brundell's crash.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 20:33 (Ref:3890515)   #30
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Going to two consecutive GP's that were both Australian..... the 1995 season finale in Adelaide, and the 1996 season opener at Albert Park.
what a great year (or two years i guess) to have been living in Australia!

i would imagine back in the day there were back to back GP's in the same country due to the logistics of the time but surely this is something far more uncommon, even unique, in the modern era.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3890533)   #31
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
what a great year (or two years i guess) to have been living in Australia!

i would imagine back in the day there were back to back GP's in the same country due to the logistics of the time but surely this is something far more uncommon, even unique, in the modern era.
Au never had 2 GPs in same year.

GP transferred from Adelaide to Melbourne, but never held in both places in 1 year.
Old 14 Mar 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3890544)   #32
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Au never had 2 GPs in same year.

GP transferred from Adelaide to Melbourne, but never held in both places in 1 year.
Calendar year, correct - yet the 95 and 96 grand prix were held in Nov 95 and Mar 96, so well within a 12 month period.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:01 (Ref:3890562)   #33
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And we're under way.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:27 (Ref:3890568)   #34
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Kimi!!!
Old 15 Mar 2019, 01:46 (Ref:3890571)   #35
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Unsurprising onboard number 1 - the Williams looked a bit of a handful.

Number 2 - Hamilton had a lively car, but kept forward motion.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 08:57 (Ref:3890609)   #36
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Mercedes on top again.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3890797)   #37
sparkione
Racer

England
Oxfordshire
sparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsparkione should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticRacing View Post
Me too. And also Nigel Nigel Mansell winning in 94, but it was on Adelaide Street Circuit
Er, I'd suggest that was rather secondary to the shenanigans going on between Schumacher and Hill.
Old 15 Mar 2019, 22:14 (Ref:3890868)   #38
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
By winning the 94 Australian GP, Mansell became the last driver to win a GP in his 40s
Old 16 Mar 2019, 05:33 (Ref:3890929)   #39
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I don't seem to have noticed this phrase before:

Christian Horner:
Quote:
But it’s only really when everybody pulls their pants down tomorrow in qualifying that you see where we’re at.
Toto Wolff:
Quote:
That’s why, pants down on Saturday, that’s the first real benchmarking this year.
So, qualifying in 30 minutes. Pants down and away we go.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 05:49 (Ref:3890932)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I don't seem to have noticed this phrase before:

Christian Horner:

Toto Wolff:

So, qualifying in 30 minutes. Pants down and away we go.
Must be the latest in phrase, doing the rounds in the F1 paddock but why pants down?
Old 16 Mar 2019, 07:07 (Ref:3890936)   #41
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Must be the latest in phrase, doing the rounds in the F1 paddock but why pants down?
Because the F1 paddock is like a field of sheep?....
Old 16 Mar 2019, 07:10 (Ref:3890937)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Lewis and Mercedes start 2019, where they left off at the end of 2018, out in front with a Merdcedes front row shut out. Vettel is third followed by Verstappen and Leclerc in 5th. A superb 8th from Lando Norris. Got to feel sorry for Gasly getting caught out, when Kubica had his moment.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 07:12 (Ref:3890939)   #43
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

You have to admire Mercedes's performance. I wonder whether Ferrari have flattered to deceive in testing or if Melbourne is not representative of typical performance.

Bottas does look refreshed. I'm hoping he can take the challenge to Hamilton more over the season.

Excellent job by Lando Norris. Also kudos to Romain Grosjean for pulling his lap out. The midfield will be tightly packed this year and driver performance will come to the fore.

The track evolution in Q1 was interesting, but what an error by Red Bull (and a number of others) to not put one of their drivers out for a second lap. A reminder that you can have all the computing power in the world, but you need to think sensibly too, because Gasly really should have been out on track.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 07:37 (Ref:3890943)   #44
ApexTurtle
Racer

United States
ApexTurtle is a back marker
It looks rather like a carbon copy of last year doesn't it? I'm slightly worried about Red Bull, Horner said they used the Honda 'party mode' yet they're further off Mercedes than last year...
Old 16 Mar 2019, 09:09 (Ref:3890957)   #45
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
You have to admire Mercedes's performance. I wonder whether Ferrari have flattered to deceive in testing or if Melbourne is not representative of typical performance.

Bottas does look refreshed. I'm hoping he can take the challenge to Hamilton more over the season.

Excellent job by Lando Norris. Also kudos to Romain Grosjean for pulling his lap out. The midfield will be tightly packed this year and driver performance will come to the fore.

The track evolution in Q1 was interesting, but what an error by Red Bull (and a number of others) to not put one of their drivers out for a second lap. A reminder that you can have all the computing power in the world, but you need to think sensibly too, because Gasly really should have been out on track.
Reminds me of the time when Kravitz dived into a pit garage and told them it was raining and the guy watching the weather radar told him it wasn't!

Sent from my Moto C Plus using Tapatalk
Old 16 Mar 2019, 09:33 (Ref:3890960)   #46
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

It should be an operational golden rule of the teams to be on track at the end of Q1.
Old 16 Mar 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3890971)   #47
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexTurtle View Post
It looks rather like a carbon copy of last year doesn't it? I'm slightly worried about Red Bull, Horner said they used the Honda 'party mode' yet they're further off Mercedes than last year...
if i was renault i’d be trying to figure out ways of anonymously highlighting that on social media
Old 16 Mar 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3890989)   #48
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
What, in a sort we’re **** but so are they basis?
Old 16 Mar 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3890996)   #49
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Some answers after quali but still many questions, but mercedes looking good
Old 16 Mar 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3890998)   #50
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup, strong sense of déjÃ* vu with that Quali result. It is a funny kind of track though, as was proven last year.

Norris did alright didn't he? That was good to see and a refreshing change from having Alonso talking himself up in a bad car.