Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:23 (Ref:2149997)   #251
Atomic UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wherever I Lay My Hat
Atomic UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no doubt GM are in a difficult situation.
Naturally they want competition in ALMS, but they can't force teams to join them, conversely, as previously mentioned, the PR it gets with the Corvette Corrals etc, is second to none in terms of promotion.

In Europe, Le Mans is such a flagship event, GM need to win it to help promote Corvette and by dropping out of ALMS, they would drop the ball in term of development as I doubt the FIA GT, LMS races alone would provide a) enough events and b) the interest to keep Corvette at the top of their game.

That said, the likes of LAA and Callaway are doing a sterling job in promoting Corvette in Europe and I think their dedication is being rewarded now with a greater input from the States.

All in all, I think the future for Corvette Racing is looking brighter than it has in a while and I guess that may result in a future LMP1 GM entry while perhaps private C6R, Z06R and perhaps ZR1Rs teams take over the battles in GT1 & GT2 in ALMS.

The Corvette Racing presence continues to grow in Europe with entries in GT1, GT2, GT3 and now GT4, with even Britcar seeing the Xero Competition C5 LMGT entry for a full season and with websites like www.corvettemotorsport.com and www.corvetteracing.co.uk providing additional information, it can only generate greater interest which equals more support.

Good times.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2150024)   #252
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic UK
There is no doubt GM are in a difficult situation.
Naturally they want competition in ALMS, but they can't force teams to join them, conversely, as previously mentioned, the PR it gets with the Corvette Corrals etc, is second to none in terms of promotion.

In Europe, Le Mans is such a flagship event, GM need to win it to help promote Corvette and by dropping out of ALMS, they would drop the ball in term of development as I doubt the FIA GT, LMS races alone would provide a) enough events and b) the interest to keep Corvette at the top of their game.

That said, the likes of LAA and Callaway are doing a sterling job in promoting Corvette in Europe and I think their dedication is being rewarded now with a greater input from the States.

All in all, I think the future for Corvette Racing is looking brighter than it has in a while and I guess that may result in a future LMP1 GM entry while perhaps private C6R, Z06R and perhaps ZR1Rs teams take over the battles in GT1 & GT2 in ALMS.

The Corvette Racing presence continues to grow in Europe with entries in GT1, GT2, GT3 and now GT4, with even Britcar seeing the Xero Competition C5 LMGT entry for a full season and with websites like www.corvettemotorsport.com and www.corvetteracing.co.uk providing additional information, it can only generate greater interest which equals more support.

Good times.
Very, very well said, Atom!

For us in our dufferage, we remember getting our little Corvette-loving hearts excited, then broken, back in 1963:

We could only weep and wail and wonder what might have been. Well, now IT IS and I, for one, am lovin' it!! The future looks great.

GO, CORVETTE!!

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 12 Mar 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2150113)   #253
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Very, very well said, Atom!

For us in our dufferage, we remember getting our little Corvette-loving hearts excited, then broken, back in 1963:

We could only weep and wail and wonder what might have been. Well, now IT IS and I, for one, am lovin' it!! The future looks great.

GO, CORVETTE!!
David,

You couldn't have said it better. We all got our hopes up in 1960 when Fitch and Grossman Drove the Cunningham Corvette to 8th overall at LeMans and then the Grand Sport was developed a few years later and we had visions of Cobra, Corvette and Ferrari GTO battles all over the world. However, except at Sebring & Daytona, Corvette was never very competitive in world-wide GT competion until the arrival of the P&M boys in 1999 and now we'd just like to revel in it for a while.

DK
Old 12 Mar 2008, 20:41 (Ref:2150288)   #254
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as ethanol is done right...not sacrificing green space in the US or any other country. Then I think it will be a great way to have clean racing and high performance sports cars. It will be tough to produce enough of it to put much of a dent in the rest of worlds need for fuel. If done correctly though it can be a baby step in the right direction. The only reason that there is any issues from all sides is that environmentalist want to make sure that this helps the environment and not cause further harm. While the energy companies and corporate backed politicians want to make sure that the money keeps rolling in. Hopefully racing will be able to stay relatively immune to this BS.
Old 12 Mar 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2150329)   #255
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
If it was about anything but politics, we could get it from Brazil cheaper than the cheapest produced here.
I find the Chevy boys using alcohol to be asinine as it is a dead pig in the water, and unless they are going start hyping Corvettes to the farmers and co-ops that get the subsidies, it serves no purpose.
In the bizarre way US gearheads businesses and publications are now publishing, in high performance magazines articles on alcohol powered cars and the high buck carbs and fuelie systems now being developed, but at least, usually, one of the first things they mention is, if your street rod gets low gas mileage now, it will get a good deal worse on alcohol.

Using alcohol, which only exists because politicians cut deals to tax the huddled masses, to pay the subsidies, without dealing with politics involved.
If anyone can do that hell has frozen over.
Bob
Old 12 Mar 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2150333)   #256
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
David,

You couldn't have said it better. We all got our hopes up in 1960 when Fitch and Grossman Drove the Cunningham Corvette to 8th overall at LeMans and then the Grand Sport was developed a few years later and we had visions of Cobra, Corvette and Ferrari GTO battles all over the world. However, except at Sebring & Daytona, Corvette was never very competitive in world-wide GT competion until the arrival of the P&M boys in 1999 and now we'd just like to revel in it for a while.
DK
It is sad, that the gent/s who wanted to start a specialty/kit car racing series, based mainly on the various Cobras and Corvettes, were quite bluntly told to shut up and go away some years back.(Especially by Chebby)
It would have been interesting to see how quick these cars really are on a track.
bob
Old 15 Mar 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2152759)   #257
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lou Gigilotti has a new site up for the ALMS team.
http://www.lgmracing.com/

L.P.
Old 22 Mar 2008, 18:29 (Ref:2159094)   #258
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So it looks like the PSI C6.R and C5-R are being run as the DKR Engineering entries in the FFSA.(?) Does anyone know if there are plans to run the cars anywhere else this year?

L.P.
Old 24 Mar 2008, 09:34 (Ref:2160136)   #259
JorritVD
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
JorritVD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
So it looks like the PSI C6.R and C5-R are being run as the DKR Engineering entries in the FFSA.(?) Does anyone know if there are plans to run the cars anywhere else this year?

L.P.
At the Spa 24h and maybee sme other races in FiaGT.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2161089)   #260
Sportscarguy08
Racer

Sportscarguy08 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Corvettes looking strong this season (in Europe). They already won their first race of the year. DKR is a new team that is running the PSI cars. From what I heard they are only running the cars and have not actually purchased them.

(Link)
Old 25 Mar 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2161374)   #261
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscarguy08
Corvettes looking strong this season (in Europe). They already won their first race of the year. DKR is a new team that is running the PSI cars. From what I heard they are only running the cars and have not actually purchased them.
It would be nice to see someone run these cars to their potential as it seems PSI sort of did a mediocre job with them last year after the first FIA-GT race.

DK
Old 26 Mar 2008, 06:08 (Ref:2161770)   #262
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
First in-car from the LG Motorsports #28 Riley C6 GT-2 @ Sebring.

www.lgmracing.com/lgm-0801-sebring.wmv

Enjoy, I did. The player window says Watkins Glen but it is Sebring.

L.P.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2161831)   #263
Atomic UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wherever I Lay My Hat
Congratulations to DKR, an excellent win for them.

SRT really didn't seem to have lady luck on their side and it sounds like they
could have taken a win in race 1 with better luck with the tyres.

Already it's shaping up to be a fine Corvette year.
Old 26 Mar 2008, 09:03 (Ref:2161841)   #264
Atomic UK
Rookie

United Kingdom
Wherever I Lay My Hat
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
First in-car from the LG Motorsports #28 Riley C6 GT-2 @ Sebring.

www.lgmracing.com/lgm-0801-sebring.wmv

Enjoy, I did. The player window says Watkins Glen but it is Sebring.

L.P.
Thanks for that, much better quality than last year's footage, although was that practice?

Certainly looks like their GT-2 car is an 'easy' drive, although I'm sure it's not!
Old 26 Mar 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2161980)   #265
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic UK
Thanks for that, much better quality than last year's footage, although was that practice?

Certainly looks like their GT-2 car is an 'easy' drive, although I'm sure it's not!
It was from the race.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2163134)   #266
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Doug Fehan and Johnny O'Connell did an interview regarding Corvette's future. Very interesting and posted on the Corvetteracing site. See here: http://www.corvetteracing.com/histor.../stpete2.shtml

It appears they will definately be using Cellulosic E85 starting at St. Petersburg race and Doug says that he expects GT1 will be no more after 2010 and that a single GT class will result that is similar to today's GT2. An interesting read.

DK
Old 27 Mar 2008, 15:56 (Ref:2163140)   #267
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Quote:
Doug Fehan and Johnny O'Connell did an interview regarding Corvette's future. Very interesting and posted on the Corvetteracing site. See here: http://www.corvetteracing.com/histor.../stpete2.shtml

It appears they will definately be using Cellulosic E85 starting at St. Petersburg race and Doug says that he expects GT1 will be no more after 2010 and that a single GT class will result that is similar to today's GT2. An interesting read.
DK
What a bunch of BS hyperboles about the alcohol used, and lying understatements about alcohol performance.
In drag racing AA/gas cars were slower than AA/Alcohol, and both ran no performance boosters in the fuel.

He must have had a hard time keeping a straight face.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 16:26 (Ref:2163164)   #268
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:

DK
Yes it is a rather interesting read.

L.P.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 02:30 (Ref:2178495)   #269
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
I'm not sure if this has been posted or if this is the right place but here is a nice 1 hour review of last years (2007) 24 hours of Spa.

http://www.corvettemotorsport.com/review/spa.htm

DK
Old 16 Apr 2008, 03:42 (Ref:2178508)   #270
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I think it may have been posted before but still well worth watching again, great onboard shots in different cars.
Old 7 May 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2196153)   #271
vorsprung
Veteran

vorsprung should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Autoextremist GM management has buried the "P1-evo Corvette".
Old 8 May 2008, 19:01 (Ref:2197100)   #272
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Not quite" buried according to AutoWeek.

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 9 May 2008, 15:54 (Ref:2197685)   #273
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That LGM car sounds pretty spiffing. Mind you, that new V8 Vantage looks swift too.
Old 9 May 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2197695)   #274
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David
"Not quite" buried according to AutoWeek.
I sincerly hope they havent abondoned the idea . I mean , they are a crack outfit in Gt1 , P2 probably doesnt interest them so the next logical step should be the top class and a crack at Le Mans proper .

Love to see that engine in a proto !
Old 9 May 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2197702)   #275
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have!
Lister Storm.